FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Highland League Legends

dumpmaster

Sorry, misread that.

Yes I remember it- they were after the photo of Doc from my site which I had shamelessly scanned, not knowing who the photographer was. Still don't know either, but apparently Doc liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember a big centre half for Caley called Jim Davidson - I can recall a game when he got a terrific head knock and played on with a golf ball sized swelling on the side of his head.  Nowadays the player would be sent to hospital.

Those were the days of Alan Pressley etc.    I also remember a centre forward from the Perthshire area, Davie Reid - who could crack in the goals no bother, or so I thought.

I don't remember too much of Jags v Caley, but I do recall a big stramash between Caley and Elgin fans - the only time (so far) when I have been spat on by the opposing fans.  Thugs the lot of them, or so they were in those faraway days of the hand-knitted blue/white scarfs out the window of the bus, getting longer by the minute with the wind and rain!

Oh the joy of going to Lossie, with the wind so bad their goalie was on the half-way line, as no way could our players get the ball that far up the pitch.  Unfortunately the wind dropped in the second half and they won by the 2 goals they scored in the 1st half    Those were the days, or so they say!

Anyone remember a big centre half for Caley called Jim Davidson - I can recall a game when he got a terrific head knock and played on with a golf ball sized swelling on the side of his head.   Nowadays the player would be sent to hospital.

Being a youngster, like yourself Eliza, I  remember the ex Partick and Scotland centre half, Jim Davidson, who finished his career at Caley. Late 1950's I would guess.  And very good he was for us too.  I don't remember the forward, Dave Reid.  He must have been after I left Inverness

Wasnt our very own Donald Park a very gifted player when he played for Caley, before moving on to Hearts? Born in Inverness too he was!

Its possible he was born in Raigmore but he's a Fort William lad through and through. Other Fort lads who had a spell in Sneck before moving on. Duncan Shearer. George 'Pele' Campbell.

• 1 month later...

The stalwart Bobby Bolt in the centre half position came to Caley as his Ranger's days started to ebb away. Must have settled in Inverness because his son Bobby also played for Caley.Jim Smith also played in goal for a short while at that time--he's now in Canada;his sister Mary is my sister's best friend since they were 5 years old.

That was the Ginger Mackenzie and Peter MacKinnon era. Pete was a  great centre half, muscled to the max but as nimble-footed a player as you will ever see. I heard he is resting in a home on Fairfield  Road these days--beautiful kind man,I will never forget him.

Oh well, moving right along..

The stalwart Bobby Bolt in the centre half position came to Caley as his Ranger's days started to ebb away.

Sorry to be picky SP, but the famous Bobby Bolt was right half, Peter MacKinnon was centre half.  Incidentally, 'Ginger' McKenzie still lives in Winnepeg.  His sister, Belle, lives not that far from you in Duncan, Vancouver Island. 

CMIB

To be truthful  I did not remember that the two, Pete and Bobby, played on the same line. Toothless Bobby sweated profusely whilst Peter always seemed to dance along on his toes. You are probably right about the positioning ; there you go.

As for Belle in Duncan on Vancouver Island you may be interested to learn that the island is huge-I once travelled it by car on a two-week holiday with my son and topped a rise in the road to see trees which seemed to go on forever into the horizon which was quite a view--logging was very strong there at one time but many logging operations have closed over the years. Mills too of course with thousands losing their livelihood.

Eliza. I vaguely remember Davie Reid. with his straight,  black, combed over to the side  brylcroomed hair. He could run for 90 minutes and was a nightmare for any centre- half!

S.P. ''Old'' Bobby Bolt was indeed a wing half for Caley. I never saw him play with Peter MacKinnon but  believe it was a formidable team. I remember Bobby as the Caley Trainer after his playing days. I was told a true story about Peter - when asked about his training methods, he replied ''I train on nips and pints!''

I did'nt think Jimmy (jumbo) Smith played in goal quite that early! Jim's wife is a cousin of a friend of mine, when my friend and his wife visited me about 20 years ago we enjoyed a wonderful day with the Smiths at their beautiful home in Oakville Ontario (about 15 mins. drive from my house) they made us very welcome and enjoyed a swim in their pool. Jimmy showed me his scrap books!!! I was ''in my element'' it was quite a collection, a real football history, for as you know Jumbo was the Caley 'keeper for many years.

