FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Snow and Driving

MrsICTFC

Does anybody know what the legal position is regarding snow on the roof? Not only can the snow slide off and land on someone else, it can also slide off the front when braking obscuring the view of the driver just at a time when there is a real reason to slow down. Presumably you could consider that the car is not in a roadworthy condition or that you are driving in a manner that poses a risk to fellow road users and pedestrians.

I have never seen a car pulled over by the police for this. I think they should be stopped and compelled to clear the roof. They should be told to take their snow back home with them and deposit it in their driveway where it belongs. If that happened, they sure as hell wouldn't do it again.

A large proportion of the culprits seem to be drivers of big 4 x 4s who seem to regard the depth of snow on the roof as a status symbol and a reflection of their ability to drive their wonderful vehicles through such deep snow. The reality is that it is not just the snow that is thick.

Whilst on the subject of 4 x 4 drivers, is it really necessary for them to fly past at 80mph throwing up clouds of sandy spray and larger peices of grit which damage everybody else's cars. Mind you, I mustn't generalise - I have seen a lot of 4 x 4 drivers driving in a very responsible manner recently when they could easily have gone faster - as usual it is the small minority which give the genre a bad name.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I noticed that the number plate is also obscured by snow, that is surely an offence.

I was stopped at traffic lights and used my mobile phone camera to take the pic................ooerrr, maybe not then.