DUFC game off: CONFIRMED

MabawswaRichie

I'm sure I could have travelled from Inverness to Dundee and back again if I put my mind to it. It's a whole different ball game expecting 5000 to do it without incident in the prevaling climate.

10,000 people travelled on mountain roads to Scotland's Ski Areas on Sunday from all parts of Scotland and beyond. Should the ski areas have stayed closed to stop these folk travelling for their own safety and to prevent any possible incidents that the emergency services have to deal with?

I'm sure I could have travelled from Inverness to Dundee and back again if I put my mind to it. It's a whole different ball game expecting 5000 to do it without incident in the prevaling climate.

10,000 people travelled on mountain roads to Scotland's Ski Areas on Sunday from all parts of Scotland and beyond. Should the ski areas have stayed closed to stop these folk travelling for their own safety and to prevent any possible incidents that the emergency services have to deal with?

Steady on ski freak. The general point you make may well be relevant but you have grossly overstated the figures. The official statistics I got from Cairngorm Mountain on Sunday afternoon were 2000 for both Saturday and Sunday. Nevis Range quoted 800-900 for the weekend. These are official figures released by the resorts. Glencoe was closed and I doubt if the Lecht and Glenshee would have made up anything like the difference between reality and what you are attempting to claim.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Steady on ski freak. The general point you make may well be relevant but you have grossly overstated the figures. The official statistics I got from Cairngorm Mountain on Sunday afternoon were 2000 for both Saturday and Sunday. Nevis Range quoted 800-900 for the weekend. These are official figures released by the resorts. Glencoe was closed and I doubt if the Lecht and Glenshee would have made up anything like the difference between reality and what you are attempting to claim.

Perhaps you should have a word with your colleagues at the BBC then, Charles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11912090

People talk of shopping centres. People talk of ski centres. What people fail to mention is none of these take an ambulance crew and 30 odd policemen out of their normal duties.

As I've said several times already, the emergency services had not given any instruction to the SPL about lack of resources. Whilst I appreciate services may well have been stretched in the central belt, conditions in Inverness were not that bad and their would almost certainly have been no trouble providing personnel for the match....in fact, I wonder how many officers ended up with little/nothing to do as they had been rota'd on to work and ended up not being needed. With police depts already facing the threat of cuts, having the SPL wasting man hours will not be helping.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1