I have ''bumped into them'' a couple of times since at our local Costco Store, it certainly is a small world!

''Young'' Bobby Bolt (probably in his 70's now) Did indeed play centre half for Caley and I believe Nairn County.He finished his playing days with both Gellions teams, Gellions and Bribge Street in the Welfare Leagues.Happy days!

Yes S.P. Vancouver Island is a huge and very beautiful place, as is most of British Columbia. Pleased to know you enjoyed your vist to the Island, it holds happy memories for me also. Some parts of Ontario are beautiful but nothing - in my opinion - can compare to B.C. and The Rockies, although Newfoundland comes close.

Better stop ''ranting'' hope I.C.T. gets 3 points tomorrow, will be glued to the computer,

Canuck.

Arguably Caley's finest team, however not many of our ''users'' ever watched them play - unless over the age of 65! I remember Frankie MacBeath on the right wing but all the others' careers had ended by the time I  frequented Telford St.

Bruce.

MacGillivary.                                                          Galloway.

Bolt.                    MacKinnon.                          Fraser (stootie)

MacBeath.        Jamieson.          Mitchell.            Mac Kenzie.                Fraser ( Ernie)

I think Frankie MacBeath was one of the finest ''crossers of a ball'' I have ever seen - at any level of football.

Arguably Caley's finest team, however not many of our ''users'' ever watched them play - unless over the age of 65! I remember Frankie MacBeath on the right wing but all the others' careers had ended by the time I  frequented Telford St.

Bruce.

MacGillivary.                                                          Galloway.

Bolt.                     MacKinnon.                           Fraser (stootie)

MacBeath.        Jamieson.           Mitchell.            Mac Kenzie.                 Fraser ( Ernie)

I think Frankie MacBeath was one of the finest ''crossers of a ball'' I have ever seen - at any level of football.

Being of that age, I was lucky enough,as a 9/10 year old, to see almost the exact XI you quoted, in my early days watching Caley in 1950/51/52 seasons.  The only changes were at left back where a Polish (ex POW I think) called Marownski played, and Bobby McIntosh was at left half.  Stootie Fraser came a bit later at left back.  Certainly the best HL league team I ever saw. Happy days. I'd certainly agree about Frankie (the Arab) Mcbeth's crossing ability.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do remember Peter MacKinnon very well since he lived next door to me--I was at 46 Dunain Road. My recollections of Peter are nothing but good. Always had a friendly word for me , as if I was a close friend and always had a smile wherever he went.

To be quite truthful he was as kind and decent a man as you could find and  he was as much a hero to me as anything.

I do remember MacBeth , Jupie Mitchell and Ginger Mackenzie and of course Jim Smith. I did have Jim Smith's  number in Ontario at one time but can't find it now.

This has been a very interesting thread for me . :003:

• 1 month later...

Daily Record, Tuesday December 18th, "Scots Player drowns in Oz fishing tragedy" - "ex footballer's dinghy capsized".

This turns out to be the same Davie Reid I mentioned in my post on September 10th.

The article is quite long and I don't have the know-how to put it into my computer.  The article has mention that he won international caps with Scotland's junior teams, played centre forward in Inverness (with Caley) in the 60's and was also on Dundee United books.  He went on to play under Jock Stein at Dunfermline before emigrating to Australia where he played for Sydney's Hakoah FC.

A sad end to the good player I remembered from my distant youth days - but the article also says "he was as fit as a fiddle and made defenders' lives ****" - which is what I (and Canuck) remembered of Davie.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up on this thread again and re-read most of it to re-live the memories.Funny old game this.

You can't remember half of your experiences as you get older but somehow  a name  in the  Caley Team just resonates so clearly and all the memories of many years ago come back.

Canuck ,I will have to get "into touch "with you one of these days and find out  more about your Canadian experiences.

Cheers

S.P. :sillywave: