FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Can anyone identify this team?

Guest Jock Watt

Guest Jock Watt

OK then.  It's a photo of the famous Dalneigh United, about 1953 I think, three times winner of the Inverness Welfare League and twice winner of the Welfare Cup.  Home ground was at the park in Dalneigh just below the Canal.  Goal scoring wizard was their centre-forward (remember what they were?!) now an Old Git who can sleep all day nae trouble at a'.

Billy Nelson (some of you must know him?) and the best known player in the side, Donnie McGillivary who went on to bigger and better things, are in the photo.  Of the 15 players who formed the side, 12 received contracts with one or other of the three Inverness Highland League teams.

Although three of my family played for the Jags, and although I'd have loved to have signed for them, they never asked me so I signed for Clach (for three quid a win and one quid for a draw!!)!!!  I played one game for the reserves and was then destined to go and serve my two years in the Navy !!!  When I got out of the Navy I was already married - and you know what that can mean !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jock, how about naming the other players? I believe big Jim MacGillivary is also in the 'photo, Jim married Rosemary Gray ( a fellow Lilac Grover) Rosemary was my sister's (Kay Lynn) bridesmaid whose golden wedding anniversary will be celebrated this coming March 23rd. I have fond memories of countless hours playing football on Daleigh park, although a couple of years after your ''heroics'' I do remember the MacGillivary brothers, Donnie and Billy Nelson and I'm sure I would recognize a few more faces if you could forward some more names. As I am in contact with quite a few Dalneigh ''exiles'' I'm sure they would love to'' take a walk back down memory lane''

Canuck.

Congratulations on your first post - your can officially call yourself an ICT Internutter now.  :021:

Check out those shorts, are they long shorts or short longs  :015:  I'll show the photo to my Mum and Dad to see who they can identify.

Guest Jock Watt

Jock, how about naming the other players? I believe big Jim MacGillivary is also in the 'photo, Jim married Rosemary Gray ( a fellow Lilac Grover) Rosemary was my sister's (Kay Lynn) bridesmaid whose golden wedding anniversary will be celebrated this coming March 23rd. I have fond memories of countless hours playing football on Daleigh park, although a couple of years after your ''heroics'' I do remember the MacGillivary brothers, Donnie and Billy Nelson and I'm sure I would recognize a few more faces if you could forward some more names. As I am in contact with quite a few Dalneigh ''exiles'' I'm sure they would love to'' take a walk back down memory lane''

Canuck.

There's "Dills" Henry, "Dodo" Bell, Davie Ross  !!!

KAY LYNN is your sister !!!!!!!!  No kidding - she was my girlfriend when she first came to Inverness from Glasgow, I think it was !  She'll definitely remember me !!

Guest Jock Watt

When you mentioned my name, what did she say??  Complimentary, I hope !

Do I know who she would have married??

Please pass on my best wishes to her.

Jock, today (Sunday 21st Jan) is your ''old'' girlfriend's birthday -- 70 years young and she can still sing and dance folk half her age off the dancefloor! Enjoyed a big birthday bash at her house last night, approx. 30 people in attendance, family and friends, all in ''good form'' lots of good food, drink and entertainment. Mac (as usual) in good voice giving ''The Big Grand Coolie Dam'' big licks! I'm sure there will be a few ''sare heids''this morning.

Can't believe she is 70! The time is just passing too quickly,

Regards from Ontario

Ex Lilac Grover,

Canuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay here goes - had a word with the folks

Mr Nelson, Dodo Bell, ? MacPherson, Alfie MacDonald, Jimmy Wilson, Jimmy McGillivray, Dills Henry, Mr Bell?

Davie Ross, Billy Nelson, Jock Watt, Donnie McGillivray, Billy Urquhart, Donnie Nelson

Marks out of 10? ?

Guest Jock Watt

Well you lost half a point for only naming half of ALLAN MacPherson's name.

Otherwise very good.  I'd guess a fellow name of Malcolm Mckenzie was very helpful ?  I send a big hello to him.

Maybe I should mention that Davie Ross was my Best Man.

Not really my Uncle Mac that helped, it was my Mum (Irene Lynn) and my Dad (Eddie MacInnes) who got them all.  He was away home wondering what that guy's name was, so he'll sleep better tonight. Cheers.  Allan had a brother Martin I believe and was it Jimmy Wilson or was it Jack Wilson.  Doubts now over Mr Bell, could it be Millar (Dusty)?

Guest Jock Watt

Dunno if Allan had a brother.  It WAS Jack Wilson (died several years back) in the photo -  because our regular goalie - Donnie Nelson (my best mate) had a broken arm at the time!! The hazards of goalkeeping !!!!!!!!!!!  I rather think you're correct in naming "Dusty" Miller (at least as far as this old memory allows !).