FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Livingston v ICT, 1st May 1999

Caleyjag

This game was the GREATEST game i have ever witnessed in my life. it had everything. ICT 4-0 down after about 20 mins......and i recall saying to my mates that i got a feeling ICT werent out of the game yet lol

I tell you this....i would happily suffer defeat in EVERY game we played IF that level of entertainment and excitement etc was garanteed. it really was on a whole other level.

Nah, best comeback was the Ayr cup game, 3-0 down and a comeback to WIN 4-3 thats a great result!

I remember getting annoyed when I heard some pundit - probably Billy Dodds(!) - claiming that Hibs coming back from 0-3 to win 4-3 against Falkirk in this years cup semi was (paraphrased) "surely the first time in Scottish Cup history a team has won from 3 down" !!!

I tell you this....i would happily suffer defeat in EVERY game we played IF that level of entertainment and excitement etc was garanteed. it really was on a whole other level.

Would you not get a bit brassed off at ICT constantly finishing bottom of the Third Division and, from 2015, liable even to be kicked out of there by the upwardly mobile Highland League champions? 

Would you not get a bit brassed off at ICT constantly finishing bottom of the Third Division and, from 2015, liable even to be kicked out of there by the upwardly mobile Highland League champions? 

Nope. I couldnt care less about what league we are in. I go to football to be entertained. My faveortie ever time for watching football, was back in the Highland league days, when proper footbal was played. Given the choice of SPL footie today...or going back to the Highland league, in the good old days.....i would go back to HL days

• Agree 1

Nope. I couldnt care less about what league we are in. I go to football to be entertained. My faveortie ever time for watching football, was back in the Highland league days, when proper footbal was played. Given the choice of SPL footie today...or going back to the Highland league, in the good old days.....i would go back to HL days

Yep, HL were better days than most of time  in SPL - but moving up thru divisions was fun.

Jeez, have you been to a run of the mill HL game recently? the standard (and entertainment) is poor, this last SPL season has been IMO brilliant, no way could i get entertained at a Clach vs Rothes game.  

If you want to go back to the the HL  -  bye bye

Edited by caley100
  • Agree 1

It still hurts me to think about this game.  What a shocking defensive display but great team comeback (well almost).

Are support was fantastic that day and nobody left early even at 4 goals down (I bet that stand had never been full before that game).

I go to football to be entertained.

:amazed: What a novel concept!  Call youself a fan?

I don't go to to football to be entertained.  I go to support my team and to belong.  I go to bleed and suffer with other members of my tribe as we slip to a lacklustre defeat on a wet and bitingly cold December afternoon.  I go to share in the sense of communal puzzlement about the team selection.  I go to enjoy a strange combination of frustration and moral superiority when none of my team seem to be able to do the most basic things with a football - things which I, of course, could do with my eyes closed.  I go to be part of the mob shouting their outrage at the officials for pulling up one of our players for being offside - when they were - and not blowing for offside against the opposition - when they weren't.  I go so that I can join the ranks of the oppressed and feel a sense of righteous moral indignation at the conspiracy behind the decisions which led to our defeat.  I go to endure the pain of defeat and that feeling that I am deserving of sympathy for my sacrifice and suffering. 

Of course its not all about the suffering of losing - there is the suffering involved in hanging on for a win when we are totally outplayed and the opposition have wave after wave of attacks and the final 10 minutes seems like an eternity.  It is worth it though for the sense of relief and achievement.  It's a bit like climbing a munro in a blizzard - you're as miserable as hell doing it but you get a great sense of achievement when you've done it.  The nervy win is also good so that you can rub salt in the wounds of opposition supporters - after all, we know how they feel and our bragging rights allow us to play on their sense of grievance and bewilderment.  If we were to play the opposition off the park,  their supporters might simply acknowledge they were beaten by a better side on the day -  and where's the fun in that?

I am a fan.  I need to suffer to bond with my tribe. I do not go to football to be entertained.

But if I am entertained then that's good too, but remember, it is the suffering that's gone before which makes the victories and the success all the sweeter.

Ok, so a bit tongue in cheek (but only a bit!)  If this strikes any chords with you and you haven't read Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch" then give it a go.  It is certainly the best football book I have ever read - even if he is an Arsenal Supporter.

• Agree 4