FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Bill McLaren dies

tm4tj

I see that the voice of rugby Bill McLaren has died at the age of 86.

He was always so knowledgable about his sport and a pleasure to listen to. Listening to him and the likes of Eddie Waring made viewing these sports most enjoyable.

I see that the voice of rugby Bill McLaren has died at the age of 86.

He was always so knowledgable about his sport and a pleasure to listen to. Listening to him and the likes of Eddie Waring made viewing these sports most enjoyable.

Bill McLaren was in a different class from Eddie Waring. I just lived for televised rugby when he was commentating on the old Five Nations.

I virtually lost all interest in RU when he hung up his mike.

Very sad news indeed.

Truly the voice of rugby. I loved his commentaries with his little phrases like "They'll be dancing in the streets of Hawick after that one".

I was never much of a rugby fan but I gave up watching rugby altogether when he retired.

A great Borderer. Very sadly missed.

A true great, the first inductee into the IRB's hall of fame that was not previously an international player.

Listening to some of his commentaries in the obituaries on the BBC site it reminds you just how much passion and feeling he had for the game, a great loss to sport in general.