FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Dunfermline Nov 2023

tm4tj

Really entertaining game with a lot of good football on show - hard to believe it was a match between 2 sides not in the playoff places. It’s always disappointing to concede a late equaliser and it makes you feel like it was 2 points dropped, but in reality you can’t begrudge Dunfermline a point given the number of chances they had, hitting the post 7 times and missing a couple of free headers too. They could easily have won, but on the whole I still thought we played the better football, and had some good chances too.

I was impressed with our play, good passing football on the deck, some classy moments, keeping possession and being patient in the build up. Some will say too patient, with numerous calls of “shoot” when we were passing in and around their box waiting for a clearer opportunity, but I think it is a sign of a good side that we can play that way.

On this showing, I am very confident that we will continue moving up the league table.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

I think if we are being honest a draw was a fair result given they hit the upright or cross bar seven times.

I only listened to the game on the radio and it seemed we had the better of the second half whilst the hosts had the first.

More imortantly is the fact we are playing attractive football and getting better each week under big Dunc.

3 wins and 3 draws a game in hand and now 7th,at least we are going in the right direction and have our tails up.

• Agree 2

Devine made a first class tackle early in the first half to deny Dunfermline. Throughout the game he was calm on each of the seven times Dunfermline hit our woodwork. He popped up with our goal.

Actually joking about Dunfermline hitting the woodwork seven times - but it was even funnier watching it live. In many ways this was a very lucky point but as we improve hopefully we beat Dunfermline next time around. Great to see Sean back on the park. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Danny Devine had a very impressive game today capped off by his nicely taken goal and potential goal-saving tackle early on.  Even still, the standout performer today in my opinion was Max Anderson.  He was constantly in and about the Dunfermline players robbing them of possession, frequently on the ball, never wasted a pass and drove us forward when he had the opportunity to do so.  I thought it was an excellent all round performance from him and the partnership he has struck up with Charlie Gilmour has been instrumental in our possession based football in recent weeks which has been highly impressive, especially considering we could hardly string three passes together earlier this season.  Losing a late goal was pretty gutting especially as I was looking forward to Big Dunc celebrating with the fans again but as others have said it's hard to argue that Dunfermline deserved at least a point today.  I'm sure a lot of the fringe players will get a run out next week against Cowdenbeath and rightly so given we have been more or less reliant on the same starting 11 week after week so let's hope they have a well earned rest and are ready to go again against Raith in a couple of weeks.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robbo1985 said:

I'm sure a lot of the fringe players will get a run out next week against Cowdenbeath and rightly so given we have been more or less reliant on the same starting 11 week after week so let's hope they have a well earned rest and are ready to go again against Raith in a couple of weeks.  

I'll be disappointed if we don't put out our best available squad.  We're nowhere near strong enough to be underestimating any team, and the more time our starting 11 get playing together, the sharper they'll get.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, robbo1985 said:

Danny Devine had a very impressive game today capped off by his nicely taken goal and potential goal-saving tackle early on. 

Yes indeed, and there were a couple of other big tackles from him too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, STFU said:

I'll be disappointed if we don't put out our best available squad.  We're nowhere near strong enough to be underestimating any team, and the more time our starting 11 get playing together, the sharper they'll get.

I understand the thinking but for me a team of MacKay, Davidson, Duffy, Delaney, Hyde, Thompson, Bray, Welsh, Longstaff, Brooks and Sheridan should comfortably take care of Cowdenbeath and give these players some much needed game time.  At least some are likely to be needed/called upon prior to the New Year as the fixtures come thick and fast and we inevitably pick up injuries etc.    

