FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Poppies this Saturday.

mainstander

quote from pie and bovril:

A group of Celtic supporters called "The Green Brigade" are planning a walkout at Parkhead during saturdays game against Motherwell in protest against their club wearing poppies on their jersey's in tribute to the victims of the war.They have the backing of Cairde Na hEireann (the sister group of Sinn Fein) and TAL fanzine and will be handing out leaflets in protest showing grieving Iraqi civilians and calling hoops chairman John Reid a war criminal.

shocking if you ask me :rotflmao:

A group of Celtic supporters called "The Green Brigade" are planning a walkout at Parkhead during saturdays game against Motherwell in protest against their club wearing poppies on their jersey's in tribute to the victims of the war.They have the backing of Cairde Na hEireann (the sister group of Sinn Fein) and TAL fanzine and will be handing out leaflets in protest showing grieving Iraqi civilians and calling hoops chairman John Reid a war criminal.

I don't agree that the wearing of poppies should be compulsory, but these people are imbeciles. Hopefully the media will ignore them.

People died for their country. Some of them may not have wanted to fight, and some of the causes for which they died may not stand up to scrutiny. But the fact is that they died or were injured as a consequence and they deserve respect and support for that.

But I have to confess I don't really understand Celtic at all and their obsession with ancient Irish history. You don't see Inverness players refusing to go to Fort George because it's a sign of English oppression.

I don't agree that the wearing of poppies should be compulsory, but these people are imbeciles. Hopefully the media will ignore them.

People died for their country. Some of them may not have wanted to fight, and some of the causes for which they died may not stand up to scrutiny. But the fact is that they died or were injured as a consequence and they deserve respect and support for that.

But I have to confess I don't really understand Celtic at all and their obsession with ancient Irish history. You don't see Inverness players refusing to go to Fort George because it's a sign of English oppression.

I suggest you look into the history of Glasgow Celtic F.C. it might help explain it for you.

All I can see here is that the symbol that is the poppy is slowly being lost. Originally the poppy was in remembrance of those who died on Flanders field. As the years went on it became a symbol of remembrance for all who died in all the wars.

The one and only reason we have a poppy appeal each year is to raise funds to try and give a better life to those injured in war. It is totally political in that there should be no need for the charity. The country (taxpayer) should pay not a charity.

IMO if sportsmen want to wear a poppy on saturday for the true reasons then none of us have a right to counter that. The choice should be entirely up to the individual.

i agree with you 100%

The charity was set-up before the NHS came into existence so while politicians are not entirely blameless.........................................................

........................ who can blame them?

Whats the NHS got to do with it. The Earl Haig Fund strives to provide those inflicted by war a reasonable standard of life after their injuries are treated. The government are the ones who should be doing this through better pensions, improved social and welfare care etc.

I work for a company who, through their pension scheme, will provide for my health and welfare, and that of my family, should I be injured to the point of being unable to work while in their service.

Shouldn't Servicemen not expect the same from their employer?

My point was that the Earl Haig Fund was established before we had a National Health Service and that politicians are quite happy to accept the status quo. I don't necessarily like it but that's the way it was and is. To be honest if I or any member of my family was a war veteran in need of care I wouldn't really want the care of the NHS we have today anyway, they're in safer hands where they are now.

LEST WE FORGET

All I can see here is that the symbol that is the poppy is slowly being lost. Originally the poppy was in remembrance of those who died on Flanders field. As the years went on it became a symbol of remembrance for all who died in all the wars.

The one and only reason we have a poppy appeal each year is to raise funds to try and give a better life to those injured in war. It is totally political in that there should be no need for the charity. The country (taxpayer) should pay not a charity.

IMO if sportsmen want to wear a poppy on saturday for the true reasons then none of us have a right to counter that. The choice should be entirely up to the individual.

political or not i am more than happy to give a pound or 2 to help make the lives of those who gave up theirs to enable me to live in a free country. it may be political in some aspects but these young men give up their lives for us selflessly and i admire them for that.

poppyscotland is a charity and yes maybe more money should come from the government but you could say that about cancer research charities and many others too.

i agree with you 100%

The charity was set-up before the NHS came into existence so while politicians are not entirely blameless.........................................................

