FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Away Fans Issue....

CaleyD

Maybe once the powers that be finish persecuting supporters for the heinous crime of standing up they'll get around to takling the bigotry and hatred that spew out of the away end each and every time the Old Firm come to town. I'm sure we'll get the usual songs glorifying terrorism this weekend while a blind eye is turned.

• Agree 1

Just for the record...I've never worked out why people can't sing and chant and have a good time whilst sitting down...

Have you ever seen/heard a good choir sing sitting down all the time? Standing gives your lungs more capacity and unrestricted air flow so allowing you to sing louder. Therefor, creating a noise which if put together with fellow singers,= support that helps drive team on, and therfor, creates an atmosphere.

Drink, allows those of a quieter disposition or shy, like myself, the ability to join in with the choir. making more noise= more support for team and creates an atmosphere

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

A small observation here. I recall hearing a radio programme once on BBC Scotland where the presenter talked of the cultural impact of the Kirk on football in Scotland - I'm not talking about bigotry here. I think it might have been Stuart Cosgrove who made the point. He likened singing at football together as being the same as in church. I think most congregations stand up when the minister comes to the pulpit, and most stand when signing hymns. Comparing it to football, most people stand when their team comes on to the pitch and therefore standing to sing at games must come naturally?

Edited by Top Six Next Year
  • Agree 1

I've never seen anyone thrown out for standing, but I have seen a few thrown out for the abuse/backchat they give to the Stewards when asked to sit down.

I'm of the opinion that maximum speeds on motorways etc should be increased, but if I was caught speeding and the copper wanted to just give me a warning, I wouldn't turn around and tell him to feck off before speeding away with my tyres burning!!!

• Agree 1

But a police officer in that situation doesn't come over being aggressive though. They'll communicate with the offender and probably ask them what they've done wrong. Surely there's a difference between breaking the law by speeding on a motorway (which could result in fatalities) and breaking a rule by standing at a football game? It doesn't help when the stewards get in the faces of the paying customers though - the customers who are paying their wages. I stood during our 2-2 game at celtic park - I had to because if I had sat I wouldn't have been able to see a fair amount of the play due to the wall. The stewards were ignorant, unpleasant and downright rude to be honest about it. Think back to the way the stewards acted at st mirren park a few months ago - bang out of order. Even at our ground there is one steward i can think of who is OTT and is putting people off from going to games. (I very much grudge paying her wage to be very honest). There's only one solution to this - don't go to games and don't pay their wages.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

There's a lovely lady steward, often at Section G, North Stand, who has banter with all the fans and gives out sweets every time she is on duty there. She is always smiling and gets the best out of everyone. Now, she's an example of how to be a Steward (I think her name's Helen). I hope she's there tomorrow.

• Agree 1

There's a lovely lady steward, often at Section G, North Stand, who has banter with all the fans and gives out sweets every time she is on duty there. She is always smiling and gets the best out of everyone. Now, she's an example of how to be a Steward (I think her name's Helen). I hope she's there tomorrow.

I know who you mean - yes she's lovely and very sound. I'm thinking of an incident during the Morton cup game though where a steward was completely out of order though. It was very disappointing and sad to see an adult speak to ICT fans in the manner she did. This isn't the place to discuss it though.

Just for the record...I've never worked out why people can't sing and chant and have a good time whilst sitting down...

I like to sing and chant and do star jumps at a game to keep warm. Easier to do that standing up :biggrin:

Edited by RiG
I'm a moron who can't spell.

If Carlsberg made stewards they would all be like Helen!

• Agree 1

We've been here many times before. We wouldn't have this debate if the rules the stewards (good or bad) weren't so stupid. Bring back terracing and atmosphere!

THere's nothing like terracing to keep the backs of your legs warm in winter, at least for a couple of minutes. :tongueincheek:

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe once the powers that be finish persecuting supporters for the heinous crime of standing up they'll get around to takling the bigotry and hatred that spew out of the away end each and every time the Old Firm come to town. I'm sure we'll get the usual songs glorifying terrorism this weekend while a blind eye is turned.

Absolutely spot on - and (I fink) that DalneighCaley was being sarcastic ( :tongueincheek: ) but I am probably the main offender this season - but every time I have been thrown out or threatned to be - I have been told that my "crime" was "inciting others to stand up" - my "offence" is that I start off chants and encourage others to join in to give the team that I love to hear the support.

I am an old git I only stand up to sing - but because I am a recognisable and stand out "character" I am singled out. At the end of the day I aint a hooligan or incitng violence - I am merely trying to get a feckin atmosphere going and honestly trying to attract more yoof to suuport their local team and encoraging feckin craic and banter. Get the polis in to the OF stands and chuck the feckin stand up bigots out of Scottish Football grounds.

I stood up at Midden fer most of the first game without a word of warning and then I get warned the next game fer the second time I stood up. I stand up at Killie, Muvversmell and Hearts every game - and just look at the manner in which the away support was traeted - completely different - at the two Hibee games.

At the end of the day I am informed that it is actually ICT (our management) who point out the "troublesome" individuals - do they have a feckin hidden agenda ?

• Agree 2