FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Daily Record Article on Dargo

Libero

Daily Record Link

Following on from the Dargo debate thats going on just now regarding his concern at being subbed continually i read the linked article and thought it sounded like a bit of double standards from Charlie. It is well documented that we do not create enough goal scoring opportunities or create enough for our forwards to work with but it seems a tad unfair of Charlie to issue what sounds like an ultimatum to Dargo in that if he doesn't score he will be subbed. There are other players in the squad who should be scoring but aren't and are not subbed as frequently as Dargo. For example Bayne has been starting a lot of games recently and like Dargo has not been scoring regularly but still seems to stay on the pitch far longer than Dargo.

Surely a player like Dargo who, after last seasons scoring exploits, should be given some leeway to regain his scoring form and as one of our most dangerous attacking players surely its better having him on the pitch. He has the ability to pop up in a quiet game and poke away a goal so surely its more beneficial having him on the park.

As much as i have sympathy for Dargo's substitution issues i don't necessarily feel mentioning it to the press was the best way to deal with it.

This all may be a cunning ploy by Charlie as an incentive for Dargo to score more goals and if it is then fair play but on first thoughts it does seem a bit unfair on Dargo.

I don't think relations between boss/player should be conducted in the press but perhaps Charlie had to respond to the comments made by Dargo after last weekends game. The phrase "storm in a teacup" seems to spring to mind.

However, if I were to highlight one comment that we could take issue with it would be this: "If you're not scoring at home it's only natural to look to change your front two ...".

I think Dargo's frustration is that we are not changing our front two - we are only changing one of them all the time. Dargs has been subbed 11 times in 13 games while Bayne doesnt get hooked. No disrespect intended to Graham Bayne, but I would put more money on Dargs scoring than him.

With Denzil off the boil and McAllister still raw and unconvincing, our striking options are very limited. Its a shame that McSwegan has an ankle ligament injury as I think putting him into the side might have given the others a bit of a boot up the erse.

I hate it when players start gobbing off to the press - it leaves a feeling of unrest in the ranks (maybe there are?) On Saturday's evidence none of the forwards were getting a good enough service from the rest of the team to put them in that goalscoring situation. The training really needs to concentrate on the passing game because, quite frankly, we are a shite at that side of the game. I thought Darg's did quite well with what he was supplied with on Saturday.

However, if I were to highlight one comment that we could take issue with it would be this: "If you're not scoring at home it's only natural to look to change your front two ...".

I think Dargo's frustration is that we are not changing our front two - we are only changing one of them all the time. Dargs has been subbed 11 times in 13 games while Bayne doesnt get hooked. No disrespect intended to Graham Bayne, but I would put more money on Dargs scoring than him.

Completely agree, Bayne does a power of running, heading, tackling and his commitment to the team can never be in question but unfortunately isn't as prolific as Dargo which begs the question why is it only Dargo that is subbed?

People seem to overlook just how much running Dargo does for us. He gives his all every week, and while things aren't going his way in front of goal we just have have to be patient. I don't think that Dargo should be the one to make way when Charlie makes substitutions because he is a proven goalscorer and Bayne simply isn't. Dargo stated in the summer that he prefers to play with Wyness. I hope he gets the chance to do that for a few weeks running.

Would have agreed with you last season but this season Dargo has been the shadow of himself, he doesn't do half as much running as he did when he first joined the club and unless he gets the ball dropped at his feet infront of goal he generally gives it straight back to the opposing team.  I think the Hearts game was the best I've seen him play this season but to say he gives his all every week isn't true.  Saying that, I do agree with what Dargo has said, the service to him has been terrible but he should not be saying this to the press he should be shairing his views with Charlie. 

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Unless it states otherwise in his contract, ( I know that many company contracts carry such a clause which vetoes adverse comments to the scoops ) he is free to talk to the press, if a there are press restrictions included contractually, and Dargo has felt strongly enough about some issues that he felt he had to make such statements, then I would say that there are severe problems in the dressing room and as I said earlier it needs sorting out asap.

Have to back up Chibber with regards to Dargo, he has gone from a player who used to chase everything and create some of his own chances to a player who expects every ball to be given to him at his feet - and if I were to hazard a guess, I would say thats the reason he finds himself being subbed so often.

Teams at our level do not have the depth of talent to be constantly spoon feeding forwards who do little else but sit in the box waiting to knock a ball home.  So as I see it Dargo has 2 choices, he ups his work rate and starts creating some of his own chances the way he did last year or he moves on - running crying to the press is not an option and helps nobody - all it sounds like is some kind of spoiled brat having a wee temper tantrum.

