FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Boyd for Scotland

RowdyBey

A managerless top 6 team thats in freefall . Scotland dont create enough chances for the likes of Boyd to prosper he takes about 1 in 6 of the chances that come his way which is why he never gets a game against the big boys , he would score for England though thats obvious .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he could get a game for England but not Scotland? :angry: The fact is he is more likely to score a half chance someone else wouldn't even notice. And Scotland create more of them than clear cut opportunities.

I'll keep saying it. David Healy - Northern Ireland. Doesn't play much club football. Scores tons for his country

Boyd IMO is a better player.

So he could get a game for England but not Scotland? :angry: The fact is he is more likely to score a half chance someone else wouldn't even notice. And Scotland create more of them than clear cut opportunities.

I'll keep saying it. David Healy - Northern Ireland. Doesn't play much club football. Scores tons for his country

Where did you get that from ?

Where did you get that from ?

Twas a mere joke hence the ;)

Why would he not score for Scotland tough if he would obviously score goals, given the chance, for England?

Fair enough , he wouldn't get as many chance. That much is obvious. He therefore wouldn't score as many goals. That too seems obvious. Wouldn't mean he wouldn't score. Even 1 in 3 compared to his 1 in 2 as it stands.

Remember only 1 goal of his 7 has been a penalty, which he earned himself (Faroe Islands)

Im happy to concede he is completely the wrong type of striker to be deployed against the likes of France, Italy England, Spain, Netherlands etc and particularly away. However if the team behind him had a strong nucleus at Hampden that might be ok. And against lesser opposition particularly at Hampden he is type of player who will take opportunities to make a game more comfortable a result than the game was. Goals for is an important aspect in group head to head records. Goals also breed confidence.

So 1st choice - certainly not all the time but an important addition to the Squad, yes definitely.

Lesser opposition than Scotland , is there such a thing ?

Lesser opposition than Scotland, where did you get that from? :angry:

I mean lesser teams in general. Ones we should beat at home and could beat away.

Iceland, Georgia, Lithuania, Macedonia

And I would fancy us to beat better teams with the right team and coach in charge.

Even though I didnt say it, yes there are lesser teams than Scotland. Just not as many as there perhaps should be or needs to be to enable us to qualify for a tournament.

Lesser opposition than Scotland, where did you get that from? :021:

I mean lesser teams in general. Ones we should beat at home and could beat away.

And I would fancy us to beat better teams with the right team and coach in charge.

Even though I didnt say it, yes there are lesser teams than Scotland. Just not as many as there perhaps should be or needs to be to enable us to qualify for a tournament.

Firstly, i think we are probably level with Macedonia. They are a decent team. But if we are failing to beat Georgia and Iceland without Boyd, then the problem is far beyond him. Its bigger than him.

And stop going on about Healy! FFS! His goalscoring might not be as good, but i think hes a better all round player.

Lesser opposition than Scotland, where did you get that from? :021:

Firstly, i think we are probably level with Macedonia. They are a decent team. But if we are failing to beat Georgia and Iceland without Boyd, then the problem is far beyond him. Its bigger than him.

And stop going on about Healy! FFS! His goalscoring might not be as good, but i think hes a better all round player.

It's probably the best comparison to make. He doesn't even play regularly at club level or score yet is relied upon his country to do just that. So you substitute some all round abilty for alot more goals. I wouldnt be too fussed by that.

Healy Healy Healy!

So I can't be a Scotland fan wanting the best players to represent my country?

So Im unbiased enough to appreciate what old firm players can do.

I could quite easily suggest a Celtic forum of some sorts for yourself given your unweltering bashing of a player who is the best goalscorer we have available to our country.

That being Scotland not the republic of Ireland. Some Celtic fans confuse the 2.

I could quite easily suggest a Celtic forum of some sorts for yourself given your unweltering bashing of a player who is the best goalscorer we have available to our country.

That being Scotland not the republic of Ireland. Some Celtic fans confuse the 2.

:029: :022: Are you being completely ignorant? We are agreeing he can score in the SPL, but its not that fecking hard. He has never proved himself when given the chance at a higher level. And he has had chances. Believe it or not, if Boyd had not scored those 5 against an atrocious Dundee United side, then he and Scott McDonald would be near level on goals. Thats not including McDonalds goal against Moscow. But take into consideration McDonald has scored against Rangers this term. I would think McDonald has been the better all round striker. He has scored more goals per chances taken so far this season and he has scored more against bigger teams.

Oh and the last bit is a bit silly, as a lot of Celtic fans are Irish. But Celtic have an Irish Heratige. Going to complain that Rangers fans fly the Union Jack? As they only do it as a "Get it up ya" to Celtic.

Edited by DornochCaley

I believe that Celtic fans appreciate him. Some even say that when Rangers were trying to offload him in the summer, Celtic fans would not have been that unhappy if he moved to them.

iamthecaptain1 are you sure your on the right forum ? Follow Follow would be more to your liking I think .

I wondered how long it would take for someone to say that. Four pages in is not bad going though.

Yeah I was thinking the same myself. I've had it before. I was bashing Neil Lennon once, calling him "a dirty cheating, not all that good, football player" got called a bluenose for it. A week later he dived and got Juanjo sent off.

Boy, did I feel smug then.

:029: :022: Are you being completely ignorant? We are agreeing he can score in the SPL, but its not that fecking hard. He has never proved himself when given the chance at a higher level. And he has had chances. Believe it or not, if Boyd had not scored those 5 against an atrocious Dundee United side, then he and Scott McDonald would be near level on goals. Thats not including McDonalds goal against Moscow. But take into consideration McDonald has scored against Rangers this term. I would think McDonald has been the better all round striker. He has scored more goals per chances taken so far this season and he has scored more against bigger teams.

