FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Inverness CT -V- Cowdenbeath - Scottish Cup

tm4tj

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I thought we could have started with our best team, try and score a couple of goals, and then take the fringe playes on.

I disagree.  Whilst that approach would be more likely to ensure a comfortable win, it doesn't really tell the manager much.  If there are players who are fighting for a starting place, you need to put them under a bit of pressure and challenge them to get the game won.  You learn little about players if you stick them on when somebody else has already done the hard work.  If the game is already safe, then it is a good time to bring on a youngster or two to get experience or players returning from injury who just need a bit of game time.

I think Dunc got it about right with the starting line up and substitutions.  He was let down by several players who can do much better than they showed yesterday.  I expect the same sort of team selection against Broomhill in January, but a much improved performance.

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 2

22 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

I disagree.  Whilst that approach would be more likely to ensure a comfortable win, it doesn't really tell the manager much.  If there are players who are fighting for a starting place, you need to put them under a bit of pressure and challenge them to get the game won.  You learn little about players if you stick them on when somebody else has already done the hard work.  If the game is already safe, then it is a good time to bring on a youngster or two to get experience or players returning from injury who just need a bit of game time.

I think Dunc got it about right with the starting line up and substitutions.  He was let down by several players who can do much better than they showed yesterday.  I expect the same sort of team selection against Broomhill in January, but a much improved performance.

I disagree. One sliced shot or push at a corner resulting in a possible penalty, and we could have been looking at a different result. I think we all know we have a good first team, and the narrative that we would only sign players that could dislodge them has never worked out well, we have signed players that few others wanted, apart from Wotherspoon, and I think DF knows who his best players are. I realise that all players need game time, but win the game first, then give them their game time.

There's good argument for both approaches.  The one used is higher risk, but gave better return in terms of game time and a proper look at fringe players.  The cost was entertainment value.

I'm sure Ferguson expected a bit more from the starting lineup and didn't intend to be relying on subs to win it, but he'll now have a better understanding of what he's working with.

• Agree 4

31 minutes ago, STFU said:

There's good argument for both approaches.  The one used is higher risk, but gave better return in terms of game time and a proper look at fringe players.  The cost was entertainment value.

I'm sure Ferguson expected a bit more from the starting lineup and didn't intend to be relying on subs to win it, but he'll now have a better understanding of what he's working with.

I would rather the option that Jaggernaut prefers being secure with a win without taking chances but have the faith in Big Dunc to get it right :smile:

• Like 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic