FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Site Suggestions and Ideas.....

CaleyD

Could we change some of the users.

Back in the bygone days of div 1 and into the SPL the site was full of wit, humour and good natured banter with opposing fans coming in to have a go and join in the fun. Now it seems, there's nothing but moans about the team and players, bickering, animosity and downright rudeness towards fellow users.

Cant remember the last time an opposing fan came on for a dig. Other than HielanDee and Arab4ever, who are regulars, nobody else wants to make an appearance. And even thse two are fairly infrequent contributors now.

The reason that we got away fans on was becos we were bickering, showing animosity and downright rudeness - at least I was - now I fear moderation.  :blah01:

The reason we had more Livi, Peterhead and Ayr fans on the go was because there was a drop down menu linking us to every other team who had a Rivals site in the UK, not only was it easy to visit but once somebody registered for their own teams site they didnt have to re-register to go wandering.  If Registration wasnt required on this site and it was more widely known amongst the support of other SPL clubs, then we'd have loads of different supporters kicking about.

Pie and Bovril is used by about 2 dozen users from this site and hundreds of other fans from clubs all over Scotland, so why the **** would a Hearts, St Mirren or Killie fan go through the bother of registering for here when anything ICT related can be talked over on there.

How many of the users on this site have registered with another clubs site?  I know theres a few who are members on overthebridge, I'm registered on livilions, Hibs.net, followfollow and blackandwhitearmy (St Mirren) but I can count the number of times I visited those sites on one hand, I would say that even with a half dozen (6 fingers?) visits to other pages I've now done it more than 95% of this sites users. 

So we shouldnt complain when others dont appear on here.

Guest Calum-Red-an-Blue

how about a players blog on the site, there feelings on the game or the weeks events, or backroom staff on their part of the running of the club.

or

a Q and A with  members of the squad  & backroom staff :symbol_exclaim01:

It would be great to have a section which gave links to all online articles about ICT, from the Courier and P&J to the nationals. Otherwise we would miss good pieces like this: http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Repor...2228551,00.html

Go to the "Main Site" and have a look underneath the pictures showing the latest gallery links .... We added a number of ICT specific RSS feeds from BBC, Setanta & P&J about 8 months ago ... We also have a link on the left of the main page for NEWSFEEDS where you can find some more generic football or SPL stuff. We are happy to add any others who have a dedicated ICT feed ..... The Courier has a generic sport feed, the nationals dont tend to have a specific ict feed, and the official site has nothing .... but if you know of any that do have ICT feeds, let us know.

However, what we will do, is make things like this more apparent via the use of what we hope will be a simple and easy to use menu system, and we should also have the ability to pull some of the feeds right into the forums for discussion

Caley - Until about 3 months ago we had a "links" tab at the top of this page right next to the calendar/chat links .... We added a few sites to it, but in nearly 6 months it was hardly viewed and not a single link was submitted so we removed it ! If we come across this feature we may add it, but it wont be something we spend a lot of time on.

TCF - what you describe can go in a user profile. There will be plenty room for people to do that (or not)

Calum RnB - Think this might be something for the official site as we dont have unfettered access to those at the stadium. We did have a Q&A with Alan Savage a while back and he said he would be happy to do it again so who knows what might transpire. Its one we can keep in mind for ongoing discussions about how (if) this site can work alongside the official one ......

The feeds are useful but they can disappear quickly, and as you say, don't include the nationals as far as I understand.

I was thinking of maybe a more (semi?) permanent place where good articles, not just news feeds are collected together, so we don't miss a good interview or whatever. Somewhere, as people spot them, they can add them to the pile, and maybe let people know in the forum. Just a thought.

Something like that would involve a huge amount of time/effort to keep up to date.  Links expire and change as newspapers move stuff in to archives etc and someone would need to work daily at keeping on top of it to remove/change links to keep them up to date.  Copying articles across on a permanent basis means you start flirting with copyright issues, not to mention the server space required to store it all and the costs involved there.

The function of having the articles pulled directly on to the forum for discussion would mean that links to articles of most interest would stay around longer as they are being discussed, and in practical terms this is probably the most realistic compromise.

We're not averse to the idea of things that need a little work and effort, but we only have so many hours in the day and if users want such things then they need to volunteer some time to assist.  We have the moderators who have taken over a lot of the stuff Scotty and I used to do on the forums to free up some of our time, which is great.  Not everyone is positioned to give time, and we understand that, but if we could get even a handful of the other 1200 site members involved in writing match reports and stuff then that would be a great help, not only in easing the burden on us, but in moving the site towards becoming more community orientated. 

It annoys me on occasion that we can't get volunteers on here to write a match report as nobody seems to have the time, but I can then log on to the likes of Pie and Bovril and find that users from here have written a full page report on their feedback for the match over there within a couple of hours of the final whistle.

The door's always open for users that want to contribute more to the operation of the site, all they need to do is drop us a PM or E.Mail.  Not just writing stories or articles, but we always have things on the go that we could do with a hand on and things like our stats section are in need of constant update and entry of previous season information to bring us up to date.

I wasn't suggesting one person took it on themselves, and I do appreciate the amount of work involved. That was why I said if there was a central place for them, users could add links as they find them eg for the Herald or whatever. Many newspapers keep their archives online, so links can stay active for quite a while. I don't know if the people posting match reports on Pie and Bovril use this site, but if they do, an email to them asking them to copy them over here might get them going perhaps, so they get into the habit of posting theme here as well.