FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Travel problems Carrbridge

Gringo

Just to advise any potential rail travellers coming up for the Motherwell game, the railway line between Inverness - Aviemore will be out of use for a while due to a frieght train derailment at Carrbridge. No estimate for getting the route cleared up and repaired. Incident happened just after 1600 today. Could be a while. :wacko:

Edited by Gringo
typo

As these trains carry alot of Tesco products, you'll probably need to be quick in getting your milk and bread in the coming days :wacko:

Seriously though, we were driving back from Avimore about the time of the incident and the snow was pretty heavy around the slochd and carrbridge areas. We didnt see it (avoided it my a matter of minutes) but the photos look bad enough. It's a good job it wasnt a passenger train.

Sleeper services to/from London Euston are being diverted via Aberdeen, but as for any oter services, I'd suggest looking on relative operator websites

Allegedly, a woman was seen measuring the depth of the snow on the roof of the train, the snow then fell off the roof of the train and blocked the drivers vision.

I'm sure they will bus people to and fro from Aviemore to Inverness.

"British Transport Police said it expected that there would be disruption to rail services"

No Chit!!!!

It would have taken them hours to come to that conclusion, believe me.

As these trains carry alot of Tesco products, you'll probably need to be quick in getting your milk and bread in the coming days :wacko:

Don't waste your time going down to get your bread and milk etc...they were empty containers returning south.

Buses vice trains between Aviemore and Inverness.

Going on what I've just heard on Radio Scotland Travel, Inverness is in effect almost cut off. As at 4pm the A9 was reported as shut at Daviot and shut southbound at Blair Atholl. It is also blocked at two points in Caithness and the A96 is closed between Keith and Huntly. The railway, as we have seen above, is closed and the bus service to Aviemore from where you could take the train is presumably also out of action because of the road closure at Daviot. I believe the airport is currently open.

Does Morrisons' stuff also come up by rail? I try to buy as little as possible from Tesco for a number of reasons (although I do welcome their decision to remove the dreaded Tesco Lorries from the A9) and do most of my shopping at Morrisons.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Going on what I've just heard on Radio Scotland Travel, Inverness is in effect almost cut off. As at 4pm the A9 was reported as shut at Daviot and shut southbound at Blair Atholl. It is also blocked at two points in Caithness. The railway, as we have seen above, is closed and the bus service to Aviemore from where you could take the train is presumably also out of action because of the road closure at Daviot. I believe the airport is currently open.

Does Morrisons' stuff also come up by rail? I try to buy as little as possible from Tesco for a number of reasons (although I do welcome their decision to remove the dreaded Tesco Lorries from the A9) and do most of my shopping at Morrisons.

The airport is effectively shut for the day as well.

Will have to hope that weather improves drastically before Saturday. If not then match will probably be postponed so will not have to worry about getting up the road.

Charles, hope you don't have to resort to shopping for your messages online from Tesco home delivery. :( Although as a shareholder I will be delighted.

Eh'v had enough oh ah this snow,was meant to be back working this week,but suppliers cannae get any gear up the road, cannae get access to folks hooses and drevhin aboot the towns a nightmare, feck it,ehm going back on the drink till the weekend,let me know when the snows cleared awa eh?

Going on what I've just heard on Radio Scotland Travel, Inverness is in effect almost cut off. As at 4pm the A9 was reported as shut at Daviot and shut southbound at Blair Atholl. It is also blocked at two points in Caithness and the A96 is closed between Keith and Huntly. The railway, as we have seen above, is closed and the bus service to Aviemore from where you could take the train is presumably also out of action because of the road closure at Daviot. I believe the airport is currently open.

Inverness - Aberdeen rail line services have been suspended now too!

I think it's commendable of Tesco to use rail to transport goods. Safeway used to bring their supplies up by rail too. It's a good move in terms of the company's carbon footprint and helps towards combatting global warmi.... Hold on....

Na, in seriousness though, I like Tesco (and I'm also a shareholder).

For some reason only Morrison and Tesco trucks observe that 40mph limit, while at the same time ignore signs requesting slow vehicles to use lay-bys to permit overtaking.

On the other hand, compared with British School of Motoring cars (as opposed to learners in general) Tesco and Morrisons lorries are extremely fast! I have to say that Tesco used to be slower than Morrisons though.

Well as an ex-warehouseman(although that could change shortly) for Tesco Inshes, the lorries are very quick. Livingston to Inverness in 4 & 1/4 hours. Anyway that containers wont be empty as they will be full of RSU and empty cages heading for Christian Salvesen in Livingston(or Grangemouth) so there will probably be alot of Cardboard and Polythene srewn about the place! :rolleyes: . All these Stobart freight trains bring up is Dry Goods and Non-food so your milk will still come up via Robert Wiseman and the bread is still done by Allied & British Bakeries(two companies). See i still know the job! :D