FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Red and The Blue

wynthank15

My totally honest opinion as a lover of folk music. I like the tune very much, though maybe the tempo could be upped a little. The lyrics are good as well but the chorus just spoils it. The song needs to be made a little more rousing. I think it needs a bit of a drum or bodhran beat and some base guitar added and the pipes toned down just a little. It also needs a chorus that stands out on its own with lyrics that are simple but stick in the head. Think of some of the classic folk songs. Kishorn Commando's, Northern Lights of Aberdeen, etc. Nobody knows the verses but everyone knows the chorus.

Wynthang15 dont be downheartened by some of the comments. Not everyone is a lover of our traditional music but with a little more work your song could maybe win them over. Its a very good attempt but needs a bit of a tweek.

Spot on.  I think it's a really good effort and could be something which could be worked up as an anthem for the club.  In the context of a match you are only ever going to have a couple of verses at most being sung so it is the right length.  The words are straightforward and easy to remember and therefore more liklely to be sung. 

The problem is the chorus.  for a song sung at games, you can't have any instrumental break before the chorus.  I also don't like just using "Caley" over and over again.  Apart from the fact it is not very inspiring it is bound to jar with a certain section of the fan base.  Something along the lines of...

Caledonian Thistle

Caledonian Thistle

Caledonian Thistle

We love you

just might fit the meter of the song.

I think we could be on to something here.  Certainly far better than "Bring it on home" and other suggestions.  In judging the suitability you have to ask your self, can you imagine belting out the song, standing shoulder to shoulder, holding your scarf above your head and gently swaying to the rhythm of the tune?  With this song the answer for me is a resounding "yes".

• Agree 1

The way I see it is this. Heres a young lad making an attempt at producing something everyone else has been asking for. When my children attempted something I'd never have put them down if I thought they had failed. I'd coach and encourage. Before you comment it would make sense to think of your own young folk before puting someone down for trying.

Thank you to those who offered encouragement. yes the pipes are a bit twee as someone said and we debated whether to include them or not.

Re the Chorus we did have a catchy chorus but it would have been difficult for the fans to replicate on the terraces, so we decided to inlude a chant to replace the boring Ca-Ley clap clap clap. We "borrowed" the current chorus from the French national team fans of the 70's (I'm not that young Alex) They sang allez allez allez allez allez to the exact same tune and in a covered stadium with the echo it provided it sounded great. The "ay" vowel carries a long way, and with a large crowd in a covered stadium it's rather like call and response which has a long tradition in highland music. I accept as regards the song it's not a rousing chorus but as a chant it works very well and I hope the fans use it even if they don't sing the song.

Someone has asked me for the vocal track so I presume they are going to rejig it with a different accompanyment and chorus which is great, the more ideas the better.

Have written a more upbeat song with a much more highland feel to it and a proper chorus, which I may be able to put on u tube before the Scottish Cup Final if we get there.

• Agree 1

Looks like we've got a Val Doonican wannabe amongst us

Dougal

Dougal, a rocking chair for the composer and an electric chair for you.

That's a bit harsh I like Val Doonican

Dougal

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...