FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

EWS needs help finding a restaurant

EWS

So basically discovered that I am going to be up North for Valentines day with my girlfiend and I now need to find a good restaurant.

Obviously living in Glasgow, I don't know of any decent restaurants in the area, and my number one choice (Chapter One in Forres) is booked up, so I need suggestions and personal experiences.

Some things to note, it cannot be a bar that serves food, and has to be a proper restaurant. It's got to be good.

Any time we have visited I always try to take the missus to Contrast or Abstract (Glenmoriston Hotel) ...

http://www.glenmoristontownhouse.com/welcome.aspx

Abstract is the one that was featured on Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmare programme when it was known as La Riviera but the problem with it wasnt that it was bad, but that it was too GOOD and was both expensive and empty ! We had the tasting menu there once along with wines and it was superb.

Contrast is the complementary Brasserie that runs alongside it and is much less pricey but with good food and a cosy atmosphere. We have gone there a few times and never been disappointed.

they both used to be in separate buildings but I believe that Barry Larsen (owner) moved them both back into one building after he closed down his restaurant in Edinburgh - I guess times are not so good ! Hope the food remains good though

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/fu..._recession.html

Very difficult to think of restaurants that are not also bars. Also depends what your looking for and your budget. There are good Indians, Chinese and Italian. There's La Tortilla Asesina which is a Spanish Tapas bar and reputed to be one of the most authentic in Scotland. There's Delices de Bretagne if you think a little french would add to the romance or you could really splash out and go for Rocpool.

Cafe one up castle street and Rocpool just over the bridge are very good places to eat, good atmosphere, good food and good service, if its pub type places you prefer take pick and take yer chance, as said above no27 is pretty good.

Cheers for the replys. Money isn't really an option, but will take a gander at all these places. Had considered the 27, but wasn't sure about the actual place.

I quite like the look of the River Restaurant...just need to get her to sign off on it.

Cheers for the replys. Money isn't really an option, but will take a gander at all these places. Had considered the 27, but wasn't sure about the actual place.

I quite like the look of the River Restaurant...just need to get her to sign off on it.

27 foods great,we were there last week, but it's still a pub that does food,Rivers also very good food but pretty tight for space,would go wi Scotty's suggestion of Abstract/Contast at the Glenmorriston for ambieance and scoff if budgets no a worry.

Edited by Heilandee

I quite like the look of the River Restaurant...

Rivers also very good food but pretty tight for space

Yeah, too cramped...

That's another reason I like the Mustard Seed ~ plenty of room, always buzzing, good atmosphere and delicious food. Perfectomundo.

It's not cramped....just a little more intimate than normal, and surely that's what you want on a Valentine night out?

There's also Dunain Park Hotel, owned by DFS, Restaurant which ranks as one of the most popular destinations for my slightly more sophisticated Limo clients.

I made the mistake of going into Casa Italiana for a pizza last year, couldnt get away quick enough, place stank, looked dirty and food was poor, just as i was leaving what looked like a group of tourists were just going to go in and i had to say ' dont go in, please! try Riva round the corner or somewhere else..anywhere else'

If you have a car i just love the Culloden Moor inn. The food there is just fabby !!! We went with the in laws when they were up one time and were so stuffed after that we thought we could roll home !!! It use to be a total dive but was bought over and renovated i love going there for dinner !!! I hope Gringojnr sees this and takes a wee hint !!!!