........................ who can blame them?

Whats the NHS got to do with it. The Earl Haig Fund strives to provide those inflicted by war a reasonable standard of life after their injuries are treated. The government are the ones who should be doing this through better pensions, improved social and welfare care etc.

I work for a company who, through their pension scheme, will provide for my health and welfare, and that of my family, should I be injured to the point of being unable to work while in their service.

Shouldn't Servicemen not expect the same from their employer?

wish mine did... :rotflmao:

I suggest you look into the history of Glasgow Celtic F.C. it might help explain it for you.

I'm not saying I don't know why Celtic have Irish origins, only why they should be so obsessive about elements of Irish history which happened hundreds of years before the creation of the club (and therefore have nothing to do with the club, any more than Culloden or the Clearances are relevant to Inverness as a football club).

Guest CaleyJAGGIE

Players from every team in the Scottish Premier League are to wear a poppy during match play for the first time.

Cant imagine that one going down all that well at Celtic Park!

why wouldnt it down well at celtic park?

in the old days they probally had loads of players that had to go and fight in the 1st and 2nd world wars.

Guest RPFaither

"November 6, 1887

Celtic Football Club is formally constituted in St Mary's Church Hall in East Rose Street (now Forbes Street), Calton. The purpose is stated as being to alleviate poverty in Glasgow's East End parishes."

Hardly ancient history! Please note the large shamrock in the centre of the Celtic FC badge. The East End was a largely Irish immigrant community, a community that had been forced to leave Ireland because of famine. They were not exactly welcomed to Scotland!!

And yes, Celtic players went off to war - and died, as did (and still do) many Celtic supporters. Much has been made of the 200 who walked out of CP on Saturday - but how about the 59,800 who didn't?

Celtic and their supporters are proud of their Irish roots. The vast majority are very proud of OUR troops who put their lives on the line for US. We live in a democracy - a democracy that decided to go to war, be it against Germany, Iraq or the Taliban etc. - and proud to wear a poppy.

Celtic have a huge support and shouldn't be judged on a minority. Let those who are without sin cast the first stone!! (For the benefit of the two ICT supporters sitting behind me a few weeks ago at Tulloch Stadium discussing who the "Papes were playing today").

Oh that everything in life was black and white!!

Players from every team in the Scottish Premier League are to wear a poppy during match play for the first time.

in the old days they probally had loads of players that had to go and fight in the 1st and 2nd world wars.

the poppy is meant to remember the deaths of british soldiers in all wars, including the wars in northern ireland. As im sure you know there was also thousands of catholic deaths caused by these soldiers, so their saying they shouldn't have to respect these soldiers when they caused a lot of deaths to catholics.

the poppy is meant to remember the deaths of british soldiers in all wars, including the wars in northern ireland. As im sure you know there was also thousands of catholic deaths caused by these soldiers, so their saying they shouldn't have to respect these soldiers when they caused a lot of deaths to catholics.

Very typical response from a brainwashed person. there were as many non catholics killed as there were catholics. The soldiers were sent to do what they were ordered to do.

The poppy is a symbol of rememberance of all those killed in war, including the soldiers of the Irish regiments who suffered heavy losses in the 14-18 war.

Unfortunately there are and always will be footall conduits in Glasgow for those who have their own political and religious propoganda and hatred to spout?.

Whether it is the Tri-colour or the Union Jack being flown at Scottish Football matches is irrelevant when really the St.Andrews Cross should be the flag of choice?.but that is just my opinion....

I understand (but don't like all I know about) the histories of both clubs but once again our bretheren from Glasgow show themselves for what they are (although I will say in this case it was a minority)....

Football - Politics ? Religion?.what a farce?.I am glad ICT came along....

Whilst I believe that remembering our war dead is of the utmost importance I can't help myself but find it incredibly ironic that our fallen heroes in Afghanistan are remembered with poppies.