McFadden (Birmingham)

Robson (Middlesbrough)

Thomson (Rangers)

Forwards

Boyd (Rangers)

Fletcher (Burnley)

Iwelumo (Wolves)

Miller (Rangers)

McCulloch and Boyd back as expected, McGregor out due to injury. Interesting to see three United defenders in the team, don't see Kenneth as good enough to play international football. Surprised to see players like Riordan missing out but all in all looks a decent enough opening squad.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised to see Kenneth, who is still a bit dodgy for this level IMO. Come to think of it, the defence as a whole doesn't look as solid as it used to be.

And I thought Adam had blown his chances.

remember everyone gets a clean slate with Levein so maybe thats why and hes probably judging him on his recent exploits at Blackpool. Levein probably knows Kenneth could do the job under him.

The list of midfielders is very strong, and the four strikers can each offer different qualities so i'm reasonably happy with the depth in those areas. The centre of defence remains the weakest area of the squad. I don't see a half decent partnership emerging from that list and the inclusion of Kenneth is a major surprise, as is the omission of McManus.

I thought Kenneth was terrific against Celtic. Best defender on the park.

I'd certainly would have had Riordan in my team. And Ross McCormack. I know he had an injury and is now playing on the wing but he was terrific for Scotland.

I do think this is one of the weakest Scotland squads I have ever seen.

I do think this is one of the weakest Scotland squads I have ever seen.

I disagree. A number of those players are performing at a high level. Gordon, Hutton, Berra, Caldwell, McFadden and both Fletcher's are playing every week in the Premiership. A further 6 players are playing regularly for teams in the top half of the Championship and 6 more are Old Firm players with Champions League experience. The problem for Scotland arises when these players get injured. We don't have much depth and it's difficult to think of many players who have a serious chance of breaking into the squad during this campaign.

The list of midfielders is very strong, and the four strikers can each offer different qualities so i'm reasonably happy with the depth in those areas. The centre of defence remains the weakest area of the squad. I don't see a half decent partnership emerging from that list and the inclusion of Kenneth is a major surprise, as is the omission of McManus.

I was surprised by this too. Levein's argument on the radio was that while he expects him to play a major part in later fixtures, McManus had not featured enough for Celtic and was still unsettled after moving to Middlesborough. I'm not too convinced by the logic - other reports say McManus has done well since moving to Middlesborough, and I'd have thought it would benefit him to be given the boost of retaining his place in the squad.

The rest of the squad looks pretty decent, although I wouldn't have minded seeing Robert Snodgrass get a run out in a friendly, even if he is playing in the third division in England.

The rest of the squad looks pretty decent, although I wouldn't have minded seeing Robert Snodgrass get a run out in a friendly, even if he is playing in the third division in England.

Family reasons took me to Elland Road last December to see the local derby between Leeds and Huddersfield.

Snodgrass scored that day, in the 2-2 draw.

36,700 crowd for, yep, a Third Division game.

And it was superb: the quality of the football and the atmosphere.

My brother-in-law, who goes to most of the Leeds games, regularly expresses surprise that Snodgrass isn't getting a chance in the national team...

Boyd GTF .

Ha Ha... might have known that was coming. But Im sure as a true Scotsman 1st and formost you'll get behind the whole team irregardless of what you think of them personally.

On the actual squad which is:

Goalkeepers: Alexander (Rangers), Gordon (Sunderland), Marshall (Cardiff City);

Defenders: Hutton (Tottenham), Berra (Wolves), Caldwell (Wigan), Dixon (Dundee United), Kenneth (Dundee United), Wallace (Hearts), Webster (Dundee United, on loan from Rangers) Whittaker (Rangers),

Midfielders: Adam (Blackpool), Brown (Celtic), Dorrans (West Brom), Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Bristol City), McCulloch (Rangers), McFadden (Birmingham), Robson (Middlesbrough), Thomson (Rangers),

Forwards: Boyd (Rangers), Fletcher (Burnley), Iwelumo (Wolves), Miller (Rangers)

Im a bit suprised by the call up of Dixon, because it may be little early for him, and Kenneth, as he's maybe not yet ready for International Football. I find it odd to omit the vice captain irregardless of his situation unless agreed between McManus and Levein.

I would perhaps have seen Danny Fox in there in front of Dixon. A little bit more experienced. Good with set pieces also. But I do understand Leveins reasons in that he is looking for a left back to make the role his for years to come.

And it might have been better to have someone like Commons, Cowie or perhaps Snodgrass instead of a 5th sitting midfielder in Hartley who is a Bristol City bench player. Again in saying that, it's probably good to have a couple of mainstays in the squad.

Iwelumo.....hmmmm, is splitting my opinions. I have never actually seen him doing anything more than misdirect headers and knock ons, miss easy chances and fall over. But Emil Heskey used to bring out the best in Owen doing this and it seems to work alongside Rooney too, so utilised correctly, big Chris could cause continental la de da defenders problems and create space for others to flourish.

My team would be (using squad)

- Gordon -

Hutton - Caldwell - Berra - Wallace

- Thompson -

- Brown - Fletcher -

- Miller - - - McFadden-

- Boyd -

I also think it's a fairly strong squad. A few suprises. But it's not whos there... its how Levein uses whats there and that he gets the best out of them and a good system that works.

Edited by iamthecaptain1

Boyd GTF .

- Gordon -

- Thompson -

- Brown - Fletcher -

- Miller - - - McFadden-

- Boyd -

I think that's pretty close to our best 11 and i think that Levein will certainly opt for some variation on 4-5-1. The line-up you offer should be great for when we play Liechtenstein, but for the Czechs and the Spanish i think we will need to be a bit more conservative. With the same defence:

-------------Fletcher-----Thompson-------------

Robson-------------Brown---------------McFadden

----------------------Miller------------------------

Steven Fletcher could also be considered for the lone striker's role, with Boyd coming of the bench if need be.

My tickets were delivered today :P

I think that's a very strong squad, strongest for a while IMO and more balanced than normal.... it's also worth noting that all the players picked are Scottish born. (not sure if that's coincidence or not)

I'm happy to see Commons out.. (cos he's p!sh).. and although Dixon is untested I'm delighted that Danny (I can't defend for 5hit) Fox isn't there either

The only way the likes of Kenneth/Dixon are ever going to get better is by giving them the oppertunity at this level... it's nice to see a manager looking to the SPL teams first before assuming if the players moved down south or to the OF they are better.

Encouraged at the moment but I'll wait and see what happens in March

My team:

Gordon

Hutton Caldwell Berra Wallace

Whittaker D.Fletcher Brown* McFadden

Boyd S.Fletcher

* would prefer he wasn't in the team but we don't have many better options

Edited by Harry Chibber

Won't go, won't watch, don't care.

The last bit of passion I have for my national side has finally gone as a result of the bended knee grovel to those who so disrespected our team, our supporters and ultimately our nation. The fact that our pathetic governing body and there equally pathetic CE allowed this to happen is even more infuriating.

The SFA make Jack Warner and Co look like NASSA!

Boyd GTF .

- Gordon -

- Thompson -

- Brown - Fletcher -

- Miller - - - McFadden-

- Boyd -

I think that's pretty close to our best 11 and i think that Levein will certainly opt for some variation on 4-5-1. The line-up you offer should be great for when we play Liechtenstein, but for the Czechs and the Spanish i think we will need to be a bit more conservative. With the same defence:

-------------Fletcher-----Thompson-------------

Robson-------------Brown---------------McFadden

----------------------Miller------------------------

Steven Fletcher could also be considered for the lone striker's role, with Boyd coming of the bench if need be.

Looking at it again it probably is a little offensive. I'd probably get big Lee McCulloch sitting in behind the midfield and drop Boyd for the games against Spain and Czech Rep. Particularly away from home. Whilst I do rate the striker there can be such a think as being to gung ho. He'd probably be best served as a sub in those games should a change in methods be required. And Lee Mcculoch offers alot at set pieces with his physique. He's had a good season and could do well in sitting role.

How about this for a Scotland alternative team, give or take a few months in someone's case, or change of allegiance in another:

McGregor

Broadfoot - Weir - McManus - Fox

McCarthy - Ferguson - Stewart - Driver

Riordan - McCormack

I don't think there's much to choose between the teams.

Weir and McCarthy ? You joking? Weir is hardly one for the future,and well past his best and costs us dear with lack of pace ( i.e Vs Holland ) and I think McCarthy has well and truley made up his mind, and might even play against Brazil at Wembley. Driver isnt eligible for Scotland now, apparently.

Think S Fletcher could step up this campaign and make a big impact, starting to score regualrly down south now and looks in form

How about this for a Scotland alternative team, give or take a few months in someone's case, or change of allegiance in another:

McGregor

Broadfoot - Weir - McManus - Fox

McCarthy - Ferguson - Stewart - Driver

Riordan - McCormack

I don't think there's much to choose between the teams.

WTF !!! I'll have a pint of whatever you've been drinking .

Weir and McCarthy ? You joking? Weir is hardly one for the future,and well past his best and costs us dear with lack of pace ( i.e Vs Holland ) and I think McCarthy has well and truley made up his mind, and might even play against Brazil at Wembley. Driver isnt eligible for Scotland now, apparently.

I am joking. Just a bit of fun with a few might haves.