Dargo, most would agree that the service you receive could be better, but when thats not happening then standing around with your finger up your butt isn't going to change anything....go looking for the ball and chase a bit more, you may just find thats enough to keep you on the pitch AND get you a couple of goals.

Unless it's states otherwise in his contract, ( I know that many company contracts carry such a clause ) he is free to talk to the press, if a press censure IS included then I would say that there is severe problems in the dressing room and as I said earlier it needs sorting out asap.

Censure or no censure, the press should not have been his first port of call for these statements.  Had he talked to CC and got no joy and felt he needed to take it further then perhaps people may have been a little more understanding.

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

There's nothing wrong with Dargo's work rate, but he does seem to huff and puff towards the end. Perhaps his fitness level has slipped.

I wont comment on dargos workrate or ability to score but I would say that he needs good service. To me Bayne is the more likely to score from set piece crosses into the box. Dargo needs the ball on the ground. If the midfield cant get it together and pass the ball about, creating opportunities for Dargo, but persist in lobbing high balls up the park then puting someone whos a bit bigger than Dargs on could give us the slight chance of scoring. Unfortunately, when the midfield is playing like that we cant hook them all so CC has to try and make the best of the way they are playing. If we could get our guys, from defence through to midfield, to pass the ball about on the ground we would create a lot more opportunities for Dargo to score. Sadly they tend to lose the plot too many times and any gameplan goes out the window.

Perhaps we should even look at changing the formation from the start. Three up front.

Guest 1MORESEASONBLACK

Dargo i feel shouldnt have vented his frustrations to the press in the manner in which he did but who can blame him. Yes he has been getting felled all to often but defenders are closing him down quicker this season. However there are no scraps for him to feed of in the box, he does not have strike partner that is carving openings for him to score or at least have a shot on target. During the 60 minutes of the Motherwell game a certain player had a high ball lofted towards him on 37 occassions- 10 times he won the ball 2 of which the oppositon keeper gathered, and one of which landed at Dargo's feet. I feel I am becoming a trainspotter but it is obvious the long ball does not work especially with the players we have in central positions. Against Hearts we played well, although Wyness missed a few sitters we were creating things along the ground. Against Falkirk we only came into our game when we started attacking them with balls along the ground. We are a footballing team and along the ground is where we play best. No disrespect to Charlie, MacCallister or Bayne but when Dargo was subbed last Saturday I left the ground - I have been a Caley fan, or  Caley Thistle Fan for over 25 years combined and this is the first time I have ever done this but the whole situation was  embarrasing enough before Dargo was hooked.

I wonder what Dargo will have to say to the press this week  :008:

Why don't you give the guy a break - he obviously spoke out last week (and I agree he shouldnt) because he is so frustrated after all that has been going on. after watching todays game he appears to lack a bit confidence now and I think this is because he has been getting subbed off all the time. he is undoubtedly unhappy and i dont think it does any good for people like you slagging him off. were you not happy when he was bainging the goals in last season???

we have to look a bit further and say that this is the worst football we have been playing for a long time now - we used to be a team that got the ball down and attacked, now all we do is boot the ball up the park as hard as we can and hope we can maybe pick up scraps. Sorry, but this is first division stuff. TBH we were unlucky not to get humped today as united  absolutely tore us apart and could have had quite a few goals but for goal line clearnaces etc. why don't you try supporting our players through a difficult time instead of trying to slag them off! :008:

I wonder what Dargo will have to say to the press this week  :008:

Why don't you give the guy a break - he obviously spoke out last week (and I agree he shouldnt) because he is so frustrated after all that has been going on. after watching todays game he appears to lack a bit confidence now and I think this is because he has been getting subbed off all the time. he is undoubtedly unhappy and i dont think it does any good for people like you slagging him off. were you not happy when he was bainging the goals in last season???

we have to look a bit further and say that this is the worst football we have been playing for a long time now - we used to be a team that got the ball down and attacked, now all we do is boot the ball up the park as hard as we can and hope we can maybe pick up scraps. Sorry, but this is first division stuff. TBH we were unlucky not to get humped today as united  absolutely tore us apart and could have had quite a few goals but for goal line clearnaces etc. why don't you try supporting our players through a difficult time instead of trying to slag them off! :008:

I'm not slagging him off, infact Dargo is one of my favourite ICT players but he complained to the media of not getting enough chances and lets face it they don't come much better than a penalty. 

I just hope he thinks again next time before he starts blabbing to the media