Oh and the last bit is a bit silly, as a lot of Celtic fans are Irish. But Celtic have an Irish Heratige. Going to complain that Rangers fans fly the Union Jack? As they only do it as a "Get it up ya" to Celtic.

I'd still take him, even if he hadn't scored those 5 (ifs and buts). Being close to Scott Mcdonald on goals isn't exactly an embarrasment. Austrailian Internationalist who plays with players at least as good for his country against some very weak teams but not entirley sure if he has scored yet for them but I still rate him as one of the best strikers in the SPL. Just a shame he is an Aussie and therefore pointless bringing into the debate. Im sure I could list alot of non Scottish strikers that are better than Boyd. Thats not really the issue.

Given there is only 2 strikers of note (faddy and Fletch) playing on a regular basis in the EPL, one of which is not really a striker for his club and hasn't played there regularly at club level for many a year now and the other doing well but still finding his feet, I feel that you have to look to the SPL and looking at the Scottish strikers able to play regularly for the best clubs. There are really only 2(Miller and Boyd), possibly 3 if you included Maloney (not really a striker)

Of all the players I have mentioned only one scores at, not only a good rate, but an exeptionally high rate. Now given the new manager has decided that he wants to start afresh, and the past being over and done with, can that really be overlooked? I think not. I cant really be bothered so Im not going to check the exact stats, but I know that Boyd has also scored into, Hearts (regularly competing for 3rd) Hibs (currently in 3rd) and Aberdeen (always a contender) on more than 1 occasion each. So he doesn't score all that much against Celtic, big deal. At Ibrox this season, he played and set up 2 before being knocked out. After he went off, Rangers went flat. As has been argued to the bitter end, being a striker is not just about scoring goals. Well there you go.

I'd also like to see George Boyd included a little more. He's not too bad him.

Edited by iamthecaptain1

iamthecaptain1 are you sure your on the right forum ? Follow Follow would be more to your liking I think .

I wondered how long it would take for someone to say that. Four pages in is not bad going though.

Yeah I was thinking the same myself. I've had it before. I was bashing Neil Lennon once, calling him "a dirty cheating, not all that good, football player" got called a bluenose for it. A week later he dived and got Juanjo sent off.

Boy, did I feel smug then.

Banging on about how great Boyd and Healy are at every opportunity does it surprise you when your outed as a Hun ?

Banging on about how great Boyd and Healy are at every opportunity does it surprise you when your outed as a Hun ?

Quelle surprise, an embittered Celtic fan that can't appreciate someone rating the top scorer in Scotland, a NI striker with an amazing international record and choosing to ignore the comments made appreciating your top scorer in Scott McDonald.

For what it's worth, I probably think iamthecaptain1 is an Inverness fan but then, I don't think everyone really supports one of the Old Firm secretly (I've been accused of both, and as a Hearts fan too, when in fact I'm none of those). I suspect DALNEIGHCALEY has most down as either as blue or a green at heart. Sad really but quite typical.

Quelle surprise, an embittered Celtic fan that can't appreciate someone rating the top scorer in Scotland, a NI striker with an amazing international record and choosing to ignore the comments made appreciating your top scorer in Scott McDonald.

That was kind of my point. Surely anyone who can score a hattrick versus Spain, yet can't get a game in the Premiership shows more how hight the standard in the premiership is than the ineptitude of Healy or Boyd because he doesn't play there but has received offers and enquiries from top end Championship clubs with which 1 he turned down is now doing quite well in the Premiership, under McLeish, a man who knew how to get the best out of him.

Oh darn it I just showed my support for a former hun manager. Nothing to do with him being a Scotttish manager doing well in England.

Also Im obviously going to bang on about Boyd in a thread marked "Boyd for Scotland"

And I do rate McDonald highly, wishing it was more than just his name that was Scottish.

Though I have to admit I loved Brian Laudrup as a child, then again he was very good... but in Football manager I do go Celtic quite alot against my hun friend (yes I have a Rangers supporting friend. I just have to live with that.) Whats more I enjoy beating him. Which happens alot.

Look, Im sorry Im big enough to see past an incident that happened a year and a half ago. I apologise for rating a player, as good enough for Scotland at that, who happens to play for Rangers. I employ deep regret for using a person who happens to support Rangers as a comparison in that he may stuggle at the top club level but is still able to flourish Internationally.

Finally, DalneighCaley, Im sorry your a Celtic fan. It cant be easy.

And while i do not share your OF affliction. I feel your pain. Im sure everyone is here for you. :P :025:

For what it's worth, I probably think iamthecaptain1 is an Inverness fan but then, I don't think everyone really supports one of the Old Firm secretly (I've been accused of both, and as a Hearts fan too, when in fact I'm none of those). I suspect DALNEIGHCALEY has most down as either as blue or a green at heart. Sad really but quite typical.

Your bang on starchief IMO most ICT fans are/were fans of one side of the Old Filth as ICT is such a young club its only natural . Your so wide of the mark though in labelling me a Celtc fan .

Your bang on starchief IMO most ICT fans are/were fans of one side of the Old Filth as ICT is such a young club its only natural . Your so wide of the mark though in labelling me a Celtc fan .

Bet yet you are so bang on? Its ok, you can come out of your closet. You dont need to deny it. Although I can completely understand why you would.

Although I think DALNEIGHCALEY's arguement here is a heap of bullocks.. I seem to remember a topic started one night Septic had just been humped in Europe, and think it was by him, with the words "Timothy must be hurting tonight" with a few smiley faces.. Would be a bit odd for one of their supporters to post that. Although I can't finfor thd it e life of me.

Hope to see Boyd in a Scotland shirt for our next game. :tonguecheek: