dougal's match report

starchief

We knew we were lucky from the start to even be in the semi-final, so the few fans that turned up were very grateful.  It wasn't anywhere near Ross County's number for the Scottish Cup final.  That may have been because that was the Scottish Cup final in sunnier climes, but we all really knew it was because ICT is really a made-up team with tens of thousands of people ready to turn their back on the club and support a real team, like Ross County.  And all credit to the Staggies for being so magnanimous in letting them.

From the off, Hearts looked the better side.  Their style was very counter-attacking, with some great defensive play.  At one stage, Hearts were drawing the Inverness (although not all Inverness as this is a merged team) attack so well, the Hearts' keeper was deeply involved, unlike Brill.  So, player-wise, Inverness (if we can really call that a team) were losing 10-11 in players.  Even a toe-poke from Tansey couldn't calm our nerves.

Warren was sent off very contentiously.  Why oh why, the supporters (the ones left after the merger turned most of them away) was Warren sent off when two players blocked off a certain goal?  It had to be two red cards but no!  Only Warren went.  All the fans around me were saying they only wanted to win fairly, not with this referee favouring us.  At least, they said, Ross County won their semi-final fair and square.

To no-one's surprise, Hearts scored with a brilliant goal.  Hammill, amazingly, managed to bounce it off a couple of players.  I couldn't stop myself from applauding.  Hamill scored again from a free-kick.  Well, that's what happens when we try to kick the better team off the park.  I applauded again.

Meekings then attempted to break the leg of a Hearts player and was rightfully sent off.  He was heard whispering under his breath that it was a fair enough decision.  I think he also made a swing for the referee but a Hearts player shouted 'Remember Ross County' and Josh was immediately ashamed.

Time was up but the referee, as usual, gave Inverness (I won't call them Caledonian Thistle to stop any real fans being offended) the benefit of the doubt, allowing what seemed like hours of injury time.  Ross then scrambled in what looked like a foul on the goalkeeper.  And he was offside too.

It then went to penalties.  The most unfair way of winning.  Despite Celtic being a better team, Ross County didn't need penalties in their semi-final.

So, all-in-all, a win.  But in the most unsatisfactory way possible.  But then, it is only the League Cup, so it's not like we made it to the Scottish Cup final, unlike our gallant neighbours Ross County.  It was probably because of the merger.

• Agree 6