FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Ashes

Dmacca

the aussies could use some good scottish cricketer's :P

the pom's seem to get there's from sth. africa :D

There have been quite a few Scots play for England, the most recent, I think, being Gavin Hamilton who is mentioned somewhere else in this thread. In the 1970s Mike Denness captained England 28 times. He was replaced by Tony Grieg, who, born in South Africa, only qualified for England through his Scottish father. Another captain, the most famous, or contraversial of all, was Douglas Jardine of the infamous 'bodyline' series. He was born in India, and again, only qualified for England through his Scottish parents.

Getting back on track, I think this Ashes series, although exciting, has been contested by the two weakest teams in many a decade. The Aussies have not yet recovered from losing Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist and an opening bat (whose name escapes me) all in one go. England are not the same without Pietersen, and they can't seem to work out who their best fast bowlers are. My money will be on the Aussies winning comprehensively down under, next time.

The only people who should get honours are the Aussie Selectors for not picking a spinner.

I also don't think that this achievment is as big as 04. Freddie isn't really an exceptional cricketer, Botham was a much better all rounder and he was pretty anonymous in that final test in my opinion.

Congratulations England , thoroughly deserved . Might shut up the arrogant Aussies for a bit .

The problem as I see it DC is that the reverse situation is also true. Is the result the lesser of two evils .... not sure!!

When it comes to cricket the Australian arrogance knows no bounds I for one am delighted England hammered them .

p.s. The only time I want England to win any sporting contest is The Ashes .

Firstly congrats England - boy that hurt.

Next, the Aussies aren't arrogant, they are merely supremely confident. That comes from being rated No1 for the last 15 years. For the moment they will have to rebuild towards No1.

The series wasn't as good standard as 2005 but no doubt the better team won. The England team are 1 or 2 South Africans away from being the no 1 ranked nation.

Can't wait for revenge at the Gabba in Nov 2011!