FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

St Johnstone -V- ICT : Matchday Thread

Scotty

There's not a hell of a lot wrong with the team - a fit, in form, and in the mood Jonny Hayes will soon see us picking up plenty of points again.

If that turns out to be true then IMO theres a hell of alot wrong with the team.

I would agree with Clacher ..... If we are so one-dimensional that we can only perform with Jonny in the team then we are in trouble because that means others cannot or will not step up and start to perform without him and that attitude, if it exists, is BS. Equally worrying is that opposition sides will/already know that if we continue to perform this way, all they have to do to make us innefectual is to close him down.

A few folk need to up their game to a level we know they can already perform at .... stop leaving it all to Jonny and start working harder.

Ryan Esson is excluded from this rant as he is already working harder than we would like him to have to !!!

Worst 1st half performance I have witnessed in a long time. Terry made a big mistake by putting Richie on the bench. Eric is too much of a lightweight. Picked up in 2nd half when Richie came on but unfortunately St.J. were the better team

As soon as I heard he had dropped both Foran and Duncan I feared the worst. Although both these players have dipped in form over the last few games, I always feel we need their steel and agression. The slick passing game we had has desserted us and there is too much long ball play. Rooney will score goals for us if he gets decent service and support. In my opinion we badly need a playmaker but players with the vision and skill we need are thin on the ground. We are still in a great league position but it's time to start winning again as the teams below are closing in.

• Agree 1

There's not a hell of a lot wrong with the team - a fit, in form, and in the mood Jonny Hayes will soon see us picking up plenty of points again.

If that turns out to be true then IMO theres a hell of alot wrong with the team.

I would agree with Clacher ..... If we are so one-dimensional that we can only perform with Jonny in the team then we are in trouble because that means others cannot or will not step up and start to perform without him and that attitude, if it exists, is BS. Equally worrying is that opposition sides will/already know that if we continue to perform this way, all they have to do to make us innefectual is to close him down.

A few folk need to up their game to a level we know they can already perform at .... stop leaving it all to Jonny and start working harder.

Ryan Esson is excluded from this rant as he is already working harder than we would like him to have to !!!

Much like the forwards who have avoided criticism when the defence has played well, Hayes own performances shouldnt be exaggerated because he wasnt in the last 3 losing sides.

He can produce the goods often enough to make him immune from this but his early season form has made him over confident and ball greedy when in positions to let others score.

Not a single player in that side besides Esson is as good as they think they are, all of them need to work for each other to make up the shortfalls, thats what any team should be doing.

• Agree 2

I think if you asked Foran and Rooney what was wrong with the team you might get the same answer!

Those teams that have done well against us have paid particularly close attention to him, but even then, he is still a major handful.

For me, he is definitely the lynchpin around which the team revolves. I don't think it is a coincidence that our recent slump in form began with, and is continuing with his absence.

Edited by Johnboy

Losing again! Bad times! But the best thing we can do is keep up our faith and carry on supporting the boys as that's the best thing we can do the now!

I do admit that we we're not good enough to win. But a draw would have been acceptable! Esson was by far the best player along with Duff!

There will be no cue anything G. If Rooney is getting no service, then that is a fault further down the line that needs to be sorted.

It's been coming for weeks though. Adams lean spell is turning into a drought.

Worst game I've seen this season. Both teams were crap. It's hard to imagine how bad we were for those not there.

Dropping Duncan and Foran was a mistake. Cox did well enough, and even though I'm not his biggest fan, it was a bizarre decision to hook him for Shane. Duff should've been replaced, he was awful. His passing was even worse than Russells, and he spent the entire game jogging around the pitch. Mind, most of the team seemed to playing as though they didn't want to waste any energy.

Up front....Eric just isn't good enough I'm afraid. He has no control, and gets brushed off the ball far too easily. Gil was even worse.

We improved when Foran came on, he should've been on from the start.

If it hadn't been for Esson (again), then it couldve been a lot worse.

A dreadful match of football. 2 teams slouching their way through 90 minutes.

Was very suprised with the team that started but wasnt suprised to see Foran on 2nd half. Duncan defnitely shouldve been on as well.

Gil for me is just far too lightweight for this league, needs to much space to operate and he is never going to get it. Odhiambo had a match to forget as well. He was sloppy with posession and his touch let him down almost every time. Duff and Cox looked lost for ideas at times. They looked scared getting beyond the half way line and tended to slow down the play too much.

Ryan Esson take a bow son, made 2 of the best saves i have seen all season and had no chance with Samuel's goal.

This team is in definite need of a shake up. Attacking options need bolstered, midfield needs a natrual ball player and the backline is in need of some young blood.

It was very noticeable that without Hayes we were just not hitting on the break as quickly, so we lacked a key element of our successful away strategy.

Bloomers no doubt has a bit of skill, but was never a threat and was rightly hooked.

Odi? Grr, very frustrating player. Gives us something, and caused a few problems, but by the time he gets the ball under control the moment has usually passed.

Argh, that was a painful defeat. We were probably second best out there, but not by much - St J got the run of the ball in the box late on to nick the winner.

All hail Ryan Esson, who was magnificent again.

As said above, Rooney had virtually no service. I don't blame TB for trying something different with the lineup - and Duncan and Foran had both had two poor games - but Blumenshtein barely got a kick and whilst Innes was all right in his own 18 yard box, his passing makes Munro look like Xavi. Just like against Killie, we couldn't keep the ball - but St J didn't have to press very hard to get it back.

Foran looked like he had got a right kick up the backside, we were a better team with him on.

I'm normally a staunch defender of Odhiambo - but he was terrible and his first touch was a disaster. Come on, Terry, give Sanchez a go, please?

Hopefully the Elgin game will be a confidence boost for a few of the guys...and hopefully after that Hayes will be back.

I thought that game was rubbish to be honest. I think we had one chance in the entire game with Odihambo scuffing a shot goalwards. Oh, Nick Ross hit the bar with a cross cum shot but that was as good as it got for us. Saint Johnstone had about three clear cut chances in the second half including one from an atrocious backpass by Munro. I think 1 - 0 was a fair reflection on the game, it was no more than we deserved. To be honest I'm just glad it's over as it was eye gauging stuff from ICT at times. I lost count of the number of aimless blasts up the park. We also seemed to be playing a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 formation. Certainly didn't look to have anyone playing behind Rooney as per other games this season.

I found myself struggling to understand how that team had put together such a fantastic run away from home after seeing that today. After three good draws against the top three sides we have turned in three lifeless performances against teams who we should be looking to get results against. No wins in six now and it's not a good run to be on and I do wonder if we are going to "do a Hull" and start to drift down the table a wee bit.

• Agree 1

Despite being a fan of our Jonny Hayes, I presume all these posters on today were not at the Hearts game when he had a really off day. One player does not make a team but all playing together do. Lets hope this is just a blip and the year improves. Caley away away away!!!

Losing again! Bad times! But the best thing we can do is keep up our faith and carry on supporting the boys as that's the best thing we can do the now!

I do admit that we we're not good enough to win. But a draw would have been acceptable! Esson was by far the best player along with Duff!

really? I thought Duff was hopeless.

Ryan Esson- what a hero!

Odi was depressing! Jonny can't come back soon enough, we need him, we were so slow on the break today.

THE LONG BALL IS NOT WORKING, TRY SOMETHING NEW!

Despite being a fan of our Jonny Hayes, I presume all these posters on today were not at the Hearts game when he had a really off day. One player does not make a team but all playing together do. Lets hope this is just a blip and the year improves. Caley away away away!!!

True enough, Lizi.... But I think you'll find when he is back in the team, we might just start winning some games again. It's not just his contribution that makes ICT tick, it's the fact that he tends to bring out the best, and clearly inspires his team-mates - especially the likes of Rooney, who obviously sees much more of the ball when Jonny's around. When he's on form, fit and in the mood he gives the fans a lift as well.

I was at the Hearts game btw, and I agree he did appear to have an off day that day but there was obviously something far wrong with him - he should not have started that game.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Worst 1st half performance I have witnessed in a long time. Terry made a big mistake by putting Richie on the bench. Eric is too much of a lightweight. Picked up in 2nd half when Richie came on but unfortunately St.J. were the better team

Yes, a boring game of fitba'. But if you are talking about a bad half that you have seen then then I take you were not at the Inverness against Saints game recently? We should have had the game dead and buried by half time then!

We were absolute murder in the first half and had Esson to thank on a couple of occasions that we weren't behind at the interval. 2nd Half was an improvement even though we never really had any clear cut chances. On the whole we can't really argue with 1-0 to them. Not liking this poor run of form we're on and think a game against 3rd Division Elgin could be just what we need, hoping for nothing less than a trouncing but there is genuine fear in this supporter now that we could be on the wrong end of an upset.. Please don't take it lightly Terry.

Although we're not a one-man team, Hayes is arguably our best outfield player and we miss him dearly. Bluhmanshtein isn't going to be the answer to replacing him. Few get pass marks today, with a lot of lacklustre performances. Rooney put a lot of effort in upfront but there was nothing at all to show for it and his lack of chances, never mind goals, is worrying. Nick had an alright game and was at least looking to take people on or get a ball into the box, and picked a few neat passes. Almost got lucky hitting the bar with a cross, but we'd have been so lucky had that gone in. Foran looked lively when he came on and definitely gave us another dimension in attack, can only presume he didn't start as he's not 100% fit, especially after scoring in midweek?

Ryan Esson, take a bow.. Our only standout performer with some superb saves, particularly towards the end when Munro put Colin Samuel through after making an erse of a header back. No chance with the goal, but defending really was poor.

Eric.. Fookin' hell, he had an awful game and it would've been too ironic had he scored when he had Enckleman sprawling across the line to make a good save. His touch was horrendous and by the time he'd get the ball under control he would have already been closed down and chance gone. The one thing I've noticed the last couple of games is that he never seems to be on his toes or anticipating the play at all, needs to be worked on. Love A Moan On The Forum..

All others had quiet, ineffective games really.

Away Support was class once again, shame the unbeaten run had to end but at least we can be proud of achieving it, and despite some over the top stewarding from the pr!cks in yellow we did a good job creating the atmosphere there today.

Anyway to the future now, and hopefully pick up a win next week to get back on track. :ictscarf:

didnt get to the game but was at the killie game last week but i was worried with terry's interview. The st mirren interview he was angry which sounded good as he wasnt happy like the rest of us but todays he was very down beat i know we have lost the away streak but still he sounded very down whic doesnt bode well it is a poor run and it was bound to happen with our squad size but i just hope terry has ideas to stop this turning into a crisis but it aint at the moment hopefully we can get a couple players in loan or even trialists with a striker to back up rooney and some flair midfielder ever with pace or a little technique we shall see

didnt get to the game but was at the killie game last week but i was worried with terry's interview. The st mirren interview he was angry which sounded good as he wasnt happy like the rest of us but todays he was very down beat i know we have lost the away streak but still he sounded very down whic doesnt bode well it is a poor run and it was bound to happen with our squad size but i just hope terry has ideas to stop this turning into a crisis but it aint at the

moment hopefully we can get a couple players in loan or even trialists with a striker to back up rooney and some flair

midfielder ever with pace or a little technique we shall see

I didn't see Terry out of the dugout once today. Perhaps he has a wee bug of some kind.