Sign in to follow this  
IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

Let's go out of Sneck

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, IBM said:

That one is away before my time as well, I first thought it was Rosehaugh House but it is Balmoral Castle from the rear.

There's no fooling some people!  Must try harder...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IBM said:

Have you called in here?

Not sure.   My father did manage to get someone out late one night - can't remember if it was from the hotel or not - to open up the pumps and sell us a gallon of petrol.  Otherwise we wouldn't have made it home.

The Freeburn Hotel at Tomatin.

 

The photgraph below is from 1986.  I don't think the place has ever been open to the public, but I think there's a chance that you will know it.

797054467_002sml.jpg.e4d5e621a5c31715bcd6d73f1c5395b5.jpg

 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Not sure.   My father did manage to get someone out late one night - can't remember if it was from the hotel or not - to open up the pumps and sell us a gallon of petrol.  Otherwise we wouldn't have made it home.

The Freeburn Hotel at Tomatin.

 

The photgraph below is from 1986.  I don't think the place has ever been open to the public, but I think there's a chance that you will know it.

797054467_002sml.jpg.e4d5e621a5c31715bcd6d73f1c5395b5.jpg

 

 

 

My first thought was the old school hostel at Golspie which is now the Drummuie Highland Council Office but it looks to tall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IBM said:

My first thought was the old school hostel at Golspie which is now the Drummuie Highland Council Office but it looks to tall.

Nope.  You are too far north.

There is actually a Scottish football connection from a few years (single figures) back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Nope.  You are too far north.

There is actually a Scottish football connection from a few years (single figures) back.

Last clue - the Scottish football connection would have been in the news in 2012.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2012......Rangers died.....Craig Whyte.......Castle Grant.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:clapoverhead::clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

Castle Grant, just north of Grantown.  Owned in 2012 by Craig Whyte, but (according to Wikipedia) seized by the Bank of Scotland when he refused to make mortgage payments.

I'm guessing that there might have been a few photographs of it in the local news at the time.  Plenty of photos of it online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't have a clue with snorbens last one but this is the hill.

Hill.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, IBM said:

Didn't have a clue with snorbens last one but this is the hill.

Hill.JPG

Ok I’ll a-Ward you that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Ok I’ll a-Ward you that one.

See how the others get on with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, IBM said:

See how the others get on with it.

Never actually been to that precise spot.  But the topography is pretty distinctive, and, using the coastline, I went more or less straight to it on Google Earth.  Then confirmed the name of the hill.

It got me thinking that the hill might appear in the background of some of my own photographs.   Having looked at some online photos of the hill, and checked the direction on Google Earth, I am fairly sure that that's it in the photograph below, behind the people just left of centre. 

No work done on that site this year - another consequence of the pandemic 😷

1283331235_DSCN2661sml.JPG.cf83eb4068a24f5ff8a3ecb3097998a4.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Never actually been to that precise spot.  But the topography is pretty distinctive, and, using the coastline, I went more or less straight to it on Google Earth.  Then confirmed the name of the hill.

It got me thinking that the hill might appear in the background of some of my own photographs.   Having looked at some online photos of the hill, and checked the direction on Google Earth, I am fairly sure that that's it in the photograph below, behind the people just left of centre. 

 

Most of Orkney's kind of flat anyway so the two big hills in Hoy are visible from all over. Ward Hill on the left and Cuilags on the right.

In my shot, the island is Graemsay and Stromness is beyond.

Edited by TheMantis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, though I am sure that you know, my photograph is of the archeological site at the Ness of Brodgar.

One of the most important archaeological sites in Europe, if not the world.  And it receives no government funding.  Criminal.

In a normal year it's only open for the three summer months, when the academics and students are "on holiday".  And this year it didn't open at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been to Hoy but was reading about the old oil storage tanks at Lyness last year which are the same as the ones at Inchindown Ross-shire.  I had been looking at Google Maps so I managed to identify the photo.

Here is another of sunset over Hoy taken from the ferry from Shetland to Orkney on a midsummer night.

PICT2999.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Looks like no one has  :lol:

I thought someone would have found it by the boat. It is an island 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I've been away all weekend. Only just seen it. Don't know it at first glance anyway 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Sorry I've been away all weekend. Only just seen it. Don't know it at first glance anyway 😉

It's not a boat you will have sailed on but you might have seen it on your travels and it's the only one of that type I have seen :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • FB_caley_thisle_online_970x90.jpg

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.