FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

McBain's Red Card

ubern

Sorry Johnboy, I do believe you have flipped.

The title of the thread is about Roy McBain and his red card. He fouled the guy, clear cut penalty, nothing soft about it then he gestures and mouths off to the linesman. Guilty as charged I'm afraid, no matter how you try to undress it.

Regarding the penalty, I'm not sure Roy needed to impede Driver as Munro was about to block the cross anyway. Disappointing all round.

Sorry Johnboy, I do believe you have flipped.

The title of the thread is about Roy McBain and his red card.

I was addressing the events that led to McBain's red card, and attempting to explain why the red mist might have descended.

As I said in my post, bad decisions by referees, backed up by their assistants, can seriously affect a players livelihood....

It's not always easy to accept such decisions with good grace.

I might be wrong here.... but I think you might find, maybe just find that Roy McBain would agree with me on this one...

I don't think any of us can say Roy did or didn't deserve to be sent off. You can see what he did (which didn't deserve e red card) but we have no idea what he said to the linesman after the penalty. If it was insulting or abusive the referee has no choice but to send him off.

we have no idea what he said to the linesman after the penalty. If it was insulting or abusive the referee has no choice but to send him off.

Yup - got to agree with that.

HOWEVER - I also see where JB is coming from. The same linesman didn't see anything wrong with Obua steam-rollering Esson in the first half and allowing the goal to stand, yet saw fit to agree something a lot less physical was a penalty, and then when it was saved decided to call over the ref and have McBain sent off.

We dont know what McBain said - that much is true - but I also doubt whether the linesman knows what was said either as there was a collective groan going round the ground and McBain was a fair distance away. Bottom line is that he probably saw pretty much what we did on TV and that appeared to be a reasonably tame gesture. It doesnt excuse Royster, but it backs up the comment someone else made about the linesman having a "history" with ICT.

yeh I agree also - from watching the highlights it does look a little tame - we will never know what he did or didn't say but does look like a poor decision especially when you compare it to what Shrek gets away with week in week out at the home of the Dark Lord....

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

I don't think any of us can say Roy did or didn't deserve to be sent off. You can see what he did (which didn't deserve e red card) but we have no idea what he said to the linesman after the penalty. If it was insulting or abusive the referee has no choice but to send him off.

Bad mouthing the officials has now become part of the modern game. (In fact it has been for some time now)

Good refs will on occasion understand the frustration and feelings of a player who has been on the wrong end of a dubious ruling, and will often issue nothing more than a stern warning.

Unfortunately common sense wasn't applied in this instance, and it has cost us very dearly indeed.

Sorry, you have all lost the plot.

Roy was rightly adjudged to have fouled Driver. Not the last man therefore a booking suffices. Abusing the official seconds later was inexcusable. Red card. Two wrongs don't make a right. Obua challenged for a ball and got the benefit from it. More often than not the keeper gets the benefit, not this time unfortunately for us. Why should the keeper always get the verdict, they get too much protection in my opinion. Annoying when these decisions go against you.

What went on before probably wound the players up, but still no excuse for the needless tackle, needless foul and needless sending off.

I'm not disputing the penalty award - just saying it was one of these that comes into the "soft" category - sometimes given - sometimes not.

McBain could have, and should have been warned about the way he was reacting - A good ref would have done just that - I just don't believe his behaviour merited a straight red card.

Now of course we lose his services for the Celtic game, which doesn't do us any favours. It is extremely harsh.

I think the club should appeal against that decision.

How can you call it extremely harsh? You have no idea what he said to the linesman. If he called him a cheat or something similar it's a certain red card. I thought the yellow was for dissent, which is a caution to his reaction to the penalty decision. Roy is an experienced player and show know better to react like that.

How can you call it extremely harsh? You have no idea what he said to the linesman. If he called him a cheat or something similar it's a certain red card. I thought the yellow was for dissent, which is a caution to his reaction to the penalty decision. Roy is an experienced player and show know better to react like that.

I'm actually quite a good lip reader...

I'm not sure exactly what he said to the linesman but it was something like : ya wucking fanker.

What on earth's wrong with that?

I certainly won't miss him for the next few games.

He is well past his best now and has shown it the last couple of games and what he did on Saturday was just plain stupid.

The only game he has played well in was the Partick game which i think highlights McBain is ready for lower league football.