FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Highland March 10

Gringo

HM10 approaches the Essich Roundabout. A truly awful day weatherwise with driving in-your-face rain / sleet. Four of the crew are still on for the home run which remarkable. The guys have shown great determination this year and have overcome all the logistical problems thrown at them by some bad weather - by far the worst ever experienced on a HM.

Magnificent effort by everyone on board this years Highland March.

Never before have we encountered so many logistical nightmares and overcome each and every one of them.

We've added around 10 miles (if not more) to the initial route due to the weather, climbed hills peaking at over 2,500ft, fallen into bogs, climbed over trees, trenched through marsh-land and rivers, encountered all 4-seasons during the week, and still made it to Inverness by this afternoon! Even I'm amazed!

Many many thanks to everyone who showed us support and best wishes. It really does help us on the road.

Remember though, we're not finished yet!!!

Essich Roundabout to the Stadium is the final leg - 5 miles. We'll leave Essich roundabout around 1030 and make our way to town via the castle and falcon square. We'll make our way to the Innes bar for a light refreshment and then, along with a few members of the CLAN, we'll leave the Innes at 1pm to make our way to the stadium for 2pm...

Where exactly do you sleep at the Essich roundabout? Just got visions of several tents pitched in the middle of it! Or is it a cheeky night at the Lochardil House Hotel? :-p

That would have been a great idea.

The Highland Marchers will set off from the Essich Roundabout at approx 1030 this morning and walk into the city via the castle. We'll regroup at Falcon Square before ambling down to the stadium via the Innes. We have to be at the stadium for 1400 though. It would be great if some of you could join us or pop along to Falcon Sq to say hello. ETA Falcon Sq is 1145.

There is also a vintage car display going round the town around the same time, could be busy chaps. Well done for the fantastic effort from all of you. :rasta:

Cheers PT. Was great to see yourself after so long too. The win will make your trip back south a more pleasurable one I am sure!

I've just calculated the route once more using gmap pedometer.

The initial milage was plotted as being 160 miles and was as close to 'as the crow flies' as you can get. So much so that the route didnt deviate from that line by any more than 2-miles either side of it.

Unfortunately we had to change our course on more than one occasion, all due to weather circumstances.

Our total milage therefore has come out as being 172.1 miles - the first time, we think, that we have added to our planned milage, rather than reduce it.

Once again, many thanks to everyone for their support. Some pictures are on our facebook page. If anyone has any photos/video's of the Highland March from this year or others, please PM me as it'd be great to see them. cheers

• Agree 1

Unfortunately, PT, although it was the tenth event, it is only the 9th completed end-to-end.

The logistics last year of making Hamilton in 3.5 days ended that record. Even so, I'm personally delighted to have completed every 'possible' one, as well as bring back the fun of Highland Marching.

I can't wait to see the fixture calender for next season so I can book time off work for next year's event!!!

As usual, there'll be a diary. Unsure when this'll be online, but like I said, pictures are already emerging on the HM FB page.

• Agree 1