FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Next Seasons Numbers

Renegade

Does anyone know if there is an SPL rule that there should be no number 13 or is it just a decision individual clubs make?

I like number 13. When I was at school in Worcestershire studying for my "O" levels, I was summoned to the Headmaster's office one morning. I assumed that my illegal still had been discovered, but no. I was told that being in the first class of the school which was first in alphabetical order in the County I had been allocated candidate number 13. I was asked if I wanted another number. I said I had no truck with any superstitious nonsense and kept the candidate number and passed all my exams.

Maybe I should get the number 13 on the back of my shirt - probably get run over crossing the dual carriageway!

Does anyone know if there is an SPL rule that there should be no number 13 or is it just a decision individual clubs make?

I like number 13. When I was at school in Worcestershire studying for my "O" levels, I was summoned to the Headmaster's office one morning. I assumed that my illegal still had been discovered, but no. I was told that being in the first class of the school which was first in alphabetical order in the County I had been allocated candidate number 13. I was asked if I wanted another number. I said I had no truck with any superstitious nonsense and kept the candidate number and passed all my exams.

Maybe I should get the number 13 on the back of my shirt - probably get run over crossing the dual carriageway!

:_sleep: :_sleep:

It's a club thing I think. Rory McAllister was number 13 for ICT a few seasons ago, and in the old days of 1-11 and 2 substitutes, most teams had their subs as 12 and 14, bar Celtic I think who had 12 and 13. I have much time for this superstitious nonsense myself.

The players used to be numbered from 1 , the goalie, to 11, the left winger and 7, the right winger and so on.

That was in the olden days and it was simple and easy to identify who was playing in what position--names did not appear on the backs of the shirts as I recall.

This worked very well with the former traditional positions like centre half, right half, centre forward etc, but now, with the positioning all chopped and changed around, I don't think this would work effectively.

More's the pity. Seems that changes have been made now more for change's sake rather than for improvement.

The game has been forced into permutations and numbers now and a lot of the verve has been lost.IMHO. :_shocked2:

The players used to be numbered from 1 , the goalie, to 11, the left winger and 7, the right winger and so on.

That was in the olden days and it was simple and easy to identify who was playing in what position--names did not appear on the backs of the shirts as I recall.

This worked very well with the former traditional positions like centre half, right half, centre forward etc, but now, with the positioning all chopped and changed around, I don't think this would work effectively.

More's the pity. Seems that changes have been made now more for change's sake rather than for improvement.

The game has been forced into permutations and numbers now and a lot of the verve has been lost.IMHO. :_shocked2:

I presume we now have set squad numbers so it is easier to recognise players. Commentators who are unfamiliar with what Shane Sutherland looks like will be able to tell just by his set squad number and these can then be memorised during games. Also for kids these days wanting their favourite players name and number on their replica shirt means it will match throughout the season regardless of formation or position of that player.