FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The world cup!

Ayeseetee

Not at their best but victims of 2 brilliant performances.  Chile really impress with their workrate and the way they play as a team.  I can see them causing any team real problems.  Australia are a bit unfortunate also to be on the way home so soon.  They have done better against Holland and Chile than Spain have.  I expect they will be really up for the game against Spain whereas Spain will want to be on the plane home.  Whilst that will be the first meaningless match in terms of progression in the Tournament, it could be a very interesting game.

2014: the year that sees the demise of tika-taka possession football

2014: the year that ICT jump on the tika-taka bandwagon

:blink:

In that vein, I'm sure when the players return for pre-season training they'll enjoy reminding Yogi of his prediction from this short clip!

http://sport.stv.tv/fifa-world-cup/news/278615-scottish-premiership-managers-give-stv-their-world-cup-predictions/

The 2 minute clip ends with Strachan's customary sarcastic put-down to a journalist - I don't think it was because a female asked the question - it's just Gordon!

On a side note, well done to Cameroon. Not many had them down to reach the same stage of elimination as Spain!

I see that Yogi tipped Spain on the basis that they play football the way football is meant to be played.  I'm afraid I disagree.  In 2014 they won the world cup by scoring just 8 goals in 7 matches.  All 4 of their games in the knock out stages were 1-0 victories.

There is no doubting the technical abilities if their players but other teams have moved onwards and are wise to the style of play.  The Dutch destroyed them with the quality of their counter attacking play whilst the Chileans totally out-thought and out-fought them.  They took the game to Spain but constantly pressed Spain when they had the ball.  When Spain did get forward Chile put 5 narrow at the back to stop them going through the middle and Spain simple did not have the players to go wide and get behind the defence.

Notwithstanding that the tactics eployed by the Netherlands and Chile produced winds against the World Champions, the attacking play of the Dutch and the Chileans was simply far more entertaining to watch than anything Spain could produce. 

• Agree 1

I always found this tiki taka tooky wooky stuff always a dull as dishwater to watch.  Endless passing is boring and not exactly going to get people through the turnstiles - if anything it'll turn people away.  The Chile, Netherlands, Colombia, Germany etc, get the ball and attack - IMO that's good football and far more exciting to watch.

• Agree 4

Dear England, As your nearest neighbours we would like to offer condolences for your sad loss.  At times like this it can be hard to find the right words, so we've made a short video instead.

http://www.joe.ie/football/world-cup-2014-brazil/vine-scottish-fan-goes-absolutely-nuts-celebrating-suarez-second-goal-with-uruguay-fans-in-brazil/

• Agree 2

England aren't out of it yet.  Italy to beat both Costa Rica and Uruguay, England to beat Costa Rica and it comes down to goal difference between 3 teams on 3 points.  England then win their next 4 games on penalties and come home with the trophy.  I'm not putting money on it, though.

Lots of doom and gloom, understandably, but as you say they can still go through if the 3 remaining games in the group are each won by the favourites.  So it's very possible - although the first 3 games in the group were each won by the underdog!

Dear England, As your nearest neighbours we would like to offer condolences for your sad loss.  At times like this it can be hard to find the right words, so we've made a short video instead.

http://www.joe.ie/football/world-cup-2014-brazil/vine-scottish-fan-goes-absolutely-nuts-celebrating-suarez-second-goal-with-uruguay-fans-in-brazil/

Don't worry when you get independence we wont vote for Scotland in the Eurovision Song Contest!

• Agree 2

Don't worry when you get independence we wont vote for Scotland in the Eurovision Song Contest!

If I recall correctly jedward managed to get more votes than the uk when they represented ireland so would should be ok  :tongue:

I doubt we can convince susan boyle to dress up as a woman again so we wont win...

Edited by Ayeseetee

So England are out.  No more than they deserved.  Unfancied Costa Rica have beaten both the sides who beat England, and in doing so played with a passion and work ethic that England could never match. 

England have been poor for years imo, only the media building them up to be potential world beaters.  They have no world class players, a poor defence, little creativity, and no strike power.

Costa Rica and Chile in this world cup, both unfancied central/south American sides, have shown how the game should be played.  Good luck to them. I hope they go all the way.

the first 3 games in the group were each won by the underdog!

4 out of 4 now. Quite remarkable, but it also has me kicking myself.  Last weekend when Costa Rica were 1-0 down at half time, I was looking at the odds for which team would win that group.  They were 50/1 which seemed quite generous for a team that looked they could play a bit, and I was literally within a mouseclick of putting a cheeky couple of quid on it before deciding it would almost certainly be money down the drain. :sad:

• Agree 1

Was that the worst ever performance from an Italian team?  Fair play to Costa Rica who played very well, although they will be very exposed by any side with more than a schoolboy's nouce of how to stay on-side.  It was an unbelievably incompetent attacking display from Italy who were useless even when they did beat the trap.