FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish Cup Third Round

Robert

1 hour ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Aberdeen thought playing a similar side last year was easy. So far this season we have not achieved much in cup competitions but before then we have three massive league games. One step at a time methinks.

You are right our league games are more important so we can get away from the relegation places but after our dismal display in the other cup games I would hope that we are able to win this game and get through to the next round.

• Like 1

Agreed.

Cowdenbeath are currently 10th in the 18 team Lowland League with 17 points from 13 games (4 wins, 5 draws and 4 defeats).

More pertinently they had a decent run in the League Cup group stages, losing 1-0 to Forfar and St Mirren and drawing 1-1 with Arbroath and Montrose, losing both of those on penalties.

There is no room for complacency.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I can remember those days when we were the 'Cowdenbeath' and looked forward to an away tie at a Scottish league side. They'll be well up for it so lets hope they don't study the Nairn game too much :ponder:

• Agree 2

So much negativity and caution. This should be an straight forward game, playing part time non-league players. If we cant win at home even with our limited quality full time squad then they should take their coats and walk out the door with shame. This is as good an entry round draw as we could hope for and as such expectations should be high that it'll start a decent cup run and gain some much needed cash for squad investment.

Edited by bdu98196
  • Agree 5

On 10/30/2023 at 8:52 AM, bdu98196 said:

So much negativity and caution. This should be a straight forward game, playing part time non-league players. If we cant win at home even with our limited quality full time squad then they should take their coats and walk out the door with shame. This is as good an entry round draw as we could hope for and as such expectations should be high that it'll start a decent cup run and gain some much needed cash for squad investment.

While I agree with the sentiment that we really should be breezing through this tie I can’t help but feel we need to go into it with our eyes wide open. We know from our happy history how the slightest bit of complacency can dump a ‘big’ team out of a cup and Cowdenbeath will be well up for it. So while I’m looking forward to a 4 or 5 goal thumping to ease our way into the 4th round we’ll need to be at our sharpest to make sure we get the job done right.

• Agree 2

It's not complacency, it's showing realistic expectations from our full time team on a home game against part timers in non-leauge football. Too many fans perhaps have now become resigned to the idea that we aren't good fuelled by the downward trend including the Doddsball years.

Throughout our club history at almost any other period a cup draw of this nature fans would 'expect' while still being aware there's a job to be done on the day and look at this as a direct route to the next round.

• Like 1

Cannae disagree with any of that bdu, just me and my accumulated pessimism after nearly 7 decades of hopeful and expected sporting success being mostly trashed - apart that is from the glory years of the Caley Jags rising up through the leagues, I’m probably in need of a voddie or three!

• Like 1

We were comfortable against Bonnyrigg with probably a weaker team than now, although they made us sweat a bit at the end. But Bonnyrigg would easily take about 5 off Cowden. A team that’s 9th in the LL and in their other major Cup, the South Challenge Cup, recently beat a tier 7 side 4-2.
Just start at a tempo and get it done early.

Edited by The Mantis
  • Like 1

I'm in agreement with BDU.  We should be going into this fully expecting the win, and a strong win at that.  Any talk of caution, especially from within the club, will only serve to put doubt in the minds of the players, and we've had enough of that from the previous manager.

Take the reins off, trust the players, and let them give Cowdenbeath a battering.

• Like 2