FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Algebra Help PLEEEEEEZE

jagster

Hi there all, I have been advised by step sons school to do some previous GCSE papers with him prior to him doing his exams in May/June.

I intend doing a GCSE maths paper with him tomorrow, I managed my own maths O level with an A pass many years ago so Considering the answers come with the paper I'm quite happy to do this for him, however Algebra has completely gone from my mind as regards the working out of equations, I have 2 questions for him and I am sure that some kind person could help me as I will have to do the equation with him after his mock exam, the questions are as follows,

4(3x+2)=68 the answer is 5?

Factorise 10y +15 the answer is 5(2y+3)Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks  :024: :024:

You got an A pass and you can't factorise  :015: :015: :015:

I'm sure he'll be able to tell you how to do both of them!

First, if you expand 5(2y+3) you just multiply both terms inside the brackets by 5 to get 10y+15.

factorising is just the reverse. Look for the highest common factor of 10 and 15, ie which times table are they both in- answer 5. Now divide both by 5 and put it outside.

Your equation is fine but your way will not work 100% of the time, so try:

4(3x+2)=68

12x+8=68

12x=60

x=5

BTW what is GCSE  :015: :015: :015: :015: :015: