FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Why didn't Eric pull the trigger?

Naelifts

Sundays result has indeed reverberated round Scotland. I have had as many "well dones" and murmurs of approval as you would normally expect if ICT had turned over one of the Old Firm. Our team were magnificent to a man so it would seem churlish to level any criticism. Those that know me will tell you that I am anything but churlish (possibly a poll there Scotty!). So, before I make my point, please do not see this as criticism.....it is not.

I thought at the time, and the feeling has been confirmed by replays, that Eric should have shot when one on one with the goalkeeper prior to squaring the ball for Adam to score. Given that the ball ended up in the onion bag one can hardly accuse him of making the wrong decision, but, would a more confident player have pulled the trigger. In the first half Eric had two shots, one with his left peg ,one with his right, if I remember correctly, and they both dribbled through to the keeper. Perhaps this was on his mind. In the past our team has, to my mind, gone through long periods where it seemed nobody was willing to take responsibility in the final third and "have a go". In the SPL there may not be many occurrences of being " one on one". We must make them count. Eric was a revelation for me on Sunday........a constant irritant for United and, as Mantis pointed out, seemingly much better at using the ball when he has much less time to think about it than he did most of last season. If he is lacking in confidence then lets hope he bags a couple quickly. For me Rooney was outstanding as highlighted in Andrew's or Mary's ( I don't know which you prefer) match report. As a matter of interest, as a match scribe from yesteryear, did you find that taking copious notes detracted from your enjoyment of the experience?

Had Eric pulled the trigger and shot wide, or had the keeper saved, he would have been slagged off for not squaring it to Rooney, who was in a much better position.

Man City scored a very similar goal last night against Liverpool.

Somebody in their camp must have been watching us!

As someone who has done stats at a couple of games now, I would say that yes, it does mate.

Back on topic, I would love to see Odhiambo get a goal or two but should would define what position he is? Yes the commentators say that it was Rooney and Odi upfront but I've always felt that Odihiambo played in behind Rooney as so is more likely to set up more goals than he should score.

Sundays result has indeed reverberated round Scotland. I have had as many "well dones" and murmurs of approval as you would normally expect if ICT had turned over one of the Old Firm. Our team were magnificent to a man so it would seem churlish to level any criticism. Those that know me will tell you that I am anything but churlish (possibly a poll there Scotty!). So, before I make my point, please do not see this as criticism.....it is not.

I thought at the time, and the feeling has been confirmed by replays, that Eric should have shot when one on one with the goalkeeper prior to squaring the ball for Adam to score. Given that the ball ended up in the onion bag one can hardly accuse him of making the wrong decision, but, would a more confident player have pulled the trigger. In the first half Eric had two shots, one with his left peg ,one with his right, if I remember correctly, and they both dribbled through to the keeper. Perhaps this was on his mind. In the past our team has, to my mind, gone through long periods where it seemed nobody was willing to take responsibility in the final third and "have a go". In the SPL there may not be many occurrences of being " one on one". We must make them count. Eric was a revelation for me on Sunday........a constant irritant for United and, as Mantis pointed out, seemingly much better at using the ball when he has much less time to think about it than he did most of last season. If he is lacking in confidence then lets hope he bags a couple quickly. For me Rooney was outstanding as highlighted in Andrew's or Mary's ( I don't know which you prefer) match report. As a matter of interest, as a match scribe from yesteryear, did you find that taking copious notes detracted from your enjoyment of the experience?

Either is fine, Naelifts: I'm in touch with my feminine side...

I still managed to enjoy the game fine, but I couldn't join in with the singing as much as I normally would, and I probably would have been less conscientious about note-taking if I'd had the customary three or four pints before the match. It'll be a nice thing to do a few times during the season, given the opportunity, but equally I'll enjoy the games where I don't have to worry about throwing my pencil five rows forward when we score.

Re your original point: I can see it, but I suppose the flip side is that Eric's unselfishness enabled our main striker to open his account for the season and start building up his confidence. If we continue to play the way we did on Saturday, both should get plenty of opportunities and hopefully Eric will convert some of those. Johnboy makes the point that Eric might have taken criticism if he had elected to shoot and had missed, and I think that's fair comment: imho, Sanchez was a little too harshly criticised last season for some of his misses, and some posters forgot how adept he was at creating chances.

Edited by alternative maryhill

I have given Eric some slagging in the past but he is improving with every game - a bit like the ICT version of Theo Wolcott - lots of pace and energy but caught out if he has too much time to think. There was a moment in the Ersenil game when Theo found himself in an almost identical position to Eric and smashed the ball yards over the bar instead of an easy cut back - Eric chose the correct route - if he continues playing like that he will get more and more assists and the more that the opposition concentrate on Rooney and Hayes the more chance Eric is going to get.