FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

GRANT MUST STAY !

Fanoffooty

I'm trying to remember, do we have any examples of a player being told they are leaving but the club then doing a u-turn?

There are certainly examples of players being out of contention, or farmed out on loan, but then battling their way back into the managers plans, but I'm not sure if anyone has been publicly released and then offered another contract.

Pritty sure Wyness was transfer listed before hitting form.

Pele used the 'stick you on the transfer list' rouse to good effect on a few occasions, with Wyness being the prime example. I dont think the Rankin situation was overly similar to Granty in that, yes, both were told they could leave, but in Rankin's case, it was the manager who ended up desperately wanting to keep him, whereas in Grant's case, he obviously wants to stay at ICT but the manager is unconvinced ... so far.

Its all carrot and stick .... Granty has been hit with the stick (told he can leave) and this morning the most humongous carrot one of our managers has ever dangled has been deployed where TB has said he may reconsider. Granty effectively has 3 games to grab that carrot and I for one hope he does.

Granty is no world beater, and I hate it when he plays hoofball instead of football but he is a decent, solid centre half who has ICT running through his veins just like Rosscoe, and I would say, just like Russell Duncan too.

Unfortunately, I dont think there is any turning back on the Russell Duncan contract, there definitely seems to be another issue involved here as on those rare occasions when he did get a game, he outperformed those who were selected for his position ... this makes the decision seems less performance related and more of a personnel (or personal) decision.

I hope we retain Granty, and although I would rather he was kept on at ICT, I wish Russell well wherever he ends up.

Oh, and I also fall into the "AYE" category - if it wasnt obvious :lol:

From todays Daily Record

And Butcher was quick to single out old campaigner Munro for a special word of praise.

The stopper rifled home a stunning strike to put Inverness 2-1 up at the start of a chaotic second period and his manager said: "It had to be Grant Munro of all people.

"I've got to say the attitude of Grant, Chris Innes and subs Stuart Golabek, Eric Odhiambo, Russell Duncan and Danni Sanchez, the ones I'd released, was spot on. They showed magnificent character.

"There had been a big black cloud over Caley Thistle - but that was certainly lifted tonight.

"The attitude of the players was spot on and the Celtic game came at the right time. The players had to refocus on this game and nothing else.

"This was a free game for us. We didn't have any pressure to get the result. We just wanted to show that we could play a damn sight better than we did on Saturday.

"We'll have a look again at Grant Munro's situation and he certainly didn't do himself any harm tonight.

"Every player here is playing for their future, contracted or not.

"Grant responded in the right way, the correct way and a magnificent way.

What a cracking game he had and what a goal to cap it off. Even if he is not going to be a regular in the 1st team next season he is a very useful player to have and i hope he is offered a new deal.

The subs were

Jonny Tuffey (staying)

Stuart Golabek

Russell Duncan

Gavin Morrison (staying)

Eric Odhiambo

Dani Sanchez

Alex MacDonald (end of loan)

so yes, DC's highlight is right .... 4 of the subs were players being released, along with the other two he mentioned (Innes/Munro) who started the game ... no need to mention the others as they are staying, or in the case of MacDonald, his loan is ending.

Grant must stay - he has been a loyal servant for years now and is still a good defender. Did he not get man of the match last night?

Come on Terry do a U turn on that one.

It takes a big man to change his mind like this in football. You're a big man Tel. Do it and keep Grant. He was best player on the park on Wednesday despite Celtic's millions.

AYE

and not just because of last night, times this season I have been very critical of his influence and performances in games or lack of it and too often the need for Granty to punt the ball long just to get rid of it, Saturday was a prime example although he wasn't the only one. He is a solid centre back with ICT running through his viens and I reckon he would walk through walls if he could for the good of the club but is this one step too far in his eyes? Club captain then stripped of it, told he is needed then released, I do think part of TBs decision was made rashly but it must also have been one that has weighed on his mind for a while.

The question is would he want to stay after being told he isn't wanted? I agree with a previous post, if TB can find two better CBs then he is an ample third choice and definately the type of player ICT need around for the good of the club and the good of the younger players but he will need to cut out the long punts that the manager and fans clearly don't like should a miraculous u-turn be made.

When I heard the news I said to Caleyjag it is one thing stripping a squad apart but it's another to dice with club legends that the fans regard in the highest esteam as this could be a wrong move towards keeping the backing of the fans, maybe TBs statement last night was to appease the fans or maybe he genuinly believes that his decision has been rash. I do have faith in TB and will back his judgements but would like to see Granty stay.

Na

:rolleyes:

Going by the number of red dots, I'm guessing it was lost on everyone else :lol:

Didn't think u were calling for Grant's head, just found it a bit needless in the spirit of the thread TBH, that's all.

• Agree 1