FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Graeme Shinnie

Crownboy

IMO we should do exactly what Shinnie has done and tell him he is no longer part of our future plans and just get on with our season without him! Why on earth sign a PC in January? I would be contacting Aberdeen now to get a few quid as there is no way he will be focused on ICT

The problem i have is why sign now, this could have waited until June surely.  The annoucement is bound to cause friction,  regardless to what is reported. Aberdeen have certainly manipulated this in their favour using GS in the process to unsettle our dressing room.   

• Agree 1

Seem to have 3 threads picking up on the Shinnie situation.  Think I'll stick to the one called "Graeme Shinnie".

He may not have committed his future to the club but he is still in contract till the end of the season and I would expect him to give his all for his current employers and team mates - team mates who in some cases will also be his friends off the park.  In addition, unless he maintains his level of performance and continues to impress his future employers, he may find himself warming the bench at the start of next season.  If Yogi thinks his current level of performance warrants his inclusion in the side then he should continue to pick him and we should continue to support him as part of the team. 

The captaincy is a different matter though.  I think there are others in the side who could take on the captaincy at least as effectively as Shinnie and it should be with someone who has committed to be at the club for at least another season.  Giving the captaincy to someone else also makes it easier to drop Shinnie should his performance level drop off.  He should play if his performance justifies it but he should not be considered an automatic pick.

• Agree 1

The problem i have is why sign now, this could have waited until June surely.  The annoucement is bound to cause friction,  regardless to what is reported. Aberdeen have certainly manipulated this in their favour using GS in the process to unsettle our dressing room.   

Might unsettle one or two in their own dressing room as well.

• Agree 3

Good luck to him but I feel he will not do himself any favours by going to Aberdeen same standard of Football (ie SPL) so in my opinion a lack of ambition and self belief . He would have got more money had he gone to the Championship and would have been playing in a better quality league than the SPL would also have enhanced his Chances of a Scotland cap. But this his where the self-belief comes in maybe he does not think he is good enough to play in the Championship.

He has seen his brother struggle initially to get a game a Birmingham although since a change of manager he is a regular starter, so he is taking a safe option of going to Aberdeen and starting every week.

I have no doubt the he will give us 100% in every game until the end of the season, and I would play him against Aberdeen no better way to show them what they are getting and what a bonus if he scored the winning goal :cheer01:  :ictscarf:  :crazy:

I may be blinkered but I just cannot see why or how we can play anyone who has pledged his future to a DIRECT competitor. He should not only be removed from the first team squad he should also not take up the place of one of our young pros in the Development Squad. Sorry to all you Shinnie supporters but IMO he is history!

It's not about what you think about Shinnie, it's what's best for the team.  I'll trust the manager on this and if he picks Shinnie then he will have my support on the park as part of the team.

I, like you have my views on the subject and my only interest is ICT - not individuals. You are stating the obvious when you say it's the manager's decision but I would like to see him give those who have pledged their future to ICT given their chance. 

I still don't see how on earth it benefits the club to be playing our best player what is, by our standards, a substantial salary to do nothing for half a season when he is still contracted to the club and willing and able to play to the best of his ability.

• Agree 3

Your girlfriend announces she's leaving you after admitting to seeing your best mate behind your back for the past few months. She wants to stay with you until the joint lease on your flat runs out in a few months time. She promises she'll still "perform" to the best of her ability if you let her stay. Your now ex-mate is rubbing it in your face at every opportunity and has increased his chances of having a happy life at the expense of yours.

Anyone with an ounce of self-respect will tell her to get out, and if she's not able to leave immediately, you wouldn't accept the "benefits" she's offering. You'd be angry at her for treating you so disrespectfully and if you had another girl who wanted to go out with you, you'd give them a chance to prove themselves. 

