FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Celtic - out of Europe

DoofersDad

I find it funny they got pumped and Lennon still reckons it's salvageable so long as they don't conseed another goal! I just hope we don't have to endure the wrath of their Euro exit. That's my only concern.

Shambolic!

What kind of thought process do you have to go through to think that re-signing a guy who you used to buy Lee Naylor (?600k plus Mulgrew), abject failure at his new club, humiliation at Southend on Sea and shocking in the Granite City, is a good move?

Time to revist the prediction table :lol: !

doesnt do our co-efficient ratings in europe any good. Just shows how poor our teams are early on in season. If celts go out, is that them out of europe for the season completely? if so, can see them joining rangers on the floor financially, as did the board not say they had to take their time appointing Lennon to make sure they got tings right this time. Cant afford another Mowbray!

It does mean we get the coefficient our teams deserve though. Can we really ask to be anything more than a minor league?

I didn't see Celtic doing much away to the Portuguese runners-up. I thought the line-up was fine but not the way they played. Instead of counter-attacking (as a 4-5-1 suggests), Celtic tried to dominate. Little chance of that with Samaras on his own and Maloney and Ledley not supporting. I see Mulgrew's getting a bit of criticism. I think he did ok considering no-one helped him at all down the left. I'd blame either Ledley or Maloney for not covering, meaning that when he got forward, he had to go further with no-one ahead, meaning he was out of position at the back.

I suspect, financially, there's little difference between the OF. The crucial one is that Murray won't or can't put more money into the team. 5 years ago, a debt of ?30M wasn't unmanageable (they paid off ?90M before without much trouble). So, whether Celtic hurt depends on Dermot Desmond entirely.

I'm still going for Rangers for the league. Their defence is better, their midfield more settled, plus, I can't see Fortune, Samaras or Murphy scoring much, which leaves it all down to the untried Hooper. Rangers don't have Boyd of course but (even though I've been big critics of them) Miller and especially Lafferty came on to a game late last season. All to play for but I'd take the experience of Smith over the youth of Lennon any day.

doesnt do our co-efficient ratings in europe any good. Just shows how poor our teams are early on in season. If celts go out, is that them out of europe for the season completely? if so, can see them joining rangers on the floor financially, as did the board not say they had to take their time appointing Lennon to make sure they got tings right this time. Cant afford another Mowbray!

im pretty sure it does isnt it only the 3rd round losers that go to the europa league?

This is true

LOLOLOLOL Snubs Barca for Celtic

Edited by SanMiguel

im pretty sure it does isnt it only the 3rd round losers that go to the europa league?

This is true

ha ha ha, cant help but laugh

I think the co-efficient isnt affected cause Celtic were not seeded, may be wrong though

This is true

ha ha ha, cant help but laugh

I think the co-efficient isnt affected cause Celtic were not seeded, may be wrong though

lmao

sorry i meant its only 4th round losers that go into europa league

Meanwhile............Celtic had to come from 0-2 down at home to Lyon to snatch a draw with 2 goals in the last eight minutes in a friendly today. Not good news if you are a Celtic fan :_funny:

Meanwhile............Celtic had to come from 0-2 down at home to Lyon to snatch a draw with 2 goals in the last eight minutes in a friendly today. Not good news if you are a Celtic fan :_funny:

To say they were lacklustre would be an understatement!

I'd say it was good news for Celtic fans , it showed guts and passion and a little bit of skill to come back from 2 - 0 down and get a draw . An early goal at Parkhead and you never know what could happen in the 2nd leg against Braga .

Edited by tm4tj
offensive content altered

I'd say it was good news for Celtic fans , it showed guts and passion and a little bit of skill to come back from 2 - 0 down and get a draw . An early goal at Parkhead and you never know what could happen in the 2nd leg against Braga .

Agreed, while their away form in Europe is awful they can turn it on at Parkhead. If they get an early goal and then another before HT (which isn't beyond possibility) then it could be a nervy tie for the Portuguese. They just have to play with one of Mogga's 'attack' minded formations mind you. :lol:

Edited by tm4tj
Offensive content in quote altered

Agreed, while their away form in Europe is awful they can turn it on at Parkhead. If they get an early goal and then another before HT (which isn't beyond possibility) then it could be a nervy tie for the Portuguese. They just have to play with one of Mogga's 'attack' minded formations mind you. :lol:

Your right if the get one goal, another one, another one and one more they have won.

I think Hinkel (I know he'll be gone soon) and Mulgrew could do really well with a 5 at the back system. Allows both to get forward with covering for defence. Their central defence ain't too solid either, so another good reason. Mind you, that's not much good when you need to score 4 goals!

The performance last week was shocking, but to write Celtic off already is just stupid. Remember back to 2005... 5-0 Brataslava. Then at Celtic Park 4-0 Celtic and the Hoops missed a penalty.

Two good performances in the emirates cup, bar some more terrible defending by Mulgrew who is awful.

Its one thing to say the performance was shocking and Celtic have a small chance, but to write them off completely and say that Lennon will be getting the sack before the seasons over its very stupid.

Just remember back to last season for ICT. A very poor performance against Montrose who finished bottom of D3! Now thats laughable. Then we never came into a game until November. We were shocking before then. So maybe thats worth a thought before writing other teams off so early.

Nah, that's just stupid. Still 45 minutes to go, so only need one goal every nine minutes. I mean, they already have Hooper and Samaras playing and can bring on Murphy, Rasmussen and Fortune as strikers....

...on second thoughts, I guess they are out!

Seriously though, strange match. They're both defensively weak and offensively strong on the same side, so everything's getting played down Celtic's left hand side. Hooper looks like he can hold the ball up, go wide and play others in. Trouble is, that's what all the Celtic players can do. What they need is someone that never looks up but just hits the ball to goal every time, even if that means numerous shots wide, GK catches or blocks by the defenders.

Mulgrew again looks like a potentially good wing-back getting poorly played as a full-back. Brown as ever is buzzing around doing very little. Jaurez has had some nice touches. But that's it. No consistency whatsoever. Ledley looks lost but is probably going to be Celtic's best at the end of the season. The whole system needs a complete rethink. An attacking 5-3-2 if he's asking me.

Celtic have now been awarded the opprtunity to lose to Utrecht.

Motherwell v Odense

Dundee Utd v AEK Athens (cue Craig Brewster getting a lot of mentions in the media)

In the Champs League draw Spurs will surely roger Young Boys, but I'm disappointed to see that the scope for puerile jokes has been reduced since the Wankdorf was pulled down.

Edited by Yngwie