FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Team for Dundee Utd

RossP

With 3rd place secured, could we see fringe players like Tremarco, Polworth and Kink get a start? I'd imagine Shinnie will start so he can get a good send off, but I would be tempted to rest at least a couple of Tansey, Christie, Ofere, Williams, Watkins... and maybe even consider back up goalie McKay his first senior game.

I'm sure there will be changes in each of the next two games.  I can't see Meekings playing against Celtic for example.  But it is tricky for Hughes as he won't want to spoil the team's rhythm and general style of play.  

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks

I would go with McKay in goals for next 2 games, as have to protect Esson for Cup Final, and have to prepare for every scenario. Perish the thought, but should Esson get sent off early in Cup Final, you wouldn't want to throw a young keeper in to such an important game with zero first team experience.

To counter that, any player could get injured in training, so it's a fine balance as to best way forward. Agree with previous post that Game time be given to what have been essentially squad players this year.

Will leave it to the management team, as they haven't done too bad this year

I would play Mackay for this and Esson for Celtic as I can see us getting destroyed at Parkhead if we rest some outfielders and that wouldn't be good for Mackay's confidence. Wouldn't be good for Esson either, but he has the experience to deal with it.

I would  go with Tommy the groundsman in goals, a back two of John Doc and Kellacher, MIke Noble at left mid, the one and only Yogi Hughes at centre half, Auldie at right mid, a forward line of Russel Latapy left wing Charlie Christie, inside left, Kenny Cameron, centre forward, nice lady on reception at inside right and guy in the car park on the right wing       

I think 2 - 3 - 5 might be a bit risky as a formation but could change it round at half time if we were struggling.   

I would go with Tommy the groundsman in goals, a back two of John Doc and Kellacher, MIke Noble at left mid, the one and only Yogi Hughes at centre half, Auldie at right mid, a forward line of Russel Latapy left wing Charlie Christie, inside left, Kenny Cameron, centre forward, nice lady on reception at inside right and guy in the car park on the right wing

I think 2 - 3 - 5 might be a bit risky as a formation but could change it round at half time if we were struggling.

Can't believe you'd drop the guy in the Sports Bar that sells the Half Time Draw tickets.

I have to agree with the earlier post about playing Cameron Mackay on Saturday.  Now I've seen him in the U20s and he looks steady enough, but I'd have thought a first team game would be a different matter.  

I mean, say in the final it's 0-0 after twenty minutes with Falkirk creating loads of chances and then Esson goes off injured.  Do you really want a teenage goalkeeper, with no first team experience coming in for such a crucial game?  I'm sure I won't be the only one to admit that it'd make me a bit nervous.  We've got nothing to lose on Saturday really, so I think it's best for everyone if we let him have this one and give him some game time.

Edited by Renegade

Cup Final 11 have to play on Saturday. Hear me out...

This Saturday Falkirk will be at week 2 of 4 weeks without playing a competitive fixture. Now I don't care what anyone says this will definitely have a massive effect on them. To go from a month of nothing to a Scottish Cup final in no way can be a positive.

We, on the other hand now have the luxury of competitive fixtures with no real concern for the results, I fully agree about a completely weakened side for the Celtic game (who I'm sure will have a few scores to settle) but another game under their belts against a DU side who I don't see as overly aggressive will keep them at that higher level of match fitness going into the biggest game of our history.

Maybe re-jig the front 3 with Doran/Ross being given a chance to prove a point but that back five needs to be Esson/Shinnie/Meekings/Devine/Raven as these guys will be our Cup Final defence and they haven't played alongside each other properly all season and this Saturday is realistically the only opportunity their going to have to do that.

Of course on Saturday I don't want guys flying into 50/50 challenges but equally living in fear over their health between now and the 30th isn't going to do anyone any favors. We've been incredibly fortunate with managing to avoid too many long term injuries this season but if (touch wood hopefully not) someone does get injured on Saturday then you curse your luck, know you've got someone who can come in and replace said player but ultimately know that the risk was taken in order to guarantee that the team would be at peak condition come the Final. I think resting everyone now will be premature. 

Have some faith guys.

I don't agree about Divedee Utd not being over physical, have you not seen Ciftci, Erskine. McGowan , Dillon and the CH Gobsh**e or what ever he's called. If ever a team will try to hamper our cup final plans it will be this lot. Watch for diving, elbows, feigning of injuries and total all round cheating.

• Agree 1

Tricky. We need to get the balance right between resting players and maintaining momentum, as well as giving game time to those who will feature in the final (e.g. Devine). I'd go with:

Esson

Raven    Meekings      Warren (Devine for 2nd half) Shinnie (Tremarco at 60 min)

Tansey          Draper

Watkins                Christie (Ross or Doran at 60 min)           Williams

Ofere  

Subs: Mckay, Tremarco, Devine, Ross, Polworth, Doran, Ferguson

Time to really use the subs for more than just a few minutes at the end to waste time. You also want to give "fringe" guys the chance to stake a claim for a starting place in the final.

• Agree 1

Trying to take a 'break' from the forum. It's cringe-worthy reading some of the tripe posted on here.

By the way 'Caley fans', Raven is suspended for the Dundee United game. Thought you'd have known?

Trying to take a 'break' from the forum. It's cringe-worthy reading some of the tripe posted on here.

By the way 'Caley fans', Raven is suspended for the Dundee United game. Thought you'd have known?

It would appear that Raven is indeed still suspended - http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/Disciplinary/CurrentSuspensions/Season2014/15/PlayerSuspensions/LOS42%20(7%20MAY)%20VM.pdf

You are the best fan at knowing player availability. Well done.

• Agree 1

How can Raven miss the DU game last Tuesday through suspension, be on the bench at Dundee this Saturday but is suspended again for DU this weekend?

Yellow card accumulation I assume. When you get to a certain caution level, you end up missing not the immediate next game but the one after.

• Agree 1

How can Raven miss the DU game last Tuesday through suspension, be on the bench at Dundee this Saturday but is suspended again for DU this weekend?

Two different suspensions. Last Tuesday was for the red card, this coming Saturday for accumulating too many bookings.

Tricky. We need to get the balance right between resting players and maintaining momentum, as well as giving game time to those who will feature in the final (e.g. Devine). I'd go with:

Esson

Raven    Meekings      Warren (Devine for 2nd half) Shinnie (Tremarco at 60 min)

Tansey          Draper

Watkins                Christie (Ross or Doran at 60 min)           Williams

Ofere  

Subs: Mckay, Tremarco, Devine, Ross, Polworth, Doran, Ferguson

Time to really use the subs for more than just a few minutes at the end to waste time. You also want to give "fringe" guys the chance to stake a claim for a starting place in the final.

OK, so Raven out means that Meekings goes to right back and Devine gets the whole game.

I think Saturday would be a perfect opportunity for the lads (especially U20s) who are out of contract in the summer to give Yogi an idea whether they are good for the first team yet or not. 

Edited by ICTRoughi

If picked, both Gary Warren and Ross Draper will enter the '100 club' tomorrow. They are currently on 99 league appearances each.

The only Englishman in the 'club' is Josh Meekings. David Raven is also close on 96 caps but he'll have to wait until next season to hit 100!

But hopefully tomorrow, Gary and Ross can become the 33rd and 34th players in the all-time '100 club' list.

• Agree 1

Just out of interest can a team in Scotland get fined for turning out the reserves.

It used to be the case in England but I think they changed the rule

Although it is frowned upon because it could affect other vital league placings - are ST J and United fighting for 4th