I don't care if it affects the team negatively. Shinnie has cheated on us and he should be afforded no respect.  :smile:

Edited by Guest

Your girlfriend announces she's leaving you after admitting to seeing your best mate behind your back for the past few months. She wants to stay with you until the joint lease on your flat runs out in a few months time. She promises she'll still "perform" to the best of her ability if you let her stay. Your now ex-mate is rubbing it in your face at every opportunity and has increased his chances of having a happy life at the expense of yours.

Anyone with an ounce of self-respect will tell her to get out, and if she's not able to leave immediately, you wouldn't accept the "benefits" she's offering. You'd be angry at her for treating you so disrespectfully and if you had another girl who wanted to go out with you, you'd give them a chance to prove themselves. 

I don't care if it affects the team negatively. Shinnie has cheated on us and he should be afforded no respect.  :smile:

A somewhat odd analogy. it's no different really from the situation in many walks of life where a skilled and valued worker decides to leave company A and move to Company B for what he or she considers career advancement and very often a salary increase.

There is generally a period where that person is working their notice and is expected to remain committed to company A and, if they have anything about them, will do so.

Shinnie has accepted a job offer from Aberdeen, he is working his notice with ICT

A somewhat odd analogy. it's no different really from the situation in many walks of life where a skilled and valued worker decides to leave company A and move to Company B for what he or she considers career advancement and very often a salary increase.

There is generally a period where that person is working their notice and is expected to remain committed to company A and, if they have anything about them, will do so.

Shinnie has accepted a job offer from Aberdeen, he is working his notice with ICT

If you're looking at football as any other business, then maybe so. It's not though - it's far more emotionally-centred than that. Were Tottenham fans happy when Sol Campbell left to join Arsenal? Were Barcelona fans happy when Luis Figo left to join Real Madrid? These clubs wouldn't have kept let these players retain the captaincy if they'd signed a pre-contract with their immediate rivals and neither should we.

Edited by Guest

I still don't see how on earth it benefits the club to be playing our best player what is, by our standards, a substantial salary to do nothing for half a season when he is still contracted to the club and willing and able to play to the best of his ability.

OK, I see where you are coming from even although you don't seem to see my opinion on the subject. Yes, he is still contracted to this club so why would he sign a PC in January knowing full well that he would be obligated to us until the end of the season? My view is that he and Aberdeen would like the deal done now and they are waiting for our call to bring this forward (Aberdeen don't have a fit left back at the moment.) They are playing a game with us and we should do our best to get something instead of nothing out of the deal. If we had placed him on the transfer list at the beginning of January we would at least have had a little bit of control over the matter. With regard to "willing and able to play to the best of his ability" is concerned I really don't see how anyone can give their all knowing full well that their current employer's success could quite easily ruin his future employer's chances of winning a European place! Let me put this to you - If you are a highly regarded employee employed by company A and give them three months notice that you are moving to one of their serious competitors, how do you think they would react and what action do you think they would take?

OK, I see where you are coming from even although you don't seem to see my opinion on the subject. Yes, he is still contracted to this club so why would he sign a PC in January knowing full well that he would be obligated to us until the end of the season? My view is that he and Aberdeen would like the deal done now and they are waiting for our call to bring this forward (Aberdeen don't have a fit left back at the moment.) They are playing a game with us and we should do our best to get something instead of nothing out of the deal. If we had placed him on the transfer list at the beginning of January we would at least have had a little bit of control over the matter. With regard to "willing and able to play to the best of his ability" is concerned I really don't see how anyone can give their all knowing full well that their current employer's success could quite easily ruin his future employer's chances of winning a European place! Let me put this to you - If you are a highly regarded employee employed by company A and give them three months notice that you are moving to one of their serious competitors, how do you think they would react and what action do you think they would take?

I can see your point I just don't agree with it. I don't think placing him on the transfer list at the beginning of the month would have made any difference. If he wanted to hold on and go to Aberdeen next season he could not be forced to sign for any other club no matter what they might have offered us.

A bit like GMS signing a pre contract with Celtic when Dundee United had offers on the table to pay a transfer fee from other clubs.