• Like 1

What a weird game. We looked comfortable for 20 minutes and then the Pars absolutely murdered us for 25 minutes which coincided with all the incidents which earned the goalposts the  MoM. A back 3 of Boyes, Devine and Ujdur looks a good setup. Devine had some great challenges and if Ujdur wasn’t so overconfident of being a baller then he would be one. 
Second half was completely dominated by us but it was if the players had a bet on 0-1 and thought we could keep the ball for the full 45 minutes which nearly worked.
We are incredibly shot-shy. The stats show we had 5 shots to their 12, but we had so many touches in their box, it was as if we were trying to emulate Spain from 10 years ago and score the perfect goal. On a wet day it would have been worth a go from 20 yards, but so many times Cammy, Nathan, Spoony or Gilmour decided to check back.
Not sure why Ujdur was subbed for Duffy as I’m sure that lost us a bit of solidity and he was booked straight away. Billy was knackered but sub Longstaff never really offered an out ball, although he nearly won it with a late drive which would have given Mehmet no chance if it was a couple of feet lower. Great to see Sir Sean Welsh returning. The passing was sublime at times today and Max Anderson is a player. Great support today 👏👏👏

• Like 4
  • Well Said 1

30 minutes ago, robbo1985 said:

I understand the thinking but for me a team of MacKay, Davidson, Duffy, Delaney, Hyde, Thompson, Bray, Welsh, Longstaff, Brooks and Sheridan should comfortably take care of Cowdenbeath and give these players some much needed game time.  At least some are likely to be needed/called upon prior to the New Year as the fixtures come thick and fast and we inevitably pick up injuries etc.    

We’ll murder Cowden.

• Like 1
  • Well Said 1

When you see the amount of times Dunfermline hit the woodwork, we can't complain about taking a point on the road. I only listened to the match on the radio, but it sounded like the classic 'game of two halfs'. It sounds like we played some nice passing entertaining football, but, just as in previous seasons, we seem to be shot shy, and pass when just maybe having a speculative punt might have been a better option, in a day when the weather made the ball slippy and difficult for keeper and defenders.

It was nice to see Welsh named in the squad, and coming on late, but as DF said, if Sean is going to get back into the team, he is going to have to play well and try and dislodge Gilmore and Anderson, which will be no mean feat as both are playing so well together. 

And I can relate to DF saying he wears the same clothes that he did on his first game with us, and superstition keeps him wearing it as we are still undefeated. I did the same in Inverness Thistle's 1986/87 Highland League title win, and the only time I never wore the same shirt, it was in the wash, we lost our only game of the season, our last game against Peterhead! So long may we continue to see DF standing in his jumper and shirt, because it will mean we are still undefeated!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, robbo1985 said:

Nairn County ring any bells?

• Confused 1

it's good to see results improving. was at the match and clearly we were very lucky to be one to the good at half time. For the first 20 minutes or so of the second half we played some great football and all but went 2 up. We then seemed to just sit back (really don't know why) and invited Dunfermline to score and at the end were lucky not to lose. 

Noticeable even though we are undefeated under Duncan, our performances seem to drop off the longer the match goes on. We need to fix that quick.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DWH said:

it's good to see results improving. was at the match and clearly we were very lucky to be one to the good at half time. For the first 20 minutes or so of the second half we played some great football and all but went 2 up. We then seemed to just sit back (really don't know why) and invited Dunfermline to score and at the end were lucky not to lose. 

Noticeable even though we are undefeated under Duncan, our performances seem to drop off the longer the match goes on. We need to fix that quick.

We seem to be doing that when ahead, as we did that against both Airdrie and Ayr in our recent home wins, and our later substitutions have generally been to strengthen us defensively.

I assume it is deliberate as we try to build our points total, but we are good enough to continue to play in the manner that has got us in from in games rather than making us all very nervous as we get to the end of games. 

• Agree 1

I may be dreaming this as I can't find where I saw it, but I recall seeing something from Ferguson that said the team were being trained previously as if they were part-time, and it would take a little bit to get the squad fully up to a fitness level where they could play the way he wants for the full 90mins.

That could mean that subs are as much about that transition and not pushing players too hard for 90 mins, as opposed to it being tactical.

• Thoughtful 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic