FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Best loan players

Yngwie

We’ve currently got more loan players in than we’ve ever had before, but we’ve been making use of loans to boost the squad since the club’s early days.

Who do you think was the best loan player we’ve had, in terms of the contribution they made whilst on loan to us?

Aaron Doran - he signed for us on a loan deal for 6 months and was so good that we kept him on and he stayed on long enough to qualify for his testimonial.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, johnh said:

Aaron Doran - he signed for us on a loan deal for 6 months and was so good that we kept him on and he stayed on long enough to qualify for his testimonial.

There's your answer, Yngwie.  You can close the thread now!

• Agree 2

Wyness is another one who initially came in on loan. I don’t recall that he (or Doran for that matter) were standouts during their loan spells but they were obviously good enough to get permanent deals with us and both kicked on from there.

In terms of raw talent loaning Scott Allan and Ryan Christie are probably up there as the best players we've loaned. Thinking about popular players in on loan I recall Martin Glancy being a bit of a fan favourite ("He's short, but he's fancy").

Special mention to Logan Chalmers. Apparently 12 starts including subs, and 5 goals, notably the two late strikes away at Starks Park which had most of us dazed as we left the ground 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RiG said:

In terms of raw talent loaning Scott Allan and Ryan Christie are probably up there as the best players we've loaned. Thinking about popular players in on loan I recall Martin Glancy being a bit of a fan favourite ("He's short, but he's fancy").

But then, the young team even have a song for Wallace Duffy...

Never rated Glancy at all, even in tier 3, although my only good memory of him is an equaliser against Clyde in 1999 which more or less kept us away from them and we went up along with Livi. The ICT supporters' bus never got past Drumochter that day and I remember feeling obliged to post probably my first ever match report on CTO as very few of us were there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnh said:

Which brings the question When is his testimonial match going to take place? Surely he is more deserving than any player we have had. 13 years with us. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I was also at that Clyde game and also remember it for being the only time I saw Glancy score. Wikipedia tells me he got 6 in 3 seasons and was a really poor investment by Pele.

Edited by Yngwie

15 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Don’t think Glancy was a loan, I thought we paid about £25k for him, one of our highest transfer fees!

Ah yeah just checked and he was a permanent signing. Was sure he was a loan first then signed like Wyness. Ho hum.

This is a fun and welcome thread.

I was sure Glancy was a loan signing that was made permanent as well...

Here's a pretty good loan XI:

Dean Brill

Kevin McCann

Stuart McCaffrey

Nauris Bulvitis

Roman Golobart

Scott Allan

David Davis

Logan Chalmers

Aaron Doran

Miles Storey

Dennis Wyness

And some not so good ones:

Zbigniew Malkowski

Andre Blackman

Matthew Elsdon

Steven Watt

Tom Aldred

Billy King

Aiden Chippendale

Larnell Cole

Mitch Curry

Tobi Sho-Silva

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Yngwie said:

I was also at that Clyde game and also remember it for being the only time I saw Glancy score. Wikipedia tells me he got 6 in 3 seasons and was a really poor investment by Pele.

MARTIN GLANCY

Career Stats: 38 appearances, 7 goals
Full Debut: January 9th, 1999 - 2 - 0 Arbroath (League)
First Goal: January 16th, 1999 - Clyde 1 - 1 Inverness CT (League)

No Bio available for Glancy. Looks like he could have been a January signing. No appearances in his final season on our books. Most of his appearances were from the bench. Six League goals and one in the Challenge Cup. His final start was at Cappielow in a 1 - 5 thrashing from Morton, our biggest defeat to that date. He was replaced by Scott McLean after 69 minutes

Season  League Apps Gls GtGR Yel Red W D L
2000/01  SFL First Division 0 0 - 0 0 - - -
1999/00  SFL First Division 8 (17) 4 0.16 1 0 40.0% 28.0% 32.0%
1998/99  SFL Second Division 9 (4) 3 0.23 - - 61.5% 23.1% 15.4%
    17 (21) 7 0.18