FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Snow and Driving

MrsICTFC

Is it just me or are there idiots on the road?

People who just have no clue on how to drive? Who don't clean their car properly before they leave? I was on the a96 and here was this car trying to pull over the road and all the snow from her roof landed on her windscreen. She would of had to get out of the car on a very busy road to clear it as it was so thick.

Sorry for the rant but as a home carer trying to get about has been impossible and this just makes it worse!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not you..there are loads of idiots on the road. (Not just in Winter either). Not only do some fail to clear snow off their vehicles but some do not even clear it away from their head/tail lights etc either.

It's not you..there are loads of idiots on the road. (Not just in Winter either). Not only do some fail to clear snow off their vehicles but some do not even clear it away from their head/tail lights etc either.

True. Yeah, I have seen loads of cars just covered in snow. I wish there was enough police to stop these numpties!

Cars covered in snow in winter............whatever next.

I am sure the car would have had wipers that work. Some folk are too careful and hold up everyone else.

No, I am talking about 5 or 6 inches of heavy snow, not a little snow. There is no way her wipers would have worked without snapping. It is dangerous. Mocking isn't clever.

I disagree, I think the wipers would have worked fine, the snow would have not been frozen to the windscreen and would have brushed off easily.

I'm not mocking, I'm being factual.

If the snow was loose enough to fall from the roof, it would be easily dealt with by the wipers. The idiots on the road are those that choose to abandon their damn cars at the side of the road because there's a little snow on their side road to the house.

Also what's with folk that don't know what ruts are? I have road rage issues...

OK then, I think you are incorrect. How can you say that what happened to one vehicle would happen to another one, different vehicle, different scenario etc.

You then created a hypothetical situation where she might have had to get out of her car on a busy main road to clear the snow which was not actually blocking her windscreen. Correct me if I have mis-read the original story, but you have made a story from a what could happen scenario.

By the way, I do believe people should take a little more care when cleaning their car/windows/lights/doors etc, but cleaning all the snow off just in case it might fall down and break your wipers just as you pull onto a main road......

You worry too much.........watch out for the buses.

OK then, I think you are incorrect. How can you say that what happened to one vehicle would happen to another one, different vehicle, different scenario etc.

You then created a hypothetical situation where she might have had to get out of her car on a busy main road to clear the snow which was not actually blocking her windscreen. Correct me if I have mis-read the original story, but you have made a story from a what could happen scenario.

By the way, I do believe people should take a little more care when cleaning their car/windows/lights/doors etc, but cleaning all the snow off just in case it might fall down and break your wipers just as you pull onto a main road......

You worry too much.........watch out for the buses.

Whatever, if it is only a little snow and not dangerous then why can't people just clear it? Not hard is it?

Also, you did not witness this. All the snow from her roof fell on her windscreen, there was no way she could see. The pressure from all the snow and the weight would not allow her window wipers to clear her car or if they did not instantly, thus creating an issue on a busy road. Unless she was willing to move without seeing, also creating another issue. Cleaning snow off so you can protect things like widow wipers is actually really important. As even being a man I am not sure you would have the great ability to drive unable to see. Jay the reason the snow falls from the roof is due to the heat in the car, it slides off it doesn't melt all the rest.

Also it was not a hypothetical situation with my dad, that did actually happen.

If you had driven around Inverness as much as I have since last wed, you would find these points frustrating. I have tried my best to get around to help the elderly as much as I can even walked until late most nights because I couldn't drive about. I also agree with cars getting left about as this has caused most of my problems.

A big shout out to the cretin of a driver who was piloting the Honda Civic going round Forres today around half 3 on the way to Aberdeen who thought he could overtake 8 cars approaching a blind bend and an oncoming roundabout. After tailgaiting me since Nairn he then forced the Astra in front of me to nearly swerve off the road as he realised he wouldn't make it back in before the bend / roundabout.

All this whilst it was snowing and the road was untreated.

[sarcasm]

I tell you what's really dangerous.....rubber neckers.....you know, those people who strain to see what other people are doing instead of concentrating on what's going on in front of them. There's this one woman driving around Inverness just now and I swear she seems more interested in measuring how much snow people have on their cars than she is in the road in front of her and where she's going.....mental.

[/sarcasm]

Never noticed any cars having wipers on the roof of theirs cars to clear snow. To solve the problem of clearing snow from your vehicle - get a motorbike, you will then realise and learn how to take care... :wacko:

Tell that to the biker that just about put himself under my (parked) minibus last night. Trying to ride uphill, in snow, with road tyres, no headlight (it was night) and his helmet protecting his elbow instead of his head!!!

[sarcasm]

I tell you what's really dangerous.....rubber neckers.....you know, those people who strain to see what other people are doing instead of concentrating on what's going on in front of them. There's this one woman driving around Inverness just now and I swear she seems more interested in measuring how much snow people have on their cars than she is in the road in front of her and where she's going.....mental.

[/sarcasm]

Funny lol, luckily at this point today I wasn't driving.

Tell that to the biker that just about put himself under my (parked) minibus last night. Trying to ride uphill, in snow, with road tyres, no headlight (it was night) and his helmet protecting his elbow instead of his head!!!

Bet it was of those inexperienced 'L' plated 'scooter' riding neds... :wacko:

All the snow from her roof fell on her windscreen, there was no way she could see. The pressure from all the snow and the weight would not allow her window wipers to clear her car or if they did not instantly, thus creating an issue on a busy road. Unless she was willing to move without seeing, also creating another issue. Cleaning snow off so you can protect things like widow wipers is actually really important. As even being a man I am not sure you would have the great ability to drive unable to see.

[criticism]

I am in complete agreement with MrsICTFC as the temperature in Inverness has been fluctuating above and below zero which has allowed a partial thaw and then refreeze of the snow. When this snow/ice sheet shifts forward (and it does) the windscreen is completely obscured an even though the wipers may clear it this may take three or four swipes until visibility is clear again. The response posted by some on here is not only misguided but irresponsible as there may be some viewers who take their comments on board and become blase in what is potentially a fatal distraction.

[/criticism]

I disagree, I think the wipers would have worked fine, the snow would have not been frozen to the windscreen and would have brushed off easily.

I'm not mocking, I'm being factual.

I'm on Mrs ICTFCs side here, I had carefully cleaned my windows and lights, even patiently waited for the windscreen to demist and started to move but I too forgot to clean the roof. The movement of the car, started an avalanche from which the 30 foot tower of snow on my roof collapsed in on itself,burying me for 3 days until help arrived.I wish I had cleaned the roof.

Another time I had 6'' of snow on my roof, 15 mins into my journey I braked and it slid off the car.

Sorry but I must defend MrsICT on this one. Those making the sarky comments are those who are too lazy to take two minutes to sweep the snow of the roof of the car. The scenario's mentioned are real. Brake suddenly and you find your vision obscured for a time. To try and justify laziness and stupidity by saying the wipers will cope is pretty pathetic.