FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Poppies this Saturday.

mainstander

Players from every team in the Scottish Premier League are to wear a poppy during match play for the first time.

Cant imagine that one going down all that well at Celtic Park!

Why not? Thousands who followed Celtic made the ultimate sacrifice.

West Brom' Albion had their shirts embroidered with a poppy for their game last Saturday. The shirts were being auctioned off after the game with the proceeds going to the British Legion. :rotflmao:

West Brom' Albion had their shirts embroidered with a poppy for their game last Saturday. The shirts were being auctioned off after the game with the proceeds going to the British Legion. :rotflmao:

is this not bringing politics into sport?

what about the foreign players playing in our country?

i think it's up to people themselves to say if they want to wear a poppy or not it's all right for us scottish folk to wear them with pride but you dont see many chinese or asian folk wearing them dou you?

i think it's up to people themselves to say if they want to wear a poppy or not it's all right for us scottish folk to wear them with pride but you dont see many chinese or asian folk wearing them dou you?

It's about a nation remembering those who risked and many lost their lives defending our countries freedom and that of the free world since the Great War. Money raised helps rehabilitate injured soldiers back into society. So no, it's not politics it's about honouring our forces.

It's about a nation remembering those who risked and many lost their lives defending our countries freedom and that of the free world since the Great War. Money raised helps rehabilitate injured soldiers back into society. So no, it's not politics it's about honouring our forces.

the point i was trying to make is that not all the players come from our nation

we wear the poppies because we choose to wear it

but foreifn people might not want to wear it, there must be at least one German player in the SPL plus their is Nakamura at Celtic, he might not choose to wear a poppy but now he HAS to wear it.

but foreifn people might not want to wear it, there must be at least one German player in the SPL plus their is Nakamura at Celtic, he might not choose to wear a poppy but now he HAS to wear it.

The point I'm making is that there have been conflicts around the world since the Great War, at the moment we have troops serving in Afghanistan, Iraq, and I'm sure many other hotspots and they are not only serving us but also foreign nationals as they are protecting Freedom. Many of our troops have died in the last few years serving in Afghanistan and Iraq but many more have sustained injuries which will deny them a normal life. I doubt that any self respecting German or Japanese player would be offended if asked to wear a poppy but would probably be more than willing to oblige.

The point I'm making is that there have been conflicts around the world since the Great War, at the moment we have troops serving in Afghanistan, Iraq, and I'm sure many other hotspots and they are not only serving us but also foreign nationals as they are protecting Freedom. Many of our troops have died in the last few years serving in Afghanistan and Iraq but many more have sustained injuries which will deny them a normal life. I doubt that any self respecting German or Japanese player would be offended if asked to wear a poppy but would probably be more than willing to oblige.

takes me to my first point it's bringing politics into sport when all these politicians and everybody else have been saying for years they should be kept seperate

all the wars were started by politics

dont get me wrong i'm all for honouring the brave men and women who fought in the wars

but on the streets of our cities towns and villages

Sorry, you've lost me again.

Our soldiers, sailors and airmen are not politicians, nor are they representative of politicians. They are in the line of fire for our freedom and that includes our freedom to go to the match on a Saturday. For that matter it's for the freedom of "Johnny foreigner" to play at the match on Saturday too.

Sorry, you've lost me again.

Our soldiers, sailors and airmen are not politicians, nor are they representative of politicians. They are in the line of fire for our freedom and that includes our freedom to go to the match on a Saturday. For that matter it's for the freedom of "Johnny foreigner" to play at the match on Saturday too.

agree to disagree on that one m8 :rotflmao:

but dont take the wrong way i'm not trying to wind you up or anything

although i and no doubt your good self wear a poppy with pride but there are others who dont want to wear it for reasons of their own

ie anti war or foreign nationals but by sewing it onto the jersey we are making them wear it

yes they dont have to come and play in our country you are correct there but you know the slogan

one scotland many cultures

In Canada, which in areas is a huge melting pot of ethnicities, backgrounds and heritage, surviving members of the two world wars (think there is only 1 person left from WWI now though) stand side by side irrespective of which side they fought on. Veterans from many countries that now call Canada home are permitted, even encouraged to participate in remembrance of their forefathers.

All I can see here is that the symbol that is the poppy is slowly being lost. Originally the poppy was in remembrance of those who died on Flanders field. As the years went on it became a symbol of remembrance for all who died in all the wars.

The one and only reason we have a poppy appeal each year is to raise funds to try and give a better life to those injured in war. It is totally political in that there should be no need for the charity. The country (taxpayer) should pay not a charity.

IMO if sportsmen want to wear a poppy on saturday for the true reasons then none of us have a right to counter that. The choice should be entirely up to the individual.

All I can see here is that the symbol that is the poppy is slowly being lost. Originally the poppy was in remembrance of those who died on Flanders field. As the years went on it became a symbol of remembrance for all who died in all the wars.

The one and only reason we have a poppy appeal each year is to raise funds to try and give a better life to those injured in war. It is totally political in that there should be no need for the charity. The country (taxpayer) should pay not a charity.

IMO if sportsmen want to wear a poppy on saturday for the true reasons then none of us have a right to counter that. The choice should be entirely up to the individual.

i agree with you 100%

i agree with you 100%

The charity was set-up before the NHS came into existence so while politicians are not entirely blameless.........................................................

........................ who can blame them?

BBC Story

Personally I think it is commendable that all SPL clubs are involved. It's a non-political statement in support of our troops and to those of you who think the government should pay, it matters not a jot to the troops whether the Earl Haig Fund pays or the government pays, ultimately they both get their coffers from you and I, so on Saturday dig deep.

