2nd Leg Play Off v Montrose

Play-Off Second Leg

It's only Half-Time in the League 1/Championship semi-final play-offs. Both games are finely poised, Inverness v Montrose scoreless and Accies v Alloa level at 2-2. Inverness had a shocker at Links Park on the artificial surface. However, the reality of the matter is we showed no urgency whatsoever and played second fiddle to Montrose throughout the game. Many fans have said this is the worst team they can remember in the clubs short history. No passion, no swashbuckle, nothing, just completely flat and zero dimensional. Only Lawal and Ridgers were given pass marks by the less than impressed Caley Jags support. As much as we have criticised the Caley Jags performance on Tuesday night, let's not lose sight of the fact that Montrose are a decent League 1 side with a good blend of experience and talented prospects. For our part, let's keep them as a good League 1 side and that means no room for faffing about. Time has run out now, there's no hiding places and no room for shirkers. Ditch the sideways passing or put goal posts in front of the Main Stand and tuck shops.

Gardiner, Morrison and the rest of the suits. Are you listening to the fans, because nothing seems to have changed and the standard of football on display is driving people away from the Stadium.

Here's a selection of comments from the forums on CTO, have a gander:

• An utterly shameful performance tonight. Mortifying to be in this position but to approach the game with such little intent or urgency is unforgivable and up there with one of the most insipid performances I can recall in such a crucial game. Genuinely one of the most depressing experiences in 30 years of watching ICT. I simply cannot see us staying up with this group of players and management.
  • Just got home and realised that instead of travelling to Montrose and enduring that p1sh, I could’ve stayed at home and watched the Eurovision semi-final!
  • Awful game.  Caley were outplayed and outfought all over the pitch.  As others have said, only Lawal gets pass marks - the only one to show a bit of urgency and desire. (perhaps Samuel, too, but he was just so isolated).  Lawal's run down the left with a great little turn gave us the only thing to cheer about, and then his shot off the bar, of course.  That was it. 
  • Imagine if we had a former Scotland U21 midfielder who had played for the club on over 100 occasions, born and bred in Inverness and brought through our youth system. Imagine he’d been available since January. I doubt he’d be as good as the loanees though so no point imagining anything apart from life in League 1 
  • Not really shocked by the result it’s the same old crap week in week out bar the odd lucky result .And by odd I mean ODD  Simply not good enough. Can’t believe a former (striker) manager plays a team the way he does!
  • We are a disgrace to the jersey so far. Absolutely honking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Match/Ticket Info

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Latest Team News

Not much has changed since Tuesday, but word has it that Danny Devine is a doubt. However, it's at the other end of the park where most of our troubles lie. Carragher and McAllister are available, Devine a doubt as suggested, and Charlie Gilmour training on grass. Think we all need some after Tuesday night... 

Mark will be a vital player for us on Saturday.

Montrose have three strikers who have totalled over thirty goals between them, so danger all around the box. We can not afford to be complacent, and we need to show more urgency, passion and quality than we displayed at Links Park.

• Like 2

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic
Posted (edited)

I will miss the game as I’m only flying back to Inverness tomorrow evening, but it definitely is a “must win” game.

We all know we are in a bad place financially, but losing doesn’t bear thinking about.

I said on Tuesday we should be on the front foot and take the game to Montrose. The opposite happened and that can’t be the case again tomorrow.

I will be glued to updates on my phone, hoping for the best but also fearing the worst.

I hope there is a big crowd that gets behind the players from the start, and helps them get the win we desperately need.

But given the club is struggling for cash, why on earth is the Sports Bar not going to be open?

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

As someone said on another thread, it’s scary when it hits you that if we don’t win tomorrow we are relegated.

We really ought to have enough quality in our squad to get the better of Montrose, but they have nothing to lose whereas we are the ones who risk playing with fear and trepidation, which would not end well for us.

• Agree 1

If we get decisions like tonight’s Partick Thistle game anything could happen how the lineman allowed the goal to stand just shows how poor the officials really are

On 3/17/2024 at 6:04 AM, Gringo said:

Shocking home stat. Just not good enough. If we drop to L1, which at this point in time seems very likely, the jobbers will be away and also big Dunc. The later isn't anywhere near proving me wrong that he is not the manager to take us forward. 

Montrose do have a lot to lose....win and they could be playing Championship football next season if they win the 'final'. Wrong to assume they have nothing to lose.  They no doubt believe they can replace their neighbours Arbroath.

• Like 1

The majority of our players have nothing to lose either, they’re loanees and will be heading off elsewhere when it’s all over.

They’ve also got very little to gain from a win so when it comes to incentive we don’t measure up too well.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

"Biggest game in the clubs history" ....we now enter a series of those. As Yngwie says.....its a little scary. Whatever happens I still say that I've enjoyed the extraordinary ride . Our success has been beyond expectations......our name has gone global.......pride in this should see us over the line. But, as others have said......how many of our current jobbers actually give a sh*t? We will find out over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, Naelifts said:

"Biggest game in the clubs history" ....we now enter a series of those. As Yngwie says.....its a little scary. Whatever happens I still say that I've enjoyed the extraordinary ride . Our success has been beyond expectations......our name has gone global.......pride in this should see us over the line. But, as others have said......how many of our current jobbers actually give a sh*t? We will find out over the next couple of weeks.

A bit like working for the NHS ? 🤔

11 hours ago, CaleyCanary said:

The majority of our players have nothing to lose either, they’re loanees and will be heading off elsewhere when it’s all over.

They’ve also got very little to gain from a win so when it comes to incentive we don’t measure up too well.

I understand that argument, but I do think that they have something to gain or lose.

Loanees are mostly guys who are looking to develop their career, and thus to impress their home club, or, indeed, other clubs.  One way or another, they are in the shop window.

So "not giving a sh*t" wouldn't be a great career move.

On the other hand, playing your heart out for the jersey that you happen to be wearing would certainly be a good sign, in my book.

Maybe I'm just too idealistic.

Hope not.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, BobbyDazzler said:

It's do or die today. My heart says a comfortable 3-0 win but my head says a close encounter with us scraping a 2-1 victory. Tbh I'll take either. 

It’s hard to imagine us winning comfortably under this manager. If we go 1 up I think we are more likely to try and defend the lead than to kill off the tie.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On hols in Costa del sol, 1 hour ahead of UK time.

hotel happy hour 1700 to 18.00 local time. Buy 1 get one free or as they say here 1 is 2, 2 is 4 etc.

scorchio today so will check the score at 17.55, last orders.

hopefully it will be extended happy hour and not the start of grumpy evening.

21 minutes ago, bishbashbosh said:

Oops, don’t know what to do if match goes to extra time

See the scene from harry potter where he buys the whole trolley? Just recreate that with pints 

I have just heard Barry Wilson on the BBC saying they are just passing side to side and no cutting edge.  Funny how people change it was exactly the same under Dodds and himself!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think we will come through this but still can't understand why Keith Bray was allowed to go on loan when he was our most creative player in the early part of the season and Nicola Udjur has been warming the bench for months when he was our best performing centre back.  Strange goings on.

Edited by robbo1985
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 1