FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Likely Lads.

Does anyone remember an episode of The Likely Lads where Bob and Terry go to the ends of the earth not to find out the result of an England game until they get to see the TV highlights? The different dodges to keep away from a telly and from everything that was happening at the venue were amazing and hilarious.

Now, fortunately I have to work on Friday (yes you DID hear correctly!)but I have been sparing a thought for others who may not be as well placed to avoid the nonsense at the Abbey... which reminded me of that Likely Lads episode.

I don't know about others on here, but I am already sick to the teeth with stuff in the media about this massive, publicly funded beano for the purpose of introducing yet another freeloader on to the Civil List.

So does anyone have any suggestions to offer to other potential sufferers as to how to avoid all the fuss surrounding the Royal Wedding on Friday?

And come to think of it, Bob and Terry's England game, after all their frantic efforts, was postponed in the end due to a waterlogged pitch.

So at the end of a season which has seen football matches put off for reasons as diverse as non existent snow problems on the A9, allegedly poor underfoot conditions round about stadia and floodlight failure in addition to your regular flooded pitches....

Who can come up with the best excuse to POSTPONE the Royal Wedding?

I'll set the ball rolling by suggesting avoiding it by working for Highland Council who have taken the very wise decision not to waste scarce public money by shutting down for the day.

And perhaps a really good reason for postponing it would be if the Best Man's Nazi uniform didn't arrive in time.

Any other suggestions?

So does anyone have any suggestions to offer to other potential sufferers as to how to avoid all the fuss surrounding the Royal Wedding on Friday?

Tune to the NASA website and watch the last ever Space Shuttle launch !

Edit: sorry, 2nd last Shuttle launch .... STS134 (Endeavour) was supposed to be the last one, and goes up on Friday with the husband of that shot congresswoman on board, but one more has been added for June next year via a special act of Congress !!!

I'll set the ball rolling by suggesting avoiding it by working for Highland Council who have taken the very wise decision not to waste scarce public money by shutting down for the day. And perhaps a really good reason for postponing it would be if the Best Man's Nazi uniform didn't arrive in time. Any other suggestions?

Have Harry take his brother on a stag night and instead of putting him on a train to deepest Wales, smuggle him into the aforementioned Space Shuttle !

Fly West at a speed that means your clock is always behind the scheduled start time. Eventually you will cross the International date line and it will all be over ......

Prince Philip would be in attendance and they've invited foreign dignitaries!!!

Is that not one and the same thing? :biggrin:

Know what you mean, though. Slitty eyes and all that! That could be quite hilarious given that the old fossil is 90 and probably gives even less of a toss what he says nowadays.

What was it he said about driving instructors in Oban... he was surprised they could stay sober enough.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Talking of the Likely Lads, I enjoyed the episode where Terry goes through all different countries saying why he dislikes them (everything from Sweden to Saudi Arabia). Then when it's suggested that he's only happy in Britain, he says he can't stand the Scots. Just England...but not the South...and he's never had much time for the Scousers and Mancs. So just the North-East...not that he likes Sunderland mind. He then slags off the part of Newcastle where Bob lives, so it's basically just his street...but he doesn't like his next-door neighbour. So the only place Terry likes is his own home

...and even then he's divorced!

• Agree 1

Any other suggestions?

How's about "revalations" from a local journalist that one party has been involved in the use of "free scoring trialists"! Despite all parties as long as anyone can remember being involved in the same practice,beheading is deemed the only appropriate punishment in this case, game aff

• Agree 2

There is a possibilty of showers in London tomorrow and apparently a certain Mr Doncaster has written to the Palace and others voicing a concern that a combination of the rain and all the horse sh*t on the streets around Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey will make the streets slippy. He is concerned that someone in the crowd might slip and hurt themselves and is demanding that all weddings in the area scheduled for tomorrow be postponed for safety reasons.

I'll set the ball rolling by suggesting avoiding it by working for Highland Council who have taken the very wise decision not to waste scarce public money by shutting down for the day.

Sorry for going off topic but I think that the Highland council missed an opportunity to save money on this occassion.

Employees would have had to be paid anyway so take the wages out of the equation and you are left with additional costs for buildings lighting and heating, vehicle running costs, electrical costs of running computers, telephone call costs and other general running costs.