Gutted to hear GS is leaving. I hope all ICT fans recognise what a great servant he has been to the club and wish him all the best for the future. Yes i would have liked to see him go to someone else other than a rival team but if it helps him pull on a Scotland shirt which we know he deserves then good luck to him.

Maybe he signed a pre-contract so that he had security over his future. It's absolutely devastating that Graeme has chosen to go to Aberdeen but in hind sight I see this deal as he has chosen what's best for his family - and that's more important that anything else. As I understand it, Graeme girlfriend/wife is due a baby soon and do you really expect Graeme to bugger off to another country?

I really don't expect Aberdeen to offer us a massive offer for Graeme unless they were really desperate for him now. I don't think it would be beneficial to just cast him astray because he has signed for Aberdeen. As Kingsmills rightly says that Graeme is now simply working his notice and I fully expect him to continue as normal as that that's the type of character Graeme is.

Because Graeme has been here for years I'm most defintely sure he won't do wrong by the club and if he stepped up to take a penalty to secure 3rd place over Aberdeen I'm sure he would try and score to leave us with his head held high and remain his dignity.

• Agree 1

Not happy with him moving to the dons I genuinely hope it proves to be a bad move for both team and player (I know I am childish)...

Time to splash out on a lb now and get some game time as I don't have full confidence in tremarco.

Edited by Ayeseetee

Surely the question of the captaincy ( until Foran comes back I suppose ) is fairly and squarely down to the manager.

I think as supporters we should not pressure Hughes but let him make the choice of captain  as he feels is best.

At the end of the day it is his job.

For someone who has been around as long as me, I have to admit I am not sure exactly what a captain in a football team actually does. 

For Instance In cricket he controls everything a team does.

Is a captain just a status symbol; with the running of the team on the pitch predetermined by the coaches?

I remember years ago a major row erupted at a top club because a captain told his team to park the bus and defend in opposition to his coaches orders.

They talk about leaders on the pitch , experienced older players will often sort out problems on the pitch.

Edited by Laurence

I can see your point I just don't agree with it. I don't think placing him on the transfer list at the beginning of the month would have made any difference. If he wanted to hold on and go to Aberdeen next season he could not be forced to sign for any other club no matter what they might have offered us.

A bit like GMS signing a pre contract with Celtic when Dundee United had offers on the table to pay a transfer fee from other clubs.

Absolutely fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm sure we all only have one objective - seeing ICT do as well as possible.

Maybe the outcome of us placing Shinnie on the transfer list would have had the same result but what I mean is this club being proactive in the market instead of us be reactive.

I may be totally wrong but I think you may still see GMS move to Celtic this week. 

Listen, you can't blame the guy for heading back to his home town and team he most likely followed as a boy for a lot more money. There may also be a host of personal reasons for returning to Aberdeen which are unknown to us. I would be happy if he carried on playing every week until the season ends. Good luck to the guy, except against us obviously

Reading this post you would think we were talking about Ronaldo

Yes he is a half decent player in this league but I fancy there are similar players just waiting to be found around the Scottish clubs and the lower leagues in England. I think we should stop crying in our beer and go out and find another fullback. One hopefully who knows how to overlap. A trait I have not noticed in GS.

Listen, you can't blame the guy for heading back to his home town and team he most likely followed as a boy for a lot more money. There may also be a host of personal reasons for returning to Aberdeen which are unknown to us. I would be happy if he carried on playing every week until the season ends. Good luck to the guy, except against us obviously

It's not a question of "blame" it's a question of who do we play from now on. We have a very capable replacement for him at left back and we have a selection of midfield players wanting to show the boss they are worth their place.

I'm sure if we were in his position we would have done exactly the same but personally, knowing the club has ample cover, I would not expect to retain my place in the team.

Reading this post you would think we were talking about Ronaldo

Yes he is a half decent player in this league but I fancy there are similar players just waiting to be found around the Scottish clubs and the lower leagues in England. I think we should stop crying in our beer and go out and find another fullback. One hopefully who knows how to overlap. A trait I have not noticed in GS.

We have one Laurence, he is already playing left back.