FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Craig Dargo

TinRoofMan

1st division is probably about his level now, im sure even hed admit now leaving us was a huge mistake.

Yeah leaving one football team to go to another where he was getting paid more money will definitely be causing him untold grief right now.

1st division is probably about his level now, im sure even hed admit now leaving us was a huge mistake.

Yeah leaving one football team to go to another where he was getting paid more money will definitely be causing him untold grief right now.

Yes because all anyone cares about is money.

Wasn't it more to do with going down south that was the motivation?

Anyway, I'm surprised he's moved into coaching. Can you imagine: "you've got tae play through the pain barrier, son". The natural response must be "aye, you first, gaffer".

He was able to get paid, if rumours are to be believed, around 2 - 3 times as much money for doing the same job which will have allowed him to better provide for his family. How can you construe that as being some sort of mistake?

He was able to get paid, if rumours are to be believed, around 2 - 3 times as much money for doing the same job which will have allowed him to better provide for his family. How can you construe that as being some sort of mistake?

Because it was horible for his career. It basically killed his career.

He himself couldn't deny that. And he probably regrets that. How much further would he have gone had he stayed with us? If I was him that's what I'd be asking myself

I seem to recall that we offered him the best deal we could afford at the time, if St Mirren could trump that by 2-3 times then i'm not surprised he moved. I always thought ourselves and St Mirren were fairly level in terms of the wages we could offer

That also depended on how many players we had signed, as back in the day we already had most of our squad settled and already signed. St Mirren could have been looking for a big name signing to appease fans, leaving less for the lesser players. Financially it was the right move for him, career wise - maybe not, but then his injuries could have started again the following season at TCS!

He himself couldn't deny that. And he probably regrets that. How much further would he have gone had he stayed with us? If I was him that's what I'd be asking myself

I'd be interested to know how it "killed his career". He might not have scored as many goals but he played as many games in three out of the four seasons he was in Paisley. It's not as if he went to St. Mirren and never played.

Edited by RiG

I'd be interested to know how it "killed his career". He might not have scored as many goals but he played as many games in three out of the four seasons he was in Paisley. It's not as if he went to St. Mirren and never played.

He played for the first couple seasons and was gash, they brought in higdon and after that he couldn't get a start and he spent last season at Patrick and Dumbarton when he could've got a bigger move if he waited and performed like we knew he could with us.

From my perspective the evident added attractions was more spondoolicks and a move back to the Central Belt. Lets face it - he was'nt going to achieve much with us and he must have left at a time where there was a feeling of "unrest". In retrospect it was a bad career move but he did pick up injuries as well. You could say the same thing about Rankin and possibly even Rooney.

My guess is that even if he had stayed with us he would have been a lot less effective than in that purple patch of about half a season with Wyness. Even during that spell his goals tally was boosted by all the penalties he took. He did absolutely the right thing in putting his family first by increasing his earnings.

• Agree 1

He played for the first couple seasons and was gash, they brought in higdon and after that he couldn't get a start and he spent last season at Patrick and Dumbarton when he could've got a bigger move if he waited and performed like we knew he could with us.

In the two seasons that Dargo and Higdon played together before they both left St. Mirren at the end of the 2010/11 season they played 38 and 33 games respectively. The season before, their first in the same team, they played 29 games and 39 games respectively. Doesn't look like Dargo "couldn't get a start" when Higdon was there.

Could Dargo have gotten a bigger move by staying with us? Of course but that's not to say he couldn't also have done that at St. Mirren where he was also collecting a larger wage whilst still playing at the same level and he was able to do this for a further four seasons. Doesn't sound like a killed career to me.

Your point about him moving to Partick and Dumbarton is moot. By this stage he was 33 / 34 so he was hardly likely to be winning a big move at that stage of his career.

In the two seasons that Dargo and Higdon played together before they both left St. Mirren at the end of the 2010/11 season they played 38 and 33 games respectively. The season before, their first in the same team, they played 29 games and 39 games respectively. Doesn't look like Dargo "couldn't get a start" when Higdon was there.

Could Dargo have gotten a bigger move by staying with us? Of course but that's not to say he couldn't also have done that at St. Mirren where he was also collecting a larger wage whilst still playing at the same level and he was able to do this for a further four seasons. Doesn't sound like a killed career to me.

Your point about him moving to Partick and Dumbarton is moot. By this stage he was 33 / 34 so he was hardly likely to be winning a big move at that stage of his career.

in 4 seasons he had 54 starts and was used as a sub 40 times and he scored 9 goals.

all im saying is that at ict he was a success, he left and his careers went downhill since, indicating he made a mistake by leaving.

I don't think Dargo will have any regrets about leaving ICT when he did. A lot of people like to play up the "Caley Curse" thing but I don't think this is one of the situations where it can be so strongly applied.

We're always going to be a club who loses players but we get new ones. Soon players like Dargo are forgotten as we get behind someone like Rooney (has he made a mistakeleaving ICT?) and so on.

Dargoals went to st mirren and stayed in the spl, but we were relegated. Being paid twice the amount plus not facing delegation wasn't a bad move at all. He might not have performed as well at the saints but Im not sure if he'd have done any better for us the following season.

I remember a time when there was talk, even while he was here, of Dargo being called up to the Scotland team and also at one point talk of he and Ross Tokely signing for Nottingham Forest, but alas it was never to be. Dargo had a career blighted by injuries and would have undoubtedly have gone further had it not been for this.

Dargo at the time of leaving ICT, was offered the biggest deal ever offered to a player at this club, but his choice was to move closer to home with team offering him football at the same level but for a lot more money, He had stayed put, it's possible that the injuries would have returned, particularly with him getting older and with him (by ICT's standards) on a massive wage, then would have been no good for us at all. By leaving ICT, Dargo was able to play at this level even after his former club was relegated. In that sense he may even have prolonged his career at this level and to suggest anything otherwise or particularly that it "killed is career" is just plain laughable.

• Agree 2

His injuries had already flared up before he left but the season after we did miss him as none of our strikers following that were very prolific. Wyness got 6, Niculae got 8, Bayne got 2 and Dean McDonald got a big fat zero in front of goal and the following season was even worse.

There was no question that he had left a difficult task to follow which wasnt matched until Adam Rooney's form developed some 3 years later.

The move to St Mirren maybe didnt kill his career but definitely killed the reputation he developed during his time at ICT.

No one can say a player blighted his career and it was "a mistake", in retrospect. First of all no one can truly know all of the reasons whay a Player may leave any club and move on.

Every move he makes broadens his outlook on football and also on life so a mover always benefits one way or the other.

If he did not do as well as some people had expected maybe the influences on him would have been the same no matter when he left//moved.

Folks, never be afraid to try something new--what you gain and what you lose always depends more on your attitude and outlook (positive or negative) than on outside influences--which you always have the option to change by another move. :love02:

• Agree 1