FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Windows Xp/ Vista

CaleyJulz

Which is better ???

Is it easy to change back to xp as lap top has vista and am still trying to get my cam corder to work with vista after months of trying i am ready to give up i just import stuff from camcorder at all hell me !!!

There are bits of Vista that are far superior to XP in my opinion but in general its a resource pig. It has been the recent equivalent of "WindowsME" and will quietly disappear when Windows7 is finally released.

heres the summary page of a pretty good comparison of the two: http://www.techwarelabs.com/articles/edito...a/index_3.shtml

Personally - if your system has a big enough hard drive, you might consider a "dual-boot" system. this will basically allow you to install Windows XP and Windows Vista on the same machine and when it boots up you will be able to select which operating system starts. Installation of XP on a system that already has Vista is not for the faint hearted so you might want to get someone else involved if you are not 100% confident of your ability to do it yourself.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...ystep_guide.htm

http://www.pronetworks.org/forums/install-...sta-t88231.html

Like Scotty has said there are pro's and con's to both. However with Windows 7 scheduled for an October release, I'd wait for that rather than opt for either XP or Vista at this moment in time.

• 3 weeks later...

Like Scotty has said there are pro's and con's to both. However with Windows 7 scheduled for an October release, I'd wait for that rather than opt for either XP or Vista at this moment in time.

I've tried the Windows 7 version available and it's much better than Vista. There may be an initial problem with device drivers as it's a new OS, but I'm reassured that most companies will be releasing drivers for their hardware in due course. Official release date is around October I think.

AFAIK, the official release date globally is 22nd October. I'll be buying a copy straight away for my laptop but I'll probably wait until I have all the components for my desktop beast before going onto 7 for that.

For those interested my Windows 7 desktop beast will have:

Intel Core i7 920 (reason I'm going for the lower models is I believe the overclock very easily indeed - so I'll be going for an OEM chip and buying a quality cooler before overclocking it to 4GHz)

6GB RAM (Triple Channel DDR3 Kit)

Asus Rampage II motherboard

Nvidia GTX295 (Or equivelant at the time) graphics

2 TB Hard Disk space (2 x 1TB WD HDD's)

Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty (Or equivelant at the time) sound card with breakout box. (actually probably not - I've just found out the Rampage comes with an X-Fi)

All powered by a Corsair 620W HX.

Edited by Jay_7