Bring on the Snow

Snow more piccies

Is it just me....or does this pic hint that this was taken before the Howden End?

Without being too pedantic...I think what you mean is that the photo may have been taken before the construction of an enclosure at the end of the ground which became known as The Howden End after the garden business located there in 1965. :lol:

But yes, I believe you may well be right!

• Agree 1

As previously pointed out that particular end was always the meeting point of the faithful and the Howden end was named and immortalised by the Caley Animals and was revered throughout the Highlands. I suppose that traitors fled to the safety of the Main Stand and became detractors and mockers in the aftermath of the crooked merger. A pity that they were not all buried under this wee snowfall in a nearby town.

post-25-0-31143400-1422562639_thumb.jpg

If one gets stuck just call another !!

That could be anywhere in the Highlands, it may have been the winter of 1978/79 I think when the Black Isle was covered like this even driving a lorry was strange only seeing snow out the sides 10 feet deep in the drifts.  I was down between Culbokie and Poyntzfield in the morning and 2 guys had started to dig their car out similar to the snowplough.  Passing back up the road a few hours later they had uncovered the car only to find it would not start :swear:  :swear:   After a jumpstart to get them going they went on their way.

As previously pointed out that particular end was always the meeting point of the faithful and the Howden end was named and immortalised by the Caley Animals and was revered throughout the Highlands. I suppose that traitors fled to the safety of the Main Stand and became detractors and mockers in the aftermath of the crooked merger. A pity that they were not all buried under this wee snowfall in a nearby town.

Hardy wummin no giving a sh*t, oot with a thin coat and wee headscarf on.

If one gets stuck just call another !!

That could be anywhere in the Highlands, it may have been the winter of 1978/79 I think when the Black Isle was covered like this even driving a lorry was strange only seeing snow out the sides 10 feet deep in the drifts.  I was down between Culbokie and Poyntzfield in the morning and 2 guys had started to dig their car out similar to the snowplough.  Passing back up the road a few hours later they had uncovered the car only to find it would not start :swear:  :swear:   After a jumpstart to get them going they went on their way.

Yes, 78-79 was the worst of one or two really bad winters round about that time, to the extent that there was speculation that a new Ice Age was coming - until the Global Warming bandwagon got up and running. The photo reminds me of the time early in 1979 when I went running up Leys Brae and the ploughed snow on either side just got higher and higher to the extent that once it was a couple of feet above my head, near claustrophobia obliged me to head back down.

Early 1979 was also the period when Kingsmills Park underwent no fewer than 29 pitch inspections before Thistle could play Falkirk in the Scottish Cup.

At that time I had the misfortune to own a Simca 1300 (which was sold to me by a Thistle supporter!) and the use of jump leads was frequent to say the least.

Winter 1962-63 was also horrendous. I used to walk to school through paths dug in waist high snow. I also vaguely remember 1955 which was a bad one and I'm sure Scarlet, Jock etc will remember 1947.

I remember the winter 62/63 when I stayed outside Fort Augustus, my father was away all week as a long distance driver, 2 older sisters could not get to school for a week, I was just under 5 and had a younger sister and baby brother. No power cuts we had no electricity, no grocer van could get through with snow over 3 feet deep and when the snow melted and it froze we had no water either, my mother had to go down to the river and break the ice with a hammer to get buckets of water! And people talk of the good old days!!

Winter 1962-63 was also horrendous. I used to walk to school through paths dug in waist high snow. I also vaguely remember 1955 which was a bad one and I'm sure Scarlet, Jock etc will remember 1947.

I remember the winter 62/63 when I stayed outside Fort Augustus, my father was away all week as a long distance driver, 2 older sisters could not get to school for a week, I was just under 5 and had a younger sister and baby brother. No power cuts we had no electricity, no grocer van could get through with snow over 3 feet deep and when the snow melted and it froze we had no water either, my mother had to go down to the river and break the ice with a hammer to get buckets of water! And people talk of the good old days!!

I don't know what they may have done in 63 but in 1955 in remote parts of the North they launched what was called "Operation Snowdrop" when food and other essentials were delivered by helicopter. I have the vaguest of memories of standing on our window sill in Wick watching the helicopter landing at its base in the nearby primary school playground.

Fewer houses had phones in these days so what they did was to use the old ashes out of the coal fire to make a letter in the snow to indicate what they needed urgently. It was F for food and I think D for doctor.

At IHE's house they also used to put out a large "P"....for Pomagne :lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1