FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pele's New Book

Pele_Is_God

Thanks to all who responded to my query at 14....

Looking forward to picking up my signed copy tomorrow, although I've been told it's for my Xmas stocking, and not to be read until the 25th Dec!

y'see thats the bit I'm confused at. Does the book not come out in december? I ordered a signed copy, so am I able to pick it up anytime after tommorrow?

See here :

Join Steve Paterson for the launch of this candid and brutally honest memoir, recounting the heady days of footballing success, twinned with the devastating hubris of his addictive personality. It is a heart-rending and insightful account of one of the most fascinating players and managers in the Scottish game.

Steve will be signing copies of Confessions of a Highland Hero in the Kingsmill Suite at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, Inverness from 7.30pm onwards. To reserve a signed copy please contact Waterstone's on 01463 233 500.

I'm hoping so. I phoned the Waterstones number - they took a note of my number and said they'd call me back..

:argue:

I also phoned waterstones today and asked if we had to reserve a signed copy they just said show up on the night (thrusday) and he'll sign it

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting a bit confused now. I fancy popping down to Waterstones on Saturday, and under my impression, and from what I've seen from other book signings there, you pick up a book, go over the auther at the table, they sign, you pay for it and away you go.

I spoke to someone in Waterstones earlier today, and they said that he's definately i on Saturday, presumably signing books.

Just spoken again to Waterstones who have confirmed Steve will also be signing copies at the stadium (Kingsmills Suite) tonight at 7.30pm.

Was fortunate enough to get an invite (well, I hijacked a Trust Invite....lol) to attend the actual launch which took place tonight before the signing and it was great to see a very healthy looking Pele again.

Pele mingled with everyone before taking his place in the spotlight and he spoke very openly and honestly about what he's been through and how the book came into being. I've read a couple of pages and it looks like it's going to prove to be a very interesting and worthwhile read.

For those who missed the signing tonight, he will be in Waterstones on Saturday signing copies around mid-day.

Guest Mahonio

Where can i get a copy because i live in Thurso, will all Book shops have them? Looked on Clubshop Website and saw nothing or is that because it ain't out yet?

Someone help :rolleyes::lol::lol: .

As the "official" launch at 6:30pm was by invitation, with signing open to all from 7:30pm then it's tough to judge how many people passed through as they were coming and going.

Pele had been there pretty much all day doing interviews with TV, Radio and Press so it probably made sense to control the numbers in the evening as he must have been pretty zonked by then.

I've now managed to read the first half dozen chapters...to quote the man himself "I kept the chapters short and the letters big, so it's easy reading"...and I agree that it is an extremely easy and interesting read. If any of you have read Bill Connollys biographies then the writing here seems to have been approached from a similar angle....sometimes life is chit, but you have to be able to look back and appreciate that there's a little humour in it.

I've read a couple of pages and it looks like it's going to prove to be a very interesting and worthwhile read.

I've now managed to read the first half dozen chapters...to quote the man himself "I kept the chapters short and the letters big, so it's easy reading"

If mine arrives dog-eared, I know why :rolleyes:

still, the book is supposed to come out in December. I think its a case of waiting until it comes out before collecting it.

tiv, the 31st December publication date will be the 'official' release date the publisher has allocated to the book, but in practice there should be no problem picking it up today. I worked for Waterstone's for six years and found that the majority of books became available several weeks before the slkated publication date. The only titles that stuck to the official date were the massive sellers, such as Harry Potter, which were strictly embargoed so that all retailers began selling them at exactly the same time.

As for having reserved a signed copy, Pele will probably have been asked to sign a certain amount of stock that can be set aside for people who can't make the signing. If you can and want to meet Pele and get the book signed personally, you should just go down at the time, pick a book off the pile and get it signed, then tell the guys in the shop to cancel your reservation. It won't be any problem for them as you'll still be buying a copy of the book from the shop.

For those who missed the signing tonight, he will be in Waterstones on Saturday signing copies around mid-day.

Cheers for that, was a bit confused as to when the actual signing was.

I'll be there, should make a good Xmas present for the old man. :rolleyes:

Enjoying what I have read so far. Deliberately haven't picked it up today as I know I won't be able to put it down.

It was great to see him looking so well and speaking so frankly about the highs and lows of his life.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Steve-P...s-up.5821466.jp

"I'm keen to get back into football but I don't think I'll come back as a manager. A chairman would be mad to hire me, it would be too big a gamble that I may relapse. I think I've blown it now, I've had my time. My management career ended when I should have been coming into my prime."

Robbo (Manager); Pele (DoF); Wilson (coach); Christie (coach)????

So 3 members of staff that have all been a success with ICT. Doesn't sound the worst option to me.

Edited by starchief

Kev it's ?16.99, but on offer at ?14.99 at the moment. We'll be there on Saturday to get our copy signed.

When you start to find out about the demons he was battling, makes his achievements and all he did for ICTFC all the more impressive!

Well done Pele - hope it's sells out! :lol: ;) :025:

Mrs PB

still, the book is supposed to come out in December. I think its a case of waiting until it comes out before collecting it.

tiv, the 31st December publication date will be the 'official' release date the publisher has allocated to the book, but in practice there should be no problem picking it up today. I worked for Waterstone's for six years and found that the majority of books became available several weeks before the slkated publication date. The only titles that stuck to the official date were the massive sellers, such as Harry Potter, which were strictly embargoed so that all retailers began selling them at exactly the same time.

As for having reserved a signed copy, Pele will probably have been asked to sign a certain amount of stock that can be set aside for people who can't make the signing. If you can and want to meet Pele and get the book signed personally, you should just go down at the time, pick a book off the pile and get it signed, then tell the guys in the shop to cancel your reservation. It won't be any problem for them as you'll still be buying a copy of the book from the shop.

aye cheers for clearing that up, I'll either head down tomorrow or just pick it up next week. happy days.

looking forward to the book, good to see pele back as well.

Quite a few of us, should by now have finished reading Pele's book, and it will be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.

I found it to be a very well written book - difficult to put down, and in many respects quite an eye opener. Steve "Pele" Paterson turns out to be as interesting a character as the likes of George Best, Jim Baxter and even Jimmy Greaves.

Pele is entitled to claim a huge slice of credit for turning ICT into a force to be reckoned with in Scottish football circles. At the same time it must be questionable how long he would have lasted in the job, and how much would he have achieved if he hadn't been fortunate in surrounding himself with stalwarts such as Alex Caldwell, Duncan Shearer and John Docherty. I loved his tribute to John Doc :

John is a man of genuine character and integrity and is held in the highest esteem by all those fortunate enough to have come in contact with him. A benevolent uncle type to the players and a sounding board for the boss. Football needs men like John Docherty.

Pele's not quite so fulsome in praising Robbo, of whom he describes :

The beneficiary of much of the effort Duncan (Shearer) and I put in and the signings we had made, he gained promotion the following season.

No further comments on dear old Robbo!

Fascinating stuff, and quite easily the best reading matter I've come across in a long time.

Robbo did sign a couple of good players,

Some of the best ICT signings were signed by Robbo in the pre-season before the start of ICT's first SPL season. Ian Black, Juanjo, Darren Dods, Graham Bayne to name but a few.