FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brendan Rodgers and Paul Lambert

bauhaus

As a Reds fan as well i'm quite happy that Liverpool have thought outside the box a bit here. Rogers has a terrific philosophy on football and it was well implemented into the way Swansea play. Liverpool are in desprate need of a shake up and many fans need to wake and realise that they arent part of the top 4 anymore. If Rogers recruits some decent signings and can get them play with the type of flair he demands then i can see them pushing up the table next season.

Lambert is a different kettle of fish. I dont think he should leave Norwich just now. They seem to be at their best under him just now and if he has another decent season at the Canaries there will be bigger intrest in him next summer. If he does go to Villa he needs to be allowed to invest in the playing squad. A couple of signings aside Villa have been using the same squad for the last 3 seasons and its looking stale, they also need to stick by him. 3 managers in 3 seasons is hardly stable.

I think its a step too far for Brendan, Liverpool are a club desperate for success in the EPL and Europe. They will not have the patience to wait (eg Hodgson and Kenny) for him to produce. Id wager that if Liverpool dont qualify for the Champions League at the end of next season he'll be sacked too. As for Lambert, I sincerly hope he continues to carry on with the good work that Agent McLeish was doing :lol: . Again, another impatient club with a govener not prepared to invest in new talent.

As for the Swans and Canaries it really depends who comes in the replace the other managers but I'd suspect they'll struggle along next season but will survive.

Edited by Gringo
typo

I think Rodgers is well capable of managing Liverpool, but whether the owners are prepared to give him time is another question altogether. In my view he would need at least two seasons to get Liverpool back to being a top 4 side.

I think Lambert at Villa will do OK in the short term. They couldn't do much worse than this season, could they? Money needs to be spent so I think his longer term success will depend on how much he gets for new players.

I think both Swansea and Norwich will not do as well without their current managers, but may just do enough to avoid relegation.

What happens to Martinez now? Will he be content to spend another season at Wigan? Where could he go? It seems to be only Chelsea of the bigger clubs who could be in the market to change managers. Personally I think De Mateo has done more than enough to warrant that job but who knows what goes on in Abramovich's head?

Lambert has handed in his resignation this afternoon but it has been rejected. Sounds like he wants to move but Norwich dont want to let him go.

Lambert has done very well and I think he will do well at Villa if he is allowed to reshape the team properly.

Rodgers is a manager i really rate however managing at Liverpool is a huge task and there is so much more expectation at Annfield. I hope if he does move there that he is given time to implement his management style on the players properly

Edited by Libero

I think both are on a hiding to nothing. Both teams and sets of fans are stuck in the past....like aberdeen fans. They think their teams should be among the top contenders. Bottom line, at best, as things stand, Liverpool and Aston Villa should realistically be happy with 6th-10th place finishes in the league. I see that as their level now

Edited by SMEE

Have to say I am a little suprised about Brendan, thought Liverpool would end up going for thr big name, and thought it would be Fabio Capelo, but can see Liverpool improving but it will take two seasons for them to challenge top 4.

As for Lambert, he has been a huge success down south. Expected him to go to bigger things, but maybe not Villa, former European champions, but they are a long long way from those days. Could be a wise move by Paul, as keeping Canaries flying above their post will be harder task next season, whereas Villa couldnt get worse. Can see him taking the EPLs second top English scorer with him, and then they will climb up the table. Two seasons, Villa top half, and even bigger clubs come calling