FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Stuff People Do

Renegade

Guest birdog

Body piercing - just where did that come from ? It's just so naff.

Pierced ears for seamen were a supersticious thing, as in days gone by seamen believed that the wearing of a gold earring would prevent them from drowning. Scottish law also once required fishermen to wear a gold earring to cover funeral expenses if they were lost at sea and their body washed ashore.

Source These are traditions which I knew about but I only found reference to them in the linked blog.

Edited by birdog

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been believed that the erring in the (male) Gypsies ear was also to cover funeral expenses should death occur at a 'credit crunch' time for him.

This belief always makes me smile when I see (male) mega stars with their erring in.

Maybe because of the above I do believe that gypsies/sailors wear their erring well - in a masculine way - but...........

I have always been believed that the erring in the (male) Gypsies ear was also to cover funeral expenses should death occur at a 'credit crunch' time for him.

This belief always makes me smile when I see (male) mega stars with their erring in.

Maybe because of the above I do believe that gypsies/sailors wear their erring well - in a masculine way - but...........

Think you're erring with your use of the word "erring"!

This is just begging for me to post what bugs me about people, but im going to do my best to aviod getting in to it, as for the poor grammer and spelling, I have me reasons for not having very good written English and it doesnt bother me....

Think you're erring with your use of the word "erring"!

Think he means a small silvery fish, which is far handier than a large haddock in the ear...

Oh the shame, erring instead of earing, could blame the fingers, could blame old age, could blame the old eyes but all that would be rather fishie - it was just a good old fashioned ****-up!!

That will make me use spellcheck in the future!

Pssstttt.....you might want to change it to earring before anyone notices :P