FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Can you remember ?

>His place was on the left side of Greig Street going down towards the bridge and maybe some ten to 15 yards away from the end of the pavement very close to the river. I don't remember any other barber at that location .?<

Yes, you are correct, Scarlet !  There was NO other barber in Greig Street !  And its location was exactly as you describe.

14 hours ago, JockWatt said:

I stands to be corrected, but in addition to my Dad front right, I believe also in the photo are Dupie Mitchell, Butch Sinclair and a guy whose surname was Rizza !

Dad at work.BMP

I don't recognise anyone as Butch. Which one do you think he is?

But I do see - rightmost standing gentleman, with collar and tie - Jags player and trainer George Pyke.

I don't know anyone else.

8 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Nor do I snorbens, but this is presumably a photo of railway employees so it is possible that Butch, who was a driver with my grandad although a bit younger, is in there somewhere.

Charles - aye, the guy I thought was Butch WAS George Pyke !

Butch was a good friend of my parents, but I never really got to know him (although he always recognised me !).

I left the Sneck in 1954 when 22 years of age to enter the English navy for my compulsory 2 years, followed by periods in Buckinghamshire and Edinburgh before arriving in God's country (by "God's" country, of course, I mean Hogan's country !

16 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Jock Watt in average font size and successful attachment on the same post shock. And a piccy of Jock and Scarlet together

image.jpg

BUT - which one is supposed to be me ?  Neither of them have a beard !!!!!!!!!!!!!

IHE , I can't tell from the picture because I've now got Glaucoma. But my memory must  still be no bad the noo if I can get the yardage of Scotty's barber shop right. :crazy:

But the most handsome  one must be S.P., cos his mammy always made sure he was well turned out when he left the house.  Little Lord Fauntleroy didn't have a look in, in thae days. But the reddish scarf is a give-away--any well-trained Pimpernell can see that.

But I have to waver on that one as well otherwise I'd have to admit that Jockie Watt was a  bit of a natty charmer (when he was young) an' all.:lol:

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

image.jpg

Absolutely classic and totally accurate with the possible exception of No 7 since in these days there weren't too many plastic bottles about. And maybe they could have added "three corners = one penalty (or sometimes one goal)" and that the owner of the ball settles all arguments as to whether it was a goal or a "post" if the ball looked close to rolling over one of the jackets. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

sneck post office.png

One of a number of "Delavault Prints" of Inverness round about the turn of the 20th century. Pierre Delavault was the Royal Academy's French art teacher and did a lot of these now quite well known prints. You can see the signature bottom left. And above that.... Viewmaster!! Isn't it incredible the simple pastimes we were content with back in the 60s?

I remember collecting empties when I was about 7 or 8 from the back of Tullochs Café in Fort Augustus, taking them in and getting money back the funny thing was the next day the lady took the empties and refused to give me any money!

Just spent a happy couple of hours on this thread again, going back over old times with some Old Timers......'

Thanks for the memories IHE , great stuff and fine photographs.

You know the old saying..."the more things change the more they stay the same."