FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Do I really need a 3d TV

12th Man

Is there a good reason out there to buy a 3d tv or should I say 3d ready tv?

Do I need to buy a 3d blue ray player to play disc's that haven't been made yet.

and what happens to the ubiquitous DVDs.

Is it just a novelty factor thing?

Was thinking of buying one but the more I look in to it the more dissuaded I become.

3D is affy clever and works well for certain things but once the initial novelty wears off it becomes a bit tiresome IMO,was meant to be the next big thing but i can count on one hand the number i have have fitted in the last year, and prices have fallen through the floor, good HD is the bollox :twothumbsup:

3D is affy clever and works well for certain things but once the initial novelty wears off it becomes a bit tiresome IMO,was meant to be the next big thing but i can count on one hand the number i have have fitted in the last year, and prices have fallen through the floor, good HD is the bollox :twothumbsup:

Lg offer 7 pairs of glasses with a tv but the refresh rates seem too slow per eye.

Othere tvs have the flickering glasses which will switch per eye with 2d on a 3d blueray. think only half a dozen films have been made in 3d and no one transmits in 3d yet its taken long enough to get Alba on freeview.

Think Ill go for a good HD.

3D is great !!! Have seen a few demos over here, and know someone who has one, but like Plasma & LCD in recent years and more recently LED and OLED its an emerging technology and could develop in ways not yet thought of (or at least not yet marketed by the vendors). Its also still more expensive than it needs to be so personally I would hold off.

Agree with those that say wait or who suggest to invest in a good quality HD screen and I would go further and say to make sure you buy one with as high a refresh rate as you are willing to pay for and dont scrimp on the HDMI cables to hook each component together either - they are expensive for the good ones but well worth it in terms of picture quality.

I know we will eventually buy 3D, but for now we are waiting on price drops and higher availability of 3D programming. There is talk of quite a few of the larger sporting events being routinely broadcast in 3D in the near future (the last Superbowl was rumoured to be getting that treatment but it didnt happen) .... once big events like the SB, or the World Cup or Olympics start being routinely offered in 3D then the sales will definitely take off ..... and for those programs still in 2D, the image quality on the 3D screens I have seen that have been displaying 2D programming have also been excellent...... but still gonna wait until they are more mainstream !

and dont scrimp on the HDMI cables to hook each component together either - they are expensive for the good ones but well worth it in terms of picture quality.

I personally wouldn't advise anyone to spend more than ?20 on HDMI cables and generally the one's that come with the product will do the job as well as any vastly overpriced "branded" cables.At short lengths and 1080i I defy anyone to see any difference in actual picture quality and until you run 10-20 meters at 1080p (even then I'd be sceptical) I certainly would buy "hi-quality" interconnecting cable

Expensive or not...

fair comment .... but I know over here they sell standard cables for about $5 - $10 and you can definitely see the difference when compared to one at $30 - $40 (I know because I had one, then the other) ... However, I was too stingy to go to the "monster" cables at $80 - $90 so you may well be right (I will defer to your better knowledge given your line of work).