FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ooooh ooooh Gary warren

CALEYJACK

The bottom line is that as long as you are scoring more than you are conceding you should be OK :smile:  There have been quite a collection of individual errors this season and more than most. Meekings would be there if TB hadnt persevered with Raven. Meekings is also learning the central defender trade and I feel in some games that TB has played Meekings as the marker when I feel that Warren is more effective in that role.

Agreed.

It's a strange one... we have good defenders that the vast majority of the fans are happy with and we recognise as being the best we've had in a while yet we are conceding quite a few.  Meh!

I believe we have potentially good defenders, Shinnie, Meekings, Devine, Taylor and Cooper who might go on to become very good defenders. Warren is a decent defender who is also improving and realising his potential as a full time player at a level above the English Conference. As I mentioned before those defenders will have very little critisism for as long as we continue to win games. I see potential right now rather than the finished article.

Edited by Snafu

Another factor is surely the style of play this season.  Both Raven and particularly G Shinnie get down the flanks a lot and this leaves us a bit exposed at times.  The team passing game also brings the defensive midfield a bit further forward so the cover tends to be looser than previously.  I think sometimes when we have conceded some of the defence is just getting back and they can be a bit out of position.  But who's complaining as long as we score more at the other end?

Meekings was signed as a right back, it was only due to injury that he was moved into the middle....and long may it continue.

you got anything to back that up?

Before he came to Inverness he had never played at RB... and was Ipswich Under 18's captain at CB?

Meekings was signed as a right back, it was only due to injury that he was moved into the middle....and long may it continue.

Before he came to Inverness he had never played at RB... and was Ipswich Under 18's captain at CB?

Makes more sense as we had Tokely and Piermayr to fill that position but as we know injuries and suspensions forced changes and I don't think we played with the same back 4 last season most of last season other than once or twice. Meekings did a decent job on the right for a player of his lack of experience, certainly very little difference between himself and the more experienced Austrian.

Correct.  Meekings was billed as a centre-back when he signed.  He also stated this in an interview with him on Alba last season.

King was getting a fair amount of praise before injury too.  I remember a fan of one of his old clubs coming on and saying that Gillett was alright but certainly nowhere near as accomplished as King.  I realise injury might mean he leaves in the summer but I hope he doesn't (scans all being well).

I was just going to mention him actually.  Is he still actually here?  He got an injury in the warm-up prior to the 4-1 Motherwell defeat at Fir Park months ago and it was reported he'd be out for a couple of weeks (there was even one report prior to the game the following week saying how he wouldn't be quite ready for that game).  That was months ago!  Is he still injured then, or has he left the building?

Warren has been fantastic since coming to us. Despite what many detractors would have us believe, moving to the SPL from the English Conference is a considerable step-up. He's not looked out of place and is a vital cog in our defence. I'm wondering if anybody knows how the disciplinary system works regarding bookings? I note that Gary is 'sitting' on 9 yellow cards at the moment - with 7 cautions in the SPL. I would hate to suddenly find he's got a one or two match suspension coming up for our crucial games pre-split if he incurred another booking.

To be honest, I thought he might have already served a ban for his 9 yellows, but I can't find any up-to-date info about the suspension criteria. As a central defender, he's inevitably going to pick up a few! Especially with two Highland derbies on the horizon! However, 9 bookings in 34 games to date isn't quite in the Ian Black league! Talking of him, he's in the Sun today telling us he's not a bad boy - he likes trout fishing in Inverness! Aye, okay! He's got me, hook, line and sinker!

He is suspended on wednesday. Cant get the link to the suspension list to post at present sorry.

Go here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/inverness-caledonian-thistle and click on each player to get card counts

I see Ross Draper is one away from suspension and both Shinnie brothers and OTJ are on 4 yellows.

Good to see our crime count is much improved from last season.

He is suspended on wednesday. Cant get the link to the suspension list to post at present sorry.

Go here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/inverness-caledonian-thistle and click on each player to get card counts

I see Ross Draper is one away from suspension and both Shinnie brothers and OTJ are on 4 yellows.

With due respect, I wouldn't give much credence to a website still listing us as having Brislen-Hall and Blackman!!

With due respect, I wouldn't give much credence to a website still listing us as having Brislen-Hall and Blackman!!

They were part of our first team squad so therefore part of the stats for this season. Maybe you think our club website must be wrong too??.

Edited by Snafu

With Hogg and King to come back we could have a real fight for places on our hands. If Meekings, Warren, King and Hogg were all fully fit and available, what would your pairing be?

Warren & Meekings - yes we have conceded goals, but I think over the season they are developing more awareness as a unit. Its up to the others to force their way in or prove they are good enough in the case of injuries or suspension. While I'd like to say Hogg he not only has to get match fit but prove his capability after being out so long.

They were part of our first team squad so therefore part of the stats for this season. Maybe you think our club website must be wrong too??.

I made no reference to our club website, Snafu. The linked website is BBC, which is notorious for errors.

With Hogg and King to come back we could have a real fight for places on our hands. If Meekings, Warren, King and Hogg were all fully fit and available, what would your pairing be?

Meekings and Warren followed by Devine for me. 

I made no reference to our club website, Snafu. The linked website is BBC, which is notorious for errors.

The club website also lists those two players.

Are you questioning the validity of the card count of Draper and the Shinnie brothers as other sites as well as the BBC have the same and if you keep a tab on such details you would know anyway such as Warren's match suspension tomorrow night?.

Snafu, Again, I haven't mentioned the ICT website. I'm quite sure it's accurate and have never once disputed that or brought into account its integrity.

Despite knowing that Warren had 9 bookings, I didn't know that meant a ban. That was my objective when I posted my 'concern' - to find out if anybody knew when/if a suspesion was imminent for Warren.

On a side note, regarding my claims that other sites are often not accurate: only last night I had to email the BBC to update the Scottish 3rd Division league table!