FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Throw in

caleycaddy

if you had asked me a year ago if we would be where we are now i would have bitten your hand of, but what is frustrating me this season is our throw ins , how often we lose posssesion from them and why we take so long in taking them giving the other side to re group. is it just me??

• Agree 1

He's only joking CC, you and 3000 others.

What frustrates me with this is our goalie not offering himself as an option more than does when the throw in is "in our corner"

I know the attacking team would latch on to this pretty quick, but there are occaisions in a game when this could be done and it would take great pressure off the defence to get the ball out of a danger area.

In our last home game, however, at least once Ryan was looking for it, which was a promising sign.

Pity we don't have the old Grant Munro long throw option anymore, he's obviosly either done something to his back, or stopped before he does.

This has been raised a few times before and is certainly an area of play where we are particularly weak. Since Munro stopped taking throws there has been nobody who seems to be able to throw the ball any kind of distance. It really is pathetic and should be worked on. The lack of movement of players not making themselves avialable is also very poor - it would be interesting to see some statistic of how often we lose possession directly at a throw in. We are also poor in defending throw ins. There is rarely a player in position to challenge the thrower for when they receive the ball back after a simple straight throw.

the throw in taker has so little options and movement.

earlier in the season nick ross and odihambo had a nice system when they would run in opposite direstion pass each other confusing the opposition but thats no happening any moreso shinnie tends to have no option to throw to.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent move for our second goal on Saturday started from ........ a throw-in! Rosscoe looks to throw down the line before seeing that Rooney had spun inside and found space. Rooney then plays a one-two with Foran (who uses his strength brilliantly to make the return pass) before cutting back for Russell to tap in. The whole thing was so well executed that i can only assume that it was planned on the training ground in response to this thread.

caleycaddy gets a green dot for an assist.

Thank gawd fer that - thought that we might have to throw in the feckin towel there for a moment. Throw ins are indeed an art and one that we are frustratingly rather inept with. Remember though that we used to complain bitterly that Grantys long throw was becoming deLapesque and used too often. It is a pity that we dont have a long throw option and even more concerning if Grant has a back problem that is preventing him/us to use the ploy. I understand that many clubs look to having at least one player to utilise the long throw option - and it is more about upper body strength and technique so dont know why we havent got one - unless we have decided it is not a part of our tactics. It would be useful when we have the likes of Rosscoe, Hogg, Rooney, Foran or Shane who could be targets.

Short and tactical throw ins are about movement, touch and pace so we can only improve. Indirect criticism but it may not be a coaching strength of Terry and Mo - and/or possibly they want to get other aspects sorted out first - but it would be heartening to see some evident planning and execution of throw ins, corners and dead ball situations.

If only our throws in could not mirror my projectile vomiting technique. :yellowcard:

What disappoints me is that not enough players are doing a run up, somersault and throw I would like to see a few rotations before the ball is released.

I would also like to see another 3 points added to the tally on Saturday and I think the latter is more important.

The three points are always nice, but it's disappointing to see the age old ritual of handing the ball back to your opponents direct from a throw in continuing. All too often we give possession away cheaply from the throw in. How difficult can it be to correct this and try and keep possession some of the time, or a bit of variation. They seem to be under order to leave it for the full backs to take and if any one else does it, look out. Maybe that's why Russell keeps getting binned.

the throw in taker has so little options and movement.

earlier in the season nick ross and odihambo had a nice system when they would run in opposite direstion pass each other confusing the opposition but thats no happening any moreso shinnie tends to have no option to throw to.

true luke, nick ross is back in training so its all good :)