FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is Being ICT Manager Easy?

davieB

Looks like the Caley 'Curse' maybe about to strike again with Brewster supposedly having one more game to prove himself ('mon the Bairns!!! :001:).

So that'll be our last 3 managers who've gone on to 'bigger and better' things, and promptly fallen flat on their arses.

Pele failed at Aberdeen after doing so well here, Robbo failed at Hearts after doing so well here, Brewster is making an even bigger mess at Utd, after he did ermmmmm....ok here.

Charlie seems to have fitted into the managerial role well enough, despite many unconvinced voices when he was appointed,  and with us sitting in 5th everything's looking rosy for him.

What is it about ICT that makes managing us appear relatively cushy, in comparison to these 'bigger and better' clubs who seem ready to fire at will?

Less distractions in Inverness, team spirit (judging by Bayne's interview), a good board of directors, an underdog mentality

I think it is a combination of things but we obviously can't see the effort that is put in behind closed doors at ICT... I think having the right man in charge means a lot but also having no pressure or expectation from the fans and board helps alot.

I would say that one of our biggest strengths is the settled squad and the team spirit that this breeds.

For all his faults, Pele put together a good squad at ICT, and Robbo, Brew and now Charlie have only had to make minor adjustments to it. The players have come up through the ranks together, been written off as no-hopers together, and also succeeded together.

The job isnt 'easy', but perhaps ICT managers can concentrate better as they dont need to check the car park every 15 minutes to see if the Chairman has removed the sign beside their parking spot and replaced it with another name, or check whether the handyman is oiling the hinges on the revolving door !

CC may have a lot to learn - and I am sure he would freely admit that - but in the last few weeks, we have seen that he can obviously read the game and make telling substitutions that affect the outcome - something that none of our managers have really done that well before.

It's not that long ago people were calling for Charlie's head!  Whilst I don't agree with some of his methods, he's definitely a quality manager.

Hopefully he's here to stay for the longest ICT Manager's stint yet!  We need to give him time to build the team, and you never know, accomplish a regular Top 6 finish!

Rankin will come good, his confidence must be sky high after Saturday!

I think the best thing about our team is the spread of age amongst it. We don't have a very important group of 30 plusses needing to be replaced or too many youngsters. We've got a good mix and when some people get too old or are surplus they are easily moved on and one or two folk come in to replace them.

This means there is seldom any great upheavel of the squad like we have seen at say Livi over the seasons. The new guys then have to work their way into the team slowly but surely over time. There is hardly ever any pressure on them to go in straight away and get results though this season we might have seen an exception in Rankin.

Look at say Dods, getting on a bit now and maybe moving on who knows, but if he was to go we have Munro and Caff who can aid any new player into the side or indeed in the case of Caff, fill in in place of Dods.

Come to think of it, what is the largest number of players we have signed in a close season for the following campaign?

You could say Robertson and Brewster got their "dream jobs" on the back of Pele's signings.  Of the 14 players used on Saturday 9 were signed at one time by Pele who left the club in 2002.

Pele never gets the credit he deserves from the press and he certainly deserves another decent job.

I'll tell you one person who will give Steve Paterson for building the team, someone who has been upset that Pele hasn't received the credit he deserves over the years.  That's our very own Charlie Christie, who really appreciates the foundations put in place by our former manager.

To suggest that this is Brewster's team made me laugh out loud.

I'll tell you one person who will give Steve Paterson for building the team, someone who has been upset that Pele hasn't received the credit he deserves over the years.  That's our very own Charlie Christie, who really appreciates the foundations put in place by our former manager.

Congratulations L_G that is the best post I have read on this site EVER

I think it speaks volumes for Steve Paterson when you go back to his last team selection, almost 4 years ago :-  Brown; Tokely, Mann, Munro, Golabek ; McBain, Duncan, Hart, Robson; Wyness, Ritchie:

Pele signed them all, and 8 of them still play here.

Unbelievable consistancy.

Thank goodness we've got Charlie Christie at the helm to carry on the good work, can't imagine it's easy though. :003:

Pele, Robbo and Brew might have taken their knowledge, enthusiasm and coaching skills to their new dream teams but what they couldn't take with them was the deeply ingrained Highland fighting spirit that our Club has been blessed with. 

:brave:

Can I just point out two things

Pele's failing at Aberdeen was not due to his managerial ability but to the ilness of alcoholism.

Robbo did not fail at Hearts. He had no intention of being anyones Puppet so didn't fit with the Lithuanian philosophy.

As for Brewster, he came to a team that was well established and hungry for success. He didn't actually do anything, other than develop added fitness in some of our guys, but he took all the accolades though. He's now experiencing what its like to try and build a team from next to nothing, and with a very impatient director on his back 24/7. If he comes through this season beating relegation then I think he'll go on to show up as a good manager. I wish him well.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

As you know I have reserved my judgement on Charlie, however I have to tell you  that our celebrated midfielder is doing well mid season and Charlie I wish you well, who by the way was that total whanker attacking you in the Courier last week?.