FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Keith

Kingsmills

All in all a good workout but can't read to much into it. Some of the football we played was very pleasing to the eye with Christie and McKay linking well in the first half. Vincent looks good and solid. Special mention for Liam Polworth who looked very good in central midfield. Brill only had one save to make from a 30yd speculative shot. Ah its good to have football back!

Edited by Big G

Some of these posts look awfully familiar to ones I made on Tiwtter during the game!

Anyway, a good workout for the guys. No disrespect to Keith but they were blowing out of their backsides after about 30 minutes. Usual 4-2-3-1 set up for us meshing into a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 as the game went on. Pretty solid backline with Esson, Meekings, Warren and Shinnie all in from the start. Cooper did well at right back. Vincent and Polwarth (Polworth?) filled the Draper / OTJ roles well and protected the back line whilst taking the ball from defence and spreading it to the wide areas for Ross and Greenhalgh to get involved. We used the wide areas a lot in the first half I felt and there was a real desire to work the ball wide rather than attack through the middle.

In the second half there were multiple changes which I can't remember. One of the most obvious was Ross pushing right up front with Mckay for a while and the two linked well . Indeed Ross played the "Shinniesta" role very well indeed. The one two he played with Mckay was sublime and he played some smashing through balls during the course of the game. Keith seldome threatened although Brill had to deal with a couple of decent efforts in the second half.

Some of our goals were really well worked. The Mckay one from good link up play with Ross in the second half was brilliant, Ryan Christie displayed predatory instincts to finish off his chances, Warren scored a typical Warren goal (rising to meet a cross and bulleting a header into the net). Felt for the Keith keeper when he rushed out to claim a ball but seemed to let it run through his arms or between his legs and Mckay was on hand to finish it off. Mckay looked very sharp indeed considering it was the first match. Meekings and Warren looked rock solid at the back. Plenty of communication to let each other know where a runner was.

Good day out topped off with some Ben & Jennys chocolate fudge brownie ice cream. Great stuff!

Some of these posts look awfully familiar to ones I made on Tiwtter during the game!

Anyway, a good workout for the guys. No disrespect to Keith but they were blowing out of their backsides after about 30 minutes. Usual 4-2-3-1 set up for us meshing into a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 as the game went on. Pretty solid backline with Esson, Meekings, Warren and Shinnie all in from the start. Cooper did well at right back. Vincent and Polwarth (Polworth?) filled the Draper / OTJ roles well and protected the back line whilst taking the ball from defence and spreading it to the wide areas for Ross and Greenhalgh to get involved. We used the wide areas a lot in the first half I felt and there was a real desire to work the ball wide rather than attack through the middle.

In the second half there were multiple changes which I can't remember. One of the most obvious was Ross pushing right up front with Mckay for a while and the two linked well . Indeed Ross played the "Shinniesta" role very well indeed. The one two he played with Mckay was sublime and he played some smashing through balls during the course of the game. Keith seldome threatened although Brill had to deal with a couple of decent efforts in the second half.

Some of our goals were really well worked. The Mckay one from good link up play with Ross in the second half was brilliant, Ryan Christie displayed predatory instincts to finish off his chances, Warren scored a typical Warren goal (rising to meet a cross and bulleting a header into the net). Felt for the Keith keeper when he rushed out to claim a ball but seemed to let it run through his arms or between his legs and Mckay was on hand to finish it off. Mckay looked very sharp indeed considering it was the first match. Meekings and Warren looked rock solid at the back. Plenty of communication to let each other know where a runner was.

Good day out topped off with some Ben & Jennys chocolate fudge brownie ice cream. Great stuff!

POLWORTH

Sounds promising for the season.

I was there!  :cool:

Out of everyone, I thought Ryan Christie was rather impressive.  He's not very big, but he's good on the ball and seems to have a decent shot on him as well.  Can see him becoming a first team regular from 2014 onwards.

Of the new signings - 

James Vincent - Didn't really notice him that much, but maybe for his position that's a good thing.  From what I do remember of him, he's like a tidier Russell Duncan.

Ben Greenhalgh - Certainly fast and skilful, could possibly do with learning when the right time to release the ball is and try and brings others into the game, and not just going for glory himself at every opportunity.  Can see him turning out to be more effective as a "super sub" this season.

Adam Evans - Seemed decent enough going forward and has a decent cross.

Dean Brill and Joe Gorman - Didn't really have much to deal with in the time they were on and seem to deal with everything they did have to deal with fairly routinely.

And leaving the best to last -

Marley Watkins - Now I know you shouldn't judge too much with it being Keith and that, but this guy looks like he has something to me.  Fast, skilful, a good cross, hard working and unselfish.  Wouldn't at all be surprised if he turns out to be the best of the lot of the new signings.  Looked promising to me anyway.   

Initially there seemed to be some tactic with the corners, where Greenhalgh and Polworth would play a short one, but it never really came off.  There was only one free kick in a decent area from what I can remember, which Greenhalgh booted over the bar.  Mckay was already off by the penalty was given, but Graeme Shinnie doesn't seem a natural penalty taker to me if I'm honest.

Keith in the news, eh? Och, well, it's pre-season so maybe I can digress a wee bit without attracting too much censure:

The original Earl of Keith (and his family) ultimately became one of the wealthiest men in Britain. I think he came over to Britain with the Duke of Normandy in 1066. Then the Duke ran out of land in England to hand out to his buddies and he moved north to the arable lands around the Moray Firth. Then they built another stronghold higher up north of Inverness closer to Wick.

The clan has a very interesting history....unbelievable actually. And bloody and dramatic like the time when the Fiancee of the Earl's son was kidnapped by another besotted north-western Chieftain , imprisoned in his tower and repeatedly assaulted until the poor lady could not stand it any more and jumped out of the high tower's window to her death. That really put the cat among the pigeons and all hell broke loose north of Inverness. Sounds like the basis for a good book ....smile ?

• Agree 1

Great game against Keith, lovely flowing football , a joy to watch. Excellent performances all round. Not so good against Forres but  great to see the younger players getting a chance in both games - Cooper solid in both games and looked dangerous going forward, Christie superb against Keith definitely a chip off the old block, Ferguson came on as a sub  for Billy Mackay in both games and looked sharp linking up well with Watkins and Christie, Gorman looked fairly solid in both games too. Bodes well for the future.