FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rangers -V- ICT : Matchnight Thread

Scotty

We can take quite a lot of encouragement from that performance. It was maybe a good time to get a little experimental with the line-up - a game where a defeat wouldn't be considered a failure - and I thought it improved the team. Odihambo had a fine game on the right wing, running at and beating his opponents regularly and also working back well. His choice of final ball wasn't always great, but he's worth persevering with there for as long as Hayes is out. Sanchez also offered a bit of composure on the ball - he's not afraid to take people on either, and looked willing to shield the ball and try to make time for effective passes. If he tracked back a little more and was willing to put his head in where it hurts sometimes, he could be really effective playing behind a main striker. There was certainly a lot more creativity going forward today than on Saturday, and Nick Ross looked very solid playing in a deeper role alongide Duff. The defence also played well: Tokely had Weiss in his pocket for most of the game and Innes and Munro look very composed playing together. No glaring weaknesses for us tonight, although the final ball could have been better, but Duff needs to look up and choose his passes a bit better, and Foran wasn't as influential as he's capable of being. We were speculating about whether he's still carrying an injury: despite the header that was touched onto the bar, he's certainly not winning as much of the ball in the air as he did last season, although admittedly tonight he was often competing against a very good header of the ball in Andy Webster.

Rangers created few real chances and got the goal at a very lucky time after we'd matched them throughout the first half. It was good finish from Davis, but it looked like we had lost concentration for a minute after surviving the previous attack, because no-one got out to close him down. Apparently Rooney was fouled in the build-up, but I don't remember the incident. Rangers definitely had more of the ball for most of the second half, but in the last ten minutes Caley Thistle were on top and there was obvious anxiety around Ibrox that we would get the equaliser and a geniuine sense of relief when the final whistle sounded.

A decent performance and a dsiappointing result then, and although Hamilton will set themselves out differently against us, I hope Terry Butcher will give Odhiambo and Sanchez another chance on Saturday. Away to listen to this much-trailed interview and then to bed.

Guess your far travelled ticket made it's way from the tin of biscuits on time then. Glad you enjoyed the game. I'd forgotted about the loss as soon as I heard Terry's post match comments, absolutely fantastic

Ach well, first time I've seen us defeated at Ibrox - had to happen sometime. Can't wait to see a replay of the 'Rooney foul' incident.

Terry Butcher is a lad.

Actually, if you listen to TB's post match speech/rant you could almost be forgiven for thinking we won the game.

It was certainly a moral victory.

I thought Rangers played us well last night, allowing us a fair bit of possession but never the space to do much with it. Our line-up was pleasantly surprising and Sanchez and Odhiambo came out of the block like two players who don't have many chances left. Eric looked far more comfortable playing wide right and it would nice to see him get a run there until Hayes is fit but Sanchez faded, ran up too many blind alleys and really needs to track back more if he wants to play in this team. We look far more fluent with Nick Ross playing deep with Duff rather than two out and out holders, though once again, it's very harsh on Russell Duncan. He must be the most dropped player in our history. The back 4 was solid once again - Rosscoe is always heroic in these games. We're on a bad run but we've lost none of our spirit and organisation, we just need to find the right blend in attack.

• Agree 1

Was a good effort last night. Frustrating, but can't complain about effort. Rossco was inspirational. Eric did a heck of a lot of running but far too often lost the ball at the end of it. I thought Sanchez played well. Duff back in midfield doesn't work IMHO. He's great in defence but he seems to get the ball and automatically pass backwards. Good all round performance though and great pre-match karaoke from the regulars in Brechins!rotflmao.gif

got back to southampton at 10 am this morning, fantastic experience! i was the lad wearing a parka coat sat next to the 2 /3 chappies not stop chanting (quality)

how many of us were there? i was a bit scared at 19.10 when i walked through to find only 4 ict fans

You got back to Southampton as I was ending my first two hours at work after only 3 hours in bed (not enough for an old coffin-dodger : its catching up on me now!) Next time you come to one of our games, please introduce yourself to us (the ladies who shout and cheer and are always at the away games - there will always be someone to point us out!)(especially if Johndo is there, he knows all the ladies). Hope you enjoyed your night, despite the result. Meet up next time, ok?

You got back to Southampton as I was ending my first two hours at work after only 3 hours in bed (not enough for an old coffin-dodger : its catching up on me now!) Next time you come to one of our games, please introduce yourself to us (the ladies who shout and cheer and are always at the away games - there will always be someone to point us out!)(especially if Johndo is there, he knows all the ladies). Hope you enjoyed your night, despite the result. Meet up next time, ok?

that would be brilliant thanks.

was born in inverness but dad was in the air force so had to live in germany and england. only ever been to 3 ict games including rangers.

st johnstone away the year we went up to the prem the first time and partick away fa cup replay when we lost on pens.

am hoping to get more involved and hope to be at dundee away or kilmarnock away later on this season, so may seee you then! :twothumbsup:

that would be brilliant thanks.

was born in inverness but dad was in the air force so had to live in germany and england. only ever been to 3 ict games including rangers.

st johnstone away the year we went up to the prem the first time and partick away fa cup replay when we lost on pens.

am hoping to get more involved and hope to be at dundee away or kilmarnock away later on this season, so may seee you then! :twothumbsup:

That means there must be another Southampton likely lad at our games. I'm sure I saw a Southampton tracksuit top in our end at Tynecastle.