PoppyScotland

In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

post-2081-1225774074.jpg

Will they wee pins no be a health and safety issue?

My thoughts exactly!

FACT: Many Asian and Chinese military personnel died in the service of the UK in the Great War, both as active fighter, but most likely in the case of the Chinese as engineers.

Whilst the Remembrance process had a strongly national ideology at first, it has, since after WW2 become to be for those who die in smaller conflicts internationally. Germany has long since had an official presnece at the National ceremony at the Cenotaph, and whilst the Japan government has been a bit ambiguous in its attitude to WW2, it is certainly not unusual to see representatives from that country at these ceremonies.

I have a great deal of difficulty however with the idea of military heroism. From my reading it had much more to do with social and culural coercion rather than what we might today call bravery. The rhetoric is insidious and is still around today, in claims about terrorism, illegal immigrants and axis of evil. The need still exists to demonise those whose ideals are different from our own. And anyone who has ever been sneered at in a Moslem country knows it cuts both ways.

War is the enemy and only through cultural and sporting links can we achieve brotherhood. The politicians serve the ends of big business and are not to be trusted. Only the groundsman knows the true story and he aint telling.

It may be interesting to see how this goes down at Celtic Park on Saturday, given the strong Irish links of a large slice of the Celtic support.

Antipathy towards the British military establishment on the part of those of an Irish persuasion is, fortunately, receding but has deep historical roots. For instance it was the British Army which put down the 1916 Easter rising with considerable force and which played a large part in its aftermath which in turn led to the War of Independence in the early 20s. The Black and Tans etc from that period were also recruited from ex British World War 1 soldiers. Responsible for, among other things, the Croke Park Massacre, they were hated by the Irish. Indeed the Gaelic Athletic Association (hurling, Gaelic football etc) for decades discouraged its clubs from competing against representatives of the British forces or police and the GAA also for a time banned "British" activities such as rugby. (Now thankfully the Irish play rugby internationals at Croke Park while Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped.)

In World War 2 the Irish Free State maintained complete neutrality and rebuffed an attempt by Winston Churchill to get them involved.

Then, of course, there was the role of the British Army in post 1969 Northern Ireland with Bloody Sunday etc.

It therefore wouldn't surprise me if at least some people with a (non unionist) Irish background didn't have a great deal of sympathy for anything relating to the British Military, irrespective of how fundamentally worthwhile it is.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

i agree with you 100%

The charity was set-up before the NHS came into existence so while politicians are not entirely blameless.........................................................

........................ who can blame them?

Whats the NHS got to do with it. The Earl Haig Fund strives to provide those inflicted by war a reasonable standard of life after their injuries are treated. The government are the ones who should be doing this through better pensions, improved social and welfare care etc.

I work for a company who, through their pension scheme, will provide for my health and welfare, and that of my family, should I be injured to the point of being unable to work while in their service.

Shouldn't Servicemen not expect the same from their employer?

I was thinking the same thing the other night when i heard about this "Help for heroes" single on X factor,great idea BUT,why is it neccesary? The governments treatment and support of wounded and invalided troops in this country is appalling. :rotflmao:

all valid points, the poppy is for remembering! our freedoms, the player who are not from this contry are still playing in this contry because we are a free nation, i beleve it is fair to let them chose and as mentioned im sure out of respect for our nation and its fallen they will wear it, to say Germans may not want to is just narrow minded, they lay poppys in Germany too, they lost people in Flanders Field also... at the end of the day because of our sacrafices they have the "right" to make there own minds up! P.S I am a serving member of the Armed forces, also i know i cant spell....

Well said Alex, thats exactly how it should be, im very pro remembrance particulary towards the men and women from the two world wars, but making all players wear a poppy if this is true, smacks of yet more political correctness tripe.

It may be interesting to see how this goes down at Celtic Park on Saturday, given the strong Irish links of a large slice of the Celtic support.

Antipathy towards the British military establishment on the part of those of an Irish persuasion is, fortunately, receding but has deep historical roots. For instance it was the British Army which put down the 1916 Easter rising with considerable force and which played a large part in its aftermath which in turn led to the War of Independence in the early 20s. The Black and Tans etc from that period were also recruited from ex British World War 1 soldiers. Responsible for, among other things, the Croke Park Massacre, they were hated by the Irish. Indeed the Gaelic Athletic Association (hurling, Gaelic football etc) for decades discouraged its clubs from competing against representatives of the British forces or police and the GAA also for a time banned "British" activities such as rugby. (Now thankfully the Irish play rugby internationals at Croke Park while Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped.)

In World War 2 the Irish Free State maintained complete neutrality and rebuffed an attempt by Winston Churchill to get them involved.

Then, of course, there was the role of the British Army in post 1969 Northern Ireland with Bloody Sunday etc.

It therefore wouldn't surprise me if at least some people with a (non unionist) Irish background didn't have a great deal of sympathy for anything relating to the British Military, irrespective of how fundamentally worthwhile it is.

I read this evening that the Irish celtic supporters association are not too happy with the poppy on the celtic shirts and have released a statment saying so, they were saying a lot of their members have negative views of the british army's operations in Ireland and some lost family or friends as a result

I read this evening that the Irish celtic supporters association are not too happy with the poppy on the celtic shirts and have released a statment saying so, they were saying a lot of their members have negative views of the british army's operations in Ireland and some lost family or friends as a result

It was all one-sided in Ireland then? The British didn't lose servicemen, family and friends?

Wear the